2021 Wrangler Rubicon eco Diesel

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
For all the "complaining about complaining" about issues with the diesel, I see few actual reports of issues in this forum. The snow guy aside, I get why people are annoyed with DEF (I don't understand all the bitching but OK, I get that it's extra maintenance) and I see some oil leak issues that suck for the people who get them. And a handful of folks who say that towing through the rockies has been an issue but that's probably not most people's use case.

If you want to compare complaints and issues, take a look at the 4xe forum. Yikes. At this point, they mostly just assume they will be driving with a CEL all the time.

In the end it's a Jeep and they have a trash reputation. The diesel seems no worse than the brand in general.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
For all the "complaining about complaining" about issues with the diesel, I see few actual reports of issues in this forum. The snow guy aside, I get why people are annoyed with DEF (I don't understand all the bitching but OK, I get that it's extra maintenance) and I see some oil leak issues that suck for the people who get them. And a handful of folks who say that towing through the rockies has been an issue but that's probably not most people's use case.

If you want to compare complaints and issues, take a look at the 4xe forum. Yikes. At this point, they mostly just assume they will be driving with a CEL all the time.

In the end it's a Jeep and they have a trash reputation. The diesel seems no worse than the brand in general.
The complainers will of course be the loudest on the forums, they're pissed at their own circumstances and think everyone else should be too. I may tow through the rockies at some point since we have friends up there, but it will not be a constant thing and I'll deal with that issue if/when I come to it. The ones who seem most annoyed are probably first time diesel owners (or more likely shit posting without ever owning one), and were blinded by the yt bro's overland videos. It's hard enough for them to order their starbucks much less worry over def and "smelly" diesel. Go to the gym and lift, def boxes are not that heavy.

I had a similar snow issue on my 2500 Denali, it was a bad engine compartment seal, I pulled the old one out and replaced it, no issues thereafter. The maintenance was not far off from any gasser I've owned.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The complainers will of course be the loudest on the forums, they're pissed at their own circumstances and think everyone else should be too. I may tow through the rockies at some point since we have friends up there, but it will not be a constant thing and I'll deal with that issue if/when I come to it. The ones who seem most annoyed are probably first time diesel owners (or more likely shit posting without ever owning one), and were blinded by the yt bro's overland videos. It's hard enough for them to order their starbucks much less worry over def and "smelly" diesel. Go to the gym and lift, def boxes are not that heavy.

I had a similar snow issue on my 2500 Denali, it was a bad engine compartment seal, I pulled the old one out and replaced it, no issues thereafter. The maintenance was not far off from any gasser I've owned.
Agreed. I'm a 1st time diesel owner, but I know not to be swayed by the vocal minority - especially ones who don't own, or have even test-driven an Ecodiesel. Some forum members could find reliability issues with a pet rock.

Sponsored

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel

There's a well known off-road family here where I live. Anyone who is from around here that wheels knows them. They don't have fancy rigs or expensive gear. They just recently added an old JK to the family as their newest vehicle. I love wheeling with this family. Everyone does. They wheel the heck out of whatever they bring to the trail that day. But I also know that whenever I wheel with them it's usually going to involve a short wait to fix something on one of their rigs. Something always breaks with them it seems. And I'm always impressed with how quickly they jump on it and fix it with some bubble gum and duct tape and get through the trail.

My point to the story is that they love wheeling for the adventure, fun and camaraderie. They know they are usually going to break something and they just deal with it and move on. I can't imagine a true off-road family like them being the least bit bothered by a little DEF on their hands or a vehicle that occasionally runs hot. Heck, the coolant reservoir on their YJ is a Mountain Dew bottle!

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
he did had a JK but at least your vehicle wasn't going to limp mode when hitting 240 F. The diesel will. limit power and speed, annoying at least.
My 2 dr JK did the same thing running up Vail pass every summer on 35s. Plus limp mode. I’ll take the diesel thank you.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a well known off-road family here where I live. Anyone who is from around here that wheels knows them. They don't have fancy rigs or expensive gear. They just recently added an old JK to the family as their newest vehicle. I love wheeling with this family. Everyone does. They wheel the heck out of whatever they bring to the trail that day. But I also know that whenever I wheel with them it's usually going to involve a short wait to fix something on one of their rigs. Something always breaks with them it seems. And I'm always impressed with how quickly they jump on it and fix it with some bubble gum and duct tape and get through the trail.

