Sponsored

Dealer put "Anything less than a 10 on the survey is failing" on my Invoice.. How about delivering service that warrants a 10?

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I don't disagree with you...

Part of it depends on your view point... I've dealt with dealers in the Chicago area where it's *VERY* competitive... in that context my expereince was comparatively great... although I've had good experiences down there as well.

I guess I didn't say this very well... or at all... I think FCA is putting dealers in a bad position... although some dealers dont deserve the benefit of the doubt.
I really wish we had your problem over here! Competitive dealers that try to attract customers! what a concept!

totally get where you are coming from.
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Sounds like a typical dealer to me... sorry for your troubles. However you mention this:

What model Fluke is that? I didn't know Fluke had meters that could read DC Amp draw, though they were for AC only. Love to know what model you have.

Thanks!
I am sure you know this but Fluke is just a brand name. They make great stuff and probably all I would use at work but for around the home I usually buy something like this. I keep a ac/dc clamp on meter in my boat to troubleshoot electrical issues.
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-...sprefix=clamp+on+amp+meter+dc,aps,128&sr=8-14

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The service advisors can call me all kinds of nasty names. I would not care "if" they could get my Wrangler fixed the first or second time. :LOL: I'd honestly give out "10"s all day if they could fix my vehicle correctly on the first try without doing additional damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Sounds like a typical dealer to me... sorry for your troubles. However you mention this:

What model Fluke is that? I didn't know Fluke had meters that could read DC Amp draw, though they were for AC only. Love to know what model you have.

Thanks!
I used a Fluke 189 Multimeter to check the battery voltages. I hooked up an i400 AC/DC current clamp to it to measure the power bleed off my stereo equipment. You can clamp it around a power cable. It isn't the most accurate way to measure, but it is good enough to determine if you have any phantom power bleed going on.

Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
You're making zero sense. Not a single person who read this post will be under the impression you're talking about price.
That's good since I wasn't talking only about price. My experience with dealers over the past 32 years has been largely a shit-show and I'm far from alone in that. I'm OK with "get what you pay for" ("reasonable") but I'm not OK with not getting what I'm paying for.

--which goes right to these surveys: Shouldn't Stellantis get what they're paying for? To hand out 10s to 2-level service is overpaying.

If I have to argue with the dealer to prove to them chapter and verse from the Chrysler service manual to perform the correct fix in the correct way, that's a "1" (my time and energy are valuable and anyone who doesn't value my time as they do theirs, that's a "1").

It's that kind of hassle I'm looking to avoid. I'll make more money; my time and energy are rarer commodities.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
people here are willing to fly/drive across the country to buy at a dealer that does business "reasonably" and actually do rate a 10 (which you would have us devalue).
That's good since I wasn't talking only about price.
No, you just don’t get it. Every other member on this forum traveled to save money. That’s the sole reason. There is not a single post on this forum that says “who provides the best service” when bringing up buying a new Jeep non-locally. Every single one is related to % below invoice or best price. You can make up whatever trope you want to satisfy your dealer hard on, but the content of the ordering forum tells the real story. Everything is about price.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So instead of useless 1-10 it should be On or Off Satisfied or Not Satisfied. Why even waste time with such useless surveys.
Automakers need to keep tabs on dealers; otherwise it becomes the Wild Wild West.

Chrysler dealers were about average. The problems really started when Fiat took over Chrysler and canceled all the customer satisfaction surveys Chrysler had in place. In his mind, Sergio Marchionne believed that it was pointless to track customer satisfaction: the market would reward good dealers and punish bad ones, and everything would take care of itself.

Unfortunately, his thinking was flawed: dealer associations spend millions of dollars lobbying state legislatures to pass laws that protect them from the evil automakers.

To complicate matters, geography protects bad dealers. I’m a good example: we only have one CDJR dealer in this entire county; they totally suck but we have few alternatives. Market forces are unable to reward and punish dealers.

Over the next 4-5 years, dealers grew accustomed to do as they pleased. By 2014 it became clear that FCA had to track customer satisfaction once again to try to get things under control. But this time FCA tied bonuses directly to individual survey scores, down to each individual service advisor and salesperson. The end result has been that dealer staff can make or lose thousands of dollars in remuneration based on one or two surveys. They don’t feel this is fair, so they proceed to “rig” the system in their favor by doing what the OP describes.

FCA has always maintained a hands-free approach to how dealers treat their customers. To my knowledge, FCA has never been serious about training dealers to provide better customer service, so here we are. As a result, CDJR and Fiat/Alfa Romeo dealers have been at the bottom of the customer service rankings for the past 6+ years.

Last edited:

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Sounds like you should direct this toward Stellantis rather than asking customers to be enablers.

I think it is hypocritical to ask customers to be "reasonable" when the dealers they have to deal with aren't willing to be.

