Sponsored

GMRS Travel and Off-road Channels

Whsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Clubs

Serious question and not meant to poke the bear or be snarky or anything. How does a GMRS license do anything at all? No test for said license to use on 100% free airwaves but a licensing fee?! Sounds like a textbook cashgrab to me. 🤷
GMRS can use repeater stations that are all over the country. My understanding is that licensing fees are for the upkeep of the repeater stations.
Sponsored

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
GMRS can use repeater stations that are all over the country. My understanding is that licensing fees are for the upkeep of the repeater stations.
I must admit I don't understand the repeater use. You broadcast on one frequency, though listen on another? I get that a repeater sends you signal farther along; why the different frequencies?

Whsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Clubs

I must admit I don't understand the repeater use. You broadcast on one frequency, though listen on another? I get that a repeater sends you signal farther along; why the different frequencies?
I’m sure others here can explain it better, but I believe it’s so that your transmission doesn’t interfere with the repeater. Kind of like how you can’t broadcast and listen on the same frequency at the same time, the repeater has the same constraint, so instead of broadcasting on the same frequency it hears you on, it broadcasts on a different frequency.

That’s just my speculation though, someone else here may know the answer for sure.

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
For many of us most of what you all say flies right over our heads. We may know that VHF is Very High Frequency and UHF is Ultra High Frequency, and I am old enough to remember tuning a black and white television set or listening to the LA Dodgers on my transistor radio. Though TX? RX? TL;DL? Tones and repeaters? 16 or462.5750? Mode, Power, Band? Frankly, I don't even know if my dual band radios are GRMS or FRS. What pragmatically does all this mean those who want to join in on the trails in a productive, civil way while enjoying our jeeps amongst you all? Perhaps you would be kind enough to offer a lesson or point a noob in the right direction–
Honestly...I recommend you watch "NotARubicon: GMRS Basic 101". This guy does a great job of explaining complicated radio topics (GMRS specifically) and explaining it all in a non-pretentious, humorous manner that is easy to understand. Another good one is NotARubicon: Repeater Channel 101 episode.Careful though, once you watch one episode...you might be hooked for more.

Last edited:

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for pointing that out for IdahoJOAT. You are correct.
Yup, I assumed it was a simple mistype, wasn't trying to be a dick. :)

There's been times I've had misspellings or mistypes and no one's said shit, which is good in a sense, but I'd rather someone say something and I'll edit/correct. No worries!

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
So that the repeated signal can be retransmitted simultaneously. If a repeater used the same frequency for receive and transmit it would have to wait until you finished speaking to then retransmit your signal, so those close enough to receive your signal simplex would hear you twice. There would also be long delays between signals on the repeater while it waits for the next incoming signal that will be repeated. Those not within simplex range wouldn't know if they could transmit or not as they wouldn't hear you talking due to the delay.

APRS digital repeaters do use the same frequency, 144.390 in North America. This works because APRS transmissions are very short so the delay between RX and TX is short as well.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
Simplex or Repeater mode
You have to program your GMRS radio for both. For simplex you transmit and receive on the same frequency. For Duplex you have two different frequencies for the repeater capable channels. In our Jeep club it turned out that I needed both as some times we alternated.
The real question is does the hand held or other radio you purchased allow this to be done?
I know for sure the VX-5r is a full featured radio allowing full programming, including a removable antenna to allow a body mounted antenna for great improvement in performance.
Sponsored