Sponsored

Dealer put "Anything less than a 10 on the survey is failing" on my Invoice.. How about delivering service that warrants a 10?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps they worsened, but my and my peers' experience with DCX dealers around the country was normally a constant clusterf*ck.

I noticed the same ineffective (with me and my partner anyway) policies/trends across multiple dealers as of late, so the big adminisphere isn't completely hands-off.
Good points.

Cars are becoming so complex, and automakers are making so many different variants, that dealers are simply struggling to keep up.
Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
No, you just don’t get it. Every other member on this forum traveled to save money. That’s the sole reason. There is not a single post on this forum that says “who provides the best service” when bringing up buying a new Jeep non-locally. Every single one is related to % below invoice or best price. You can make up whatever trope you want to satisfy your dealer hard on, but the content of the ordering forum tells the real story. Everything is about price.
I'll not speak for "every other member" but my thinking is that #1 implies #2-5 below:

1. Dealer is up-front with "I sell these for this price" with no hype or marketing BS tells me that I can probably get what I want without hassle.
2. I seek verification: has anyone had experience with this dealer? Yes, many have and they can't rave enough about their experience and in detail (not some one-line Google review that was probably bought by the dealer in exchange for a discount or gift card--a common practice).
3. I contact the dealer via e-mail and I get a prompt response and all my questions are answered the first time I ask (vs. local dealers where I have to repeat myself and even then my questions are often ignored entirely)
4. Their process and deposit is reasonable (unlike the 10% non-refundable deposit on a regular Gladiator Rubicon)
5. I am not subjected to marketing and spam texts and e-mails

So, no, price isn't the only factor here; it's a strong leading indicator.

Edit: even the Google reviews for my local dealers are damning--and that includes ones that were bought by the dealer as stated by the reviewer.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I needed new a new frame for my glasses the other day, but they are discontinued in my color. I couldn't source them anywhere and the other colors looked terrible and I told the guy at the glasses store as much. Well without telling me he ordered in the other colors, then called me when they arrived. He told me he just happened to get two in of those one he thinks would be acceptable to me so I go back and sure enough he was right. To me that is a 10 service. Autonation Arapaho in Denver breaking the clockspring on my steering wheel, installing the wrong part, then fighting with me over it, then lying about doing the software update is probably not a 10. Dealers overfilling the oil is probably also not a 10.

I feel at the dealership (all dealerships I've ever been to) I pay premium prices but I get arguably worse than Jiffy Lube service. The Jeep Cares folks have worked hard with me to get dealers to do the right thing and without their support I don't think these dealers would ever do the job right. I consciously do not do safety recalls because I would rather take the risk of death wobble (or whatever else the recalls might be for) than play the game of "what did the dealer break this time." It shouldn't be like this and writing some note to me about how they want their 10 is not cutting it for me. Sure we can make the argument that vehicles are more complex now and dealers are struggling to keep people trained... but an oil change is still an oil change. Not looking up how much oil is needed is lazy and when the customer tells you "hey this one is different it takes 5 quarts" that should at least spark your curiosity enough to go look it up. Jiffy Lube gets it right, how come a Jeep dealer can't?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, people will travel thousands of miles to save thousands of dollars on a purchase, but no one is going to travel thousands of miles for service.

I traveled 1,000 miles and saved $12,000 on my Sahara. They were great!

But now I’m stuck with the assholes at my dealer nearby. These f*ckers need to be rated on their own special negative scale!

Sponsored

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
Severely poor customer service at Jeep dealerships, especially when it comes to warranty, is systemic and can be traced back to the last recession when many Dodge/Chrysler dealerships and service departments were closed.

The majority of those closures never reopened or were replaced. And now there are many more vehicles to service by a smaller service network.

So they are swamped. And that leads to cherry picking profitable repairs. What service department manager is going to let a $2K oil change with tire rotation and decarbonization and wiper blade replacement and exhaust system inspection wait behind a potential $200 warranty reimbursement for the 2021 Jeep that was just towed in because it won't start?

FCA/Whoever TF owns it now must address this, especially now with vehicles that are priced along the line of others that have service departments with loaners, actual scheduled appointments, competent repairs, a fresh wash/vacuum and a mint on the dash when you pick it up.

