JLUR - Xtreme Recon Package or Clayton Overland Lift

Psyvad

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLRU Diesel
After months of looking, I'm getting close to placing an order for a new JLUR. As the Jeep will be spending 95% of its life on the road with the rest driving at a good pace on dirt roads, I would like the option that gives the nicest on-road ride while still soaking up the high speed bumps on trails. If I don't go with the Xtreme Recon Package, I will probably go with the diesel engine option.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Both are good options, I think the XR package would save you some money especially due to the 4.56 gearing and bigger 35" tires standard

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Don't forget, the XR package also comes with the M210 HD tube axle. So the tubes are 10mm instead of the 7.0mm~ on the standard rubi. That alone with 4.56 is worth the money.

Along with the cast knuckles, 4.56, reinforced tail gate, and 315s.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
All of that hardware is meaningless for a Jeep that’s going to spend 95% on-road and the rest 5% on forest roads.

I’d take the diesel. And then add a good lift, like the Dynatrac EnduroSport, to get the best possible ride.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Just hearing so many issues on the forums with the ecodiesel within the JL platform, id rather wait a year or two until those issues are fixed.

Personally to me, the XR is worth it. Depending on the pace he's talking about on dirt roads, he could leave it in stock form with the 315s from factory. Not even having to purchase a lift, depends on if you're the type that wants to upgrade or not. I'm already throwing a 3.5" lift on my XR and I'm only at 300 miles.

Sponsored

Omotose

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Extreme Recon
I’ll be watching this. I did get the extreme recon package and very much appreciate the beefier running gear and spare tire storage. I’m on the fence for a lift. I need more wheelin time to figure out if I want better suspension than what I currently have. If I did go with a lift the first one I want to check out is the Clayton 2.5” overland. I need to talk to their tech folks.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
All of that hardware is meaningless for a Jeep that’s going to spend 95% on-road and the rest 5% on forest roads.

I’d take the diesel. And then add a good lift, like the Dynatrac EnduroSport, to get the best possible ride.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
I was just trying to point out the XR package has more than what most people realize.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I’ll be watching this. I did get the extreme recon package and very much appreciate the beefier running gear and spare tire storage. I’m on the fence for a lift. I need more wheelin time to figure out if I want better suspension than what I currently have. If I did go with a lift the first one I want to check out is the Clayton 2.5” overland. I need to talk to their tech folks.
There is a few pages here on the forums people have been talking about the XR and 392(same axle aside from FAD and Shafts) . Showing 2.5" and 3.5" lifts and other upgrades. Jeepeto has a good build going as well.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I could be wrong, but doesn't the diesel get you the axle upgrades also?
How about the diesel Rubicon?

double J

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon Xtreme
Xtreme recon package only available with v6 pentastar etorque, or 392.

Sponsored

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
I am a big fan of Clayton Off Road and have run the 2.5 overland plus kit and recently upgraded to their 3.5 inch springs to clear my 38s easier. I have run them for over 50k miles without issue and they work great. Since the Extreme Recon already comes with a 2 inch lift you could just add the components it's missing. Buy the Clayton control arms, track bars, etc..then you have the best of both worlds with adjustability.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

95% on road and 5% at a good pace on dirt roads... you could get away with a base model sport.

The XR suspension handles dirt roads just fine, but comes with a lot of other goodies that makes it a great daily driver. Things like proper gearing and bigger brakes.

TBH, the beadlock wheels made the biggest difference in comfort on "dirt roads" and embedded rock trails that seem to rattle your teeth loose. It requires you purchase separate rings and maintain them, but it's a huge difference in comfort. Your suspension doesn't have to work that hard if the tires already took care of most of the bumps.

Just my 0.02$

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
95% of jeeps spend 95% of the time on road :LOL:

All depends on what you want. XR package is a great deal for a JLUR. Can’t beat it aftermarket.

But you don’t need either…. Buy what you want…. What fits your personality and budget. XR package is turnkey. Adding a lift is a lot of fun. Picking wheels and tires and making sure everything is torqued and aligned is perfect for a detailed personality. Buy what fits.

trekster

First Name
Trekster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Extreme Recon
I am a big fan of Clayton Off Road and have run the 2.5 overland plus kit and recently upgraded to their 3.5 inch springs to clear my 38s easier. I have run them for over 50k miles without issue and they work great. Since the Extreme Recon already comes with a 2 inch lift you could just add the components it's missing. Buy the Clayton control arms, track bars, etc..then you have the best of both worlds with adjustability.
How would you rate the 3.5" / 2.5" suspension on the road, comfortable on long road trips and off road? I've got a 2022 Rubicon Extreme Recon on order, want to run 37s and add a 3.5" inch lift. Had a JK lifted 3.5" 35s, great 4 wheeling, highway driving was tough because of the ride.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
How would you rate the 3.5" / 2.5" suspension on the road, comfortable on long road trips and off road? I've got a 2022 Rubicon Extreme Recon on order, want to run 37s and add a 3.5" inch lift. Had a JK lifted 3.5" 35s, great 4 wheeling, highway driving was tough because of the ride.
Very comfortable, it's all in the shocks you choose. I think the Fox 2.0s pair great!
Sponsored