Sponsored

What is a mild hybrid Wrangler?

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between Wranglers right now
The future models timeline shows a "mild hybrid" Wrangler coming soon after it turns 2018. What exactly is a mild hybrid? Never heard of it.
Sponsored

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
From Wikipedia:

Mild hybrids
are generally internal combustion engines equipped with an electric machine (one motor/generator in a parallel configuration) allowing the engine to be turned off whenever the car is coasting, braking, or stopped, yet restart quickly. Mild hybrids may employ regenerative brake and some level of power assist to the internal combustion engine (ICE), but mild hybrids do not have an exclusive electric-only mode of propulsion.

This chart is a good summary.

hybrid.jpg

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
In other words, compared to traditional full hybrids where the electric motor can fully take over, the electric motor in a mild hybrid never fully takes over. They're not powerful enough to propel the car without the gas engine also doing some of the work.

Another way to think about it is a mild hybrid has a battery and helper motor, but these operate only while the gas engine is running.

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
I'd like to see the electric part of the drivetrain sold basically as a rock crawling accessory. The low speed torque of an electric motor would be great for trailing and help to smooth out the amount of throttle needed to roll the tires over obstacles rather than having to stab into the gas and get the torque converter spinning and then rapidly pedal out.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
In other words, compared to traditional full hybrids where the electric motor can fully take over, the electric motor in a mild hybrid never fully takes over. They're not powerful enough to propel the car without the gas engine also doing some of the work.

Another way to think about it is a mild hybrid has a battery and helper motor, but these operate only while the gas engine is running.
So what's the advantage of a mild hybrid over a full hybrid then? Wouldn't it be an advantage to have an electric only mode also?

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
A mild hybrid would be a great solution to turbo lag on the Ecodiesel and the hurricane motors. One of the problems I could see with these 2 motors would be trying to finesse the Jeep while rock crawling, but the low end torque picked up by electric assist would absolutely fix that issue.

Alx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Self Built
Hybrid Wrangler actually makes a lot of sense. You have a lot less need for a 100:1 crawl ratio if you can just roll on the electric motor at close to zero rpm. The extra weight of the battery would be a detriment, though at least it could help keep the CoG low.

RDwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JGC, Rubicon
So what's the advantage of a mild hybrid over a full hybrid then? Wouldn't it be an advantage to have an electric only mode also?
The mild hybrid will be cheaper and weigh less compared to the full HEV. These 2 factors alone make me surprised Jeep has plans for a full hybrid JL by 2022.

Alx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Self Built
The mild hybrid will be cheaper and weigh less compared to the full HEV. These 2 factors alone make me surprised Jeep has plans for a full hybrid JL by 2022.
CAFE weighs heavy on the Wrangler, which depending on your point of view is a victim of its own success since it certainly sells in large volume.

Regardless, there are few downsides besides price and weight which can be solved as aluminum and other light weight materials become less costly to produce. The Wrangler's off roading can only be improved by this. Another benefit- the lack of drive shaft would also give it better clearance.

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
I'd like to see the electric part of the drivetrain sold basically as a rock crawling accessory. The low speed torque of an electric motor would be great for trailing and help to smooth out the amount of throttle needed to roll the tires over obstacles rather than having to stab into the gas and get the torque converter spinning and then rapidly pedal out.

Speaking of low speed instant 100% torque, these electric Wrangler conversions show just how effective and useful it is. I was not high on the thought of a hybrid or electric Wrangler until seeing this. I'm warming to the idea now :)

Sponsored

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
It's a win win for Jeep in many ways. Better MPG and off roading benefits especially since Wranglers spend most of their time in low RPM.

As long as they can keep the cost down I'm open to it. Unfortunately based on the literature it seems to be planned only for the 4 door right now.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Speaking of low speed instant 100% torque, these electric Wrangler conversions show just how effective and useful it is. I was not high on the thought of a hybrid or electric Wrangler until seeing this. I'm warming to the idea now :)

Seems like wheelbase and suspension had a lot more to do with the discrepancy than electric vs diesel/gas.

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Seems like wheelbase and suspension had a lot more to do with the discrepancy than electric vs diesel/gas.
Exactly... my gas powered built 2 door Rubicon could probably go toe to toe with these electric one. They're also running a lot of air in those beadlocks.... do we not have a compressor?

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Was thinking the same - rock crawling doesn't rely as much on propulsion and depends more on the chosen path and chassis setup than anything else.

Also a full electric Wrangler would be worse off roading than gas powered or hybrid since there'd be less downhill coasting to for KERS / energy recoup. On the plus side tho, there's lots of idle time during off-roading where a full electric car wouldn't be wasting energy (burning gas).

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Is their a theoretic timeline for a full electric Wrangler ? And a timeline for a full hybrid, of which each component can operate independently ?

IE operate fully on its 4cyl when the battery drained, or opt to operate on battery only with 4cyl turned off ?
Sponsored