Bayfield

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport / Ford Ranger
10 years ago when I was 50 I decided to start saving for my retirement car , any overtime , side jobs, income tax refunds all went into a saving account for the last 10 years . Now I'm 60 and settled on a jeep , always liked the look etc .
driving home one night with my son we pass a dealer between work and his place , there on the lot was a jeep that caught my eye , loved the look of it so stopped and test drove it . we both liked it and on returning to the lot I told the salesman that I want my girl try it ( she has back trouble ) to make sure she would be comfortable . told him I wanted to bring her Friday morning provided the vehicle was not sold .

Friday came we got to the dealer and walked in, just inside the door was a woman sitting at a table and looked at me and said yes ? I asked for the salesman explaining we were here for another test drive , she started asking all kinds of questions . I explained that I had already gone over this with the salesman and asked if she could get him as we were in a bit of a hurry , the look she gave us was total contempt made me feel like a piece of shit before she stomped off .

took the vehicle out and my girl loved it so I said to her , I will buy a jeep but it wont be from this dealer not with that miserable woman on staff !
we returned the vehicle , she left for work I went in and asked for the owner told him I had the money, it would of been a quick cash sale , said I expect to be treated a lot better for such a major purchase and told him the sale was lost because of her and left .

I bought a jeep a month later from a dealer in another town and love it ! it is coming up to its first service , oil change and I'm starting to dread taking it in !

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FCA/Whoever TF owns it now must address this, especially now with vehicles that are priced along the line of others that have service departments with loaners, actual scheduled appointments, competent repairs, a fresh wash/vacuum and a mint on the dash when you pick it up.
And...especially now that Jeep has delusions of grandeur as a “luxury” brand.

Capable? Yes. Unique? Sure. Overpriced? You bet! Luxury? Hmmm...not with this shitty customer service... 😫

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

And...especially now that Jeep has illusions of grandeur as a “luxury” brand.

Capable? Yes. Unique? Sure. Overpriced? You bet! Luxury? Perhaps in a parallel universe... 😫
I think more to the point, Jeeps current price points are overlapping luxury brands NOW.. You can purchase a Wrangler today at the same price point as a Mercedes E class sedan.

I would argue that the service experience from Lexus or Mercedes is an order of magnitude better than it is at Jeep.

At these price points, the market has already set an expectation for service. It is reasonable for a customer to expect it.

With dealer service pricing, my E class was cheaper to maintain on an annual basis than my Silverado or Sierra trucks were.

Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
When it comes to purchase I usually put all 10s for my sales person. It mainly affects their paycheck & family. If problems occur during the process I usually request a different sales person. I also have an awesome dealership that does everything possible to make things right. That seems rare!

However, the % of "All 10s" does affect the dealership bonus too.

The service department isn't great but also bends over backwards to make things right when they F up. I don't like to punish the little man even if the big man benefits also.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to purchase I usually put all 10s for my sales person. It mainly affects their paycheck & family. If problems occur during the process I usually request a different sales person. I also have an awesome dealership that does everything possible to make things right. That seems rare!

The service department isn't great but also bends over backwards to make things right when they F up. I don't like to punish the little man even if the big man benefits also.
That's a valid point.

Instead of pretending this to be about giving us good customer service, though, Jeep ought to be upfront and position these surveys as an added "tip" for the dealer.

I'll bet more of us would be willing to help out the dealer staff in this situation, especially since it wouldn't cost us a dime.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon

Finally someone that gets it. Thank you for understanding how it affects us.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
That's a valid point.

Instead of pretending this to be about giving us good customer service, though, Jeep ought to be upfront and position these surveys as an added "tip" for the dealer.

I'll bet more of us would be willing to help out the dealer staff in this situation, especially since it wouldn't cost us a dime.
That's the problem with automotive surveys. They should focus on honesty and carry no incentive. Leaders can't make good decisions based off bad information. But like most surveys only the very happy or very pissed off participate. Most in the middle just sit on the sidelines and hit the delete button.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Finally someone that gets it. Thank you for understanding how it affects us.
I think the issue a lot of customers have is:
  1. Why give us a 10-point scale if anything less than a 10 is a "fail"?
    • The moment people see a 10-point scale, we are going to want to use the entire scale
  2. Both FCA and dealers need to stop pretending this is about providing good customer service. This is about money. The more upfront everyone is about it, the less room for misunderstanding all around
Sponsored