My point to the story is that they love wheeling for the adventure, fun and camaraderie. They know they are usually going to break something and they just deal with it and move on. I can't imagine a true off-road family like them being the least bit bothered by a little DEF on their hands or a vehicle that occasionally runs hot. Heck, the coolant reservoir on their YJ is a Mountain Dew bottle!
This, exactly. I sort of enjoyed his channel until that little tidbit about adding def. At that point I knew It was just a ruse to get more clicks by purchasing the 4xE. Not that the 4xE is bad, I think it’s badass but come on. He knew that crap going in. I know it’s a small thing but I’m done watching his channel. At least just be honest with your viewers.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would have more torque, but most importantly, the torque would be just above idle. [but, you already knew that.] It's the extreme low-end nature of the torque that is appealing to the seat-of-the-pants daily driver. Makes you smile pulling away from every stoplight.

But...I get it, you are down on the Ecodiesel.
That’s because he doesn’t have one. Lol

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
This, exactly. I sort of enjoyed his channel until that little tidbit about adding def. At that point I knew It was just a ruse to get more clicks by purchasing the 4xE. Not that the 4xE is bad, I think it’s badass but come on. He knew that crap going in. I know it’s a small thing but I’m done watching his channel. At least just be honest with your viewers.
I've never met Brad but I'm sure he's a great guy. He seems like he would be. I don't fault him for anything he's done and have no criticisms either. He can do whatever he wants on his channel. And he has positioned it to be a "gentleman wheeler" channel for those who want to get out and explore but not do hard trails or break anything. Based on his subscription level there are a lot of people who want that content. I'm more into the harder, we might/will break something, stuff so I find other channels more entertaining.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's Ponytail that now states at the beginning of his videos "Includes Paid Advertisement" or something like that. I think all these YouTubers should do that. Just be honest up front and let me know what I'm listening to.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never met Brad but I'm sure he's a great guy. He seems like he would be. I don't fault him for anything he's done and have no criticisms either. He can do whatever he wants on his channel. And he has positioned it to be a "gentleman wheeler" channel for those who want to get out and explore but not do hard trails or break anything. Based on his subscription level there are a lot of people who want that content. I'm more into the harder, we might/will break something, stuff so I find other channels more entertaining.
I couldn’t care less if he’s a nice guy or not. I see BS and don’t care for it. Other people can continue to watch. That’s great. You’re right. It’s his channel and he can do what he wants. Like much of YouTube he’ll be forgotten in a few years. He will just be without a few more “subscribers”.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's Ponytail that now states at the beginning of his videos "Includes Paid Advertisement" or something like that. I think all these YouTubers should do that. Just be honest up front and let me know what I'm listening to.
This. Just be honest. The whole I’m so down to earth crap gets old and people fall for it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think what he did is a little bit BS. He seemingly had to give a reason to get rid of the JLURD and he pulled one out of his a$$. He should have just said “hey, I bought the bronco and I like it better“ or whatever. It was a cop out to take a parting shot at the JLURD. ”I can’t have a vehicle that overheats blah, blah…”. In CO running up the passes in any outside air temp with a trailer, every vehicle gets hot. So drive appropriately. He wouldn’t be able to own any vehicle if that is his measurement.
There’s a huge difference in temps climbing a bit and getting so hot the vehicle goes in to limp mode. That would be a deal breaker for me too. My ram never over heated once towing the Jeep on the trailer out to telluride and back in July. It’s a lowly 1500 gasser too. I tend to drive on the faster side and accelerate with purpose. If a 2k lb trailer taxes the cooling system that bad, it simply isn’t adequate. I guess that answers the question when diesel guys wonder why they don’t get a higher tow rating than us lowly 4cyl owners…

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drama is more intertaining than simple reality but I like Brads channel. I think Brad just wasn't into the diesel JT. FYI, I recently sold my Ram3500 4x4 CTD and loved it. It was pre DEF, hauled a RV chassis mounted coach(2+tons) and towed my JLR without issue. Brads stated issues are reason enough IMHO. Add limited tow capacity and JT's are not worth it for MPG rating.
I’m making an assumption you meant JL. No problem with your post, but that’s the point. It’s BS. once again, just be honest. I don’t think the diesel is the best thing since sliced bread. For me it’s not even about that. It’s the sellout while claiming to be this ah schucks fellow.
Sponsored