jbzonda

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Night Eagle
Hey all,

I was a little surprised at how much sag there was on the stock JLU sport suspension....
Was way within towing capabilities:

Trailer: Approx 1,110kg (2,450lb) (with all contents onboard inc full water tank, fridge, etc) with a GTM of 1,500kg (3,300lb)
Trailers tare towball download is 140kg (310lb) but not sure what it was fully loaded, though i dont expect it wouldve been over the Jeeps 250kg (550lb) capacity.

All that is well within the braked towing capacity of 2,495kg (5,500lb)

Yet, the sag seems quite excessive sag for a setup well within limits to me, but maybe im wrong? Anyone else experiencing this? Seem plenty of others on the road with different cars with similar setups dont have so much sag. Is this just a Wrangler thing with softer stock suspension?

Any comments or considerations is appreciated.

Jeep Wrangler JL Surprising amount of rear sag while towing camper trailer Photo 27-12-20, 6 15 14 am

Jeep Wrangler JL Surprising amount of rear sag while towing camper trailer Photo 31-12-20, 9 16 55 am

Jeep Wrangler JL Surprising amount of rear sag while towing camper trailer Photo 31-12-20, 9 14 24 am
Sponsored

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
That is quite a bit of sag. Maybe it's worthwhile looking into airbags for the rear suspension.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbzonda

jbzonda

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In North America it is common to use a weight distribution hitch. Do they use them in Australia?
Yep they are common in Aus, and on my list to rectify the issue, i wanted to sus out if it was a general Wrangler thing before i bought anything.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
It looks like the majority of the load is forward of the trailer wheels. Combine that with cargo in the rear of the Wrangler and you are likely over capacity. Bags will help level but a WD hitch will help distribute load to the front axle. May be a good idea to locate a local scale so you can be sure about the numbers. The one thing you can be sure of is that a bad day camping always tops a good day at work ;)

OP
OP
jbzonda

jbzonda

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the majority of the load is forward of the trailer wheels. Combine that with cargo in the rear of the Wrangler and you are likely over capacity. Bags will help level but a WD hitch will help distribute load to the front axle. May be a good idea to locate a local scale so you can be sure about the numbers. The one thing you can be sure of is that a bad day camping always tops a good day at work ;)
Yep good point; fridge, storage, gas bottle (add spare tyre and winch - it all adds up) all between the axle and hitch. Most storage in the car in front or above the rear axle. Looks like a WD hitch is the way to go.

Your damn right! haha, I setup the camper in the rain for htis trip but all part of the experience!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Interesting to see this, I ran airbags in my JK shorty with the camper but was hoping I wouldn't need them in the JL (waiting for it to turn up), yours looks like it has a lot more weight forward than mine though. First pic was without airbags second was with, as an aside don't go weight distribution hitch, they are not suitable for offroad and the airbags are brilliant.

Jeep Wrangler JL Surprising amount of rear sag while towing camper trailer 20171123_132329

Jeep Wrangler JL Surprising amount of rear sag while towing camper trailer 20171229_132906

OP
OP
jbzonda

jbzonda

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting to see this, I ran airbags in my JK shorty with the camper but was hoping I wouldn't need them in the JL (waiting for it to turn up), yours looks like it has a lot more weight forward than mine though. First pic was without airbags second was with, as an aside don't go weight distribution hitch, they are not suitable for offroad and the airbags are brilliant.

Jeep Wrangler JL Surprising amount of rear sag while towing camper trailer 20171229_132906

Thanks for the tip on the weight distribution hitch.

It may be one of the few drawback of the camper trialer i have - battery, kitchen, fridge, storage, gas bottle, small winch, spare tyre ALL forward of the axle, so whilst the towball weight might be will within limits, clearly not ideal.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired

What is your psi to level with the trailer attached? Not attached? Do you need/use them on the JL? Is the JL 2 or 4 door? I just traded my 2019 JL for a 2021 JLU. I’m towing a 2380 lb camper that I just didn’t feel comfortable towing with the 2dr. The 4 dr is a huge difference for the better. I have maybe a 1 to 1.5 inch sag (guessing) on the 4dr. With the camper attached. My OCD has caused me to order air bags for install this week. Just checking to see if I’m wasting money ?? To me both 2 and 4 door with no load look slightly higher in the front than back anyway 🤔

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
What is your psi to level with the trailer attached? Not attached? Do you need/use them on the JL? Is the JL 2 or 4 door? I just traded my 2019 JL for a 2021 JLU. I’m towing a 2380 lb camper that I just didn’t feel comfortable towing with the 2dr. The 4 dr is a huge difference for the better. I have maybe a 1 to 1.5 inch sag (guessing) on the 4dr. With the camper attached. My OCD has caused me to order air bags for install this week. Just checking to see if I’m wasting money ?? To me both 2 and 4 door with no load look slightly higher in the front than back anyway 🤔
I went with airbags, I run 50psi with trailer and 5psi without, it is a JLUR.

Wthout airbags

Jeep Wrangler JL Surprising amount of rear sag while towing camper trailer 20210612_101023

With airbags (and more weight, setup for a weeks camping). Best I could find, but you get the idea.

Jeep Wrangler JL Surprising amount of rear sag while towing camper trailer IMG_0536

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Heavier rear springs needed...........check out Old Man Emu. They have springs with different rates and heights.............Very easy to R&R rear springs for towing.
Sponsored

Last edited: