Sponsored

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Without a doubt the most amusing choice of vehicles I’ve heard yet for that run :CWL:
I didn't get my first Jeep until 2 years later, after I was stationed in Wyoming. Looking back on the experience, I probably should've used something else for the drive....It was amazing nothing happened to the car on that road!
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Some great images, and memories, I imagine!

I've not been on the Dalton since I was in my teens. I turn a significant milestone next year and I'm planning a cross country trip up to Tuktoyaktuk. I might make a detour and hit that up too. It may be a 2022 trip though. Depending on COVID-19, finances, and state of Hulk's build. I want to ensure I have a winch, 2.5" GC lift and rear bumper with a hitch receiver (plus rewired for MoPar harness).

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Some great images, and memories, I imagine!

I've not been on the Dalton since I was in my teens. I turn a significant milestone next year and I'm planning a cross country trip up to Tuktoyaktuk. I might make a detour and hit that up too. It may be a 2022 trip though. Depending on COVID-19, finances, and state of Hulk's build. I want to ensure I have a winch, 2.5" GC lift and rear bumper with a hitch receiver (plus rewired for MoPar harness).
Tuk is the only place to get that rig on the coast of the Arctic Ocean but if you’re up in this neck of the woods already, might as well add the Dalton for a trip you’ll never forget. Give me a shout if you make it up.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Tuk is the only place to get that rig on the coast of the Arctic Ocean but if you’re up in this neck of the woods already, might as well add the Dalton for a trip you’ll never forget. Give me a shout if you make it up.
Yup, I’ve not been that far north before, and with the Dempster open all the way it would be a killer trip. About 6000km. I’m planning about a month on the road to get from the GTA and back. Lots of planning to do first, and building.

dswift09

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '17 VW GTI, '17 MB GLC
Looks like you had a great trip. My son and I are taking my ‘21 JLUR from MN up the Dalton to Deadhorse this summer and are starting to plan the trip. Curious what people have taken along in terms of spare parts ore emergency equipment the Dalton. A lot of articles suggest taking a lot of extra gear including a second full-size spare. At the same time, I’ve read of people doing the road on a Vespa, a Miata, or even a Pontiac Sunbird. Since I’m running KO2s the tire suggestions seem particulalry unnecessary.

Also, wondering what PSI people have run on the Dalton.

Sponsored

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I'm currently planning a trip from Colorado to Alaska. We will be heading north the last week in July and be there through the first two weeks of August. We are planning to do the Dalton Highway. We also have alot of other destinations through Alaska. As of right now we have four rigs going. I did a similar trip several years ago on my ktm 1190 and now I want to take the wife and jeep.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Glad I caught this thread as I have also been planning a trip to Alaska from Colorado Springs come this June. Probably stay for a minimum of 3 months before returning to CO and currently undecided on which route to take; head north on I-25 thru Banff and Jasper National Parks, or over and up to the PNW, maybe catch a ferry from their or keep driving. Still collecting info and weighing options...and of course their's always the present wild card of COVID and whatever the border situation could be at that time.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Glad I caught this thread as I have also been planning a trip to Alaska from Colorado Springs come this June. Probably stay for a minimum of 3 months before returning to CO and currently undecided on which route to take; head north on I-25 thru Banff and Jasper National Parks, or over and up to the PNW, maybe catch a ferry from their or keep driving. Still collecting info and weighing options...and of course their's always the present wild card of COVID and whatever the border situation could be at that time.
I'm in Colorado springs too. We will be leaving July 23rd and meeting up with some friends in Montana then crossing the border. We are heading up the ice fields parkway through Banff. I'm pretty jealous you have three months to spend. We have three weeks so we will definitely be moving. Here are some of the sights we have so far, if this helps.

BC
Banff
Moraine Lake
Lake Louise
Johnston canyon
Athabasca glacier
Maligne lake
Liard hot springs
Smith river falls

YUKON

ALASKA
Kennicott/McCarthy
Root Glacier Trail
Homer, Ak
Valdez, Ak
Chicken, Ak
Dalton Highway
Denali Highway
Hatcher Pass
Artic circle
Purdue Bay

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Appreciate that list, I'll add it to the already growing one I've got. Also wading thru the paperwork requirements for transporting firearms across the Canadian border and back....it appears they're not to fond of handguns.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I would recommend late August/Early September. The fall colors of the tundra grass is just amazing to see.
Plan to be in Alaska from July to mid September. Looking forward to all the colors.

Sponsored

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
I'm in Colorado springs too. We will be leaving July 23rd and meeting up with some friends in Montana then crossing the border. We are heading up the ice fields parkway through Banff. I'm pretty jealous you have three months to spend. We have three weeks so we will definitely be moving. Here are some of the sights we have so far, if this helps.

BC
Banff
Moraine Lake
Lake Louise
Johnston canyon
Athabasca glacier
Maligne lake
Liard hot springs
Smith river falls

YUKON

ALASKA
Kennicott/McCarthy
Root Glacier Trail
Homer, Ak
Valdez, Ak
Chicken, Ak
Dalton Highway
Denali Highway
Hatcher Pass
Artic circle
Purdue Bay
Awesome list. We could likely immerse ourselves for three weeks in any one of these spectacular locations—

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Appreciate that list, I'll add it to the already growing one I've got. Also wading thru the paperwork requirements for transporting firearms across the Canadian border and back....it appears they're not to fond of handguns.

Yeah, I've heard handguns are a big no go. Best bet is a shotgun.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Looks like you had a great trip. My son and I are taking my ‘21 JLUR from MN up the Dalton to Deadhorse this summer and are starting to plan the trip. Curious what people have taken along in terms of spare parts ore emergency equipment the Dalton. A lot of articles suggest taking a lot of extra gear including a second full-size spare. At the same time, I’ve read of people doing the road on a Vespa, a Miata, or even a Pontiac Sunbird. Since I’m running KO2s the tire suggestions seem particulalry unnecessary.

Also, wondering what PSI people have run on the Dalton.
If you have a fair amount of tread left on the KO2s, one full size spare, a compressor, and a patch kit is plenty. The road itself is only demanding in length, but my Fox 2.5 setup with DSC adjusters proved highly valuable over incredible stretches of washboard. As for PSI, mid 20s seemed to smooth things out nicely without killing fuel range for me. Otherwise, so long as you’ve got basic survival supplies for a couple days, tools for roadside fixes and a positive attitude about type-2 fun, you’ll have the time of your life.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
If you have a fair amount of tread left on the KO2s, one full size spare, a compressor, and a patch kit is plenty. The road itself is only demanding in length, but my Fox 2.5 setup with DSC adjusters proved highly valuable over incredible stretches of washboard. As for PSI, mid 20s seemed to smooth things out nicely without killing fuel range for me. Otherwise, so long as you’ve got basic survival supplies for a couple days, tools for roadside fixes and a positive attitude about type-2 fun, you’ll have the time of your life.
I might need to take this on myself
how far apart are good diesel stations?

Tejas392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting for my 392

Type-2 fun, the best memories imaginable and in my experience in the amazing state of Alaska, very likely.
Sponsored