Are *all* salesman, dealers, et al. bad? Of course not--but that's the exception rather than the norm. There are reasons 1) car dealers are the least trusted of all professions (incl. lawyers), and 2) people here are willing to fly/drive across the country to buy at a dealer that does business "reasonably" and actually do rate a 10 (which you would have us devalue).
I didn’t devalue anything. I said if the salesman did his job and treated you right then give the guy a break if someone else did something you didn’t like because ultimately the survey reflects on the salesperson. Like I said, I’ve sold cars for 23 years. I get several repeat and referral customers a month. The closest big town to me is thirty minutes away and people still come to the dealership. It’s funny to me that we are the least trusted. Especially when I catch customers lying by saying X dealer is doing this or this, but after doing some investigating they aren’t, or they say there car is perfect with only a few dents. Then when we see it the fender has been repainted and it has a huge dent in the hood, with worn out tires. Yes, it take this salesman and dealers are cheats very personal. I’ve worked very hard to earn customers trust and respect. I give my cell to everyone so they can contact me anytime day or night with questions or concerns. Are there bad sales people, yes. Are there bad preachers, teachers, CEO’s, truck drivers, and many other professions, hell yes. People will bitch at us over $200, but have a guy over charge them by $1,000 for a new roof. They don’t call him a crook, cheat and one of the least trusted people out there. They simply call a different roofer. If you don’t like my price, you don’t have to buy. It’s nothing personal. If I don’t like the price of bread I just go buy it at a different store. Will I never go to Walmart again cause of it, no. I’ll go again, and if they lower the price I’ll buy from them.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
I got the same “dealer survey” and message when I bought my ‘21 in August, of course… but it isn’t a “survey” if they give you only two options: “A+++ or F”. That’s bullshit.

NO ONE deserves a perfect 10 on every point. That’s an impossible standard to meet (and saying you’ve met it, regardless of whether we’re talking about material goods or services or relationships or whatever), is a lie. If you don’t recognize that you can do something better, how can you ever improve? You can’t, of course.

I filled out the “survey” honestly. My dealer received an excellent score. They should learn from the feedback what they can do better next time, and continue working to get there.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Gallup Poll: Car Salespeople are the least trusted / least honest, worse than politicians

https://news.gallup.com/poll/159035/congress-retains-low-honesty-rating.aspx

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer put "Anything less than a 10 on the survey is failing" on my Invoice.. How about delivering service that warrants a 10? 0D821BC0-83CF-41E5-B936-B7B7EA3702B6

Yes, there are exceptions but most people have very bad experiences with car salespeople. Search Google for car salespeople and trust for many other surveys that have the exact same results year after year. I’m looking forward to the day vehicles can be purchased via Amazon.

Stupid Things Dealers and their Sales People have said about the Wrangler (198+ posts)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...les-people-have-said-about-the-wrangler.2730/

And this is from “Confessions of a Car Salesman”, a guy who was hired to be an undercover car salesman.

http://alldough.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/9/6/10969645/carsalesman.pdf

“Let me talk to my manager”

Last edited:

camo4stealth

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R 1250RS-'20, BMW R 1250GS-'20, Ducati 950SS
Occupation
Taxpayer
Getting back to the point of this thread. If a dealership is whore groveling for points and it bothers you, that alone would rate the experience as unsatisfactory. Just sayin'

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I didn’t devalue anything. I said if the salesman did his job and treated you right then give the guy a break if someone else did something you didn’t like because ultimately the survey reflects on the salesperson. Like I said, I’ve sold cars for 23 years. I get several repeat and referral customers a month. The closest big town to me is thirty minutes away and people still come to the dealership. It’s funny to me that we are the least trusted. Especially when I catch customers lying by saying X dealer is doing this or this, but after doing some investigating they aren’t, or they say there car is perfect with only a few dents. Then when we see it the fender has been repainted and it has a huge dent in the hood, with worn out tires. Yes, it take this salesman and dealers are cheats very personal. I’ve worked very hard to earn customers trust and respect. I give my cell to everyone so they can contact me anytime day or night with questions or concerns. Are there bad sales people, yes. Are there bad preachers, teachers, CEO’s, truck drivers, and many other professions, hell yes. People will bitch at us over $200, but have a guy over charge them by $1,000 for a new roof. They don’t call him a crook, cheat and one of the least trusted people out there. They simply call a different roofer. If you don’t like my price, you don’t have to buy. It’s nothing personal. If I don’t like the price of bread I just go buy it at a different store. Will I never go to Walmart again cause of it, no. I’ll go again, and if they lower the price I’ll buy from them.
Oh, don't get me started on general contractors....about to take legal action on one...

And customers? Oh, I understand...it's a big reason why I'm an engineer... there are people to deal with the customers so I don't have to....

Having said that, when dealers establish lying as normal and customers go into that knowingly, it's all "how the game is played". I think most people are reviled by that and why we had Saturn and now Carvana. The only thing I like about EV manufacturers is that they may force the franchise laws to change (or, ideally, be abolished--one of those instances where gov't regulation creates more problems than it sought to solve).

You sound like you're the exception rather than the rule and the type of person people will fly/drive out-of-state for. Good on you and that is something people would/should write about in these surveys (if that's an option).

I think we'd both agree that the franchise system/dealer culture needs to change; inflating surveys is precisely how to not let that happen.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Oh, don't get me started on general contractors....about to take legal action on one...

And customers? Oh, I understand...it's a big reason why I'm an engineer... there are people to deal with the customers so I don't have to....

Having said that, when dealers establish lying as normal and customers go into that knowingly, it's all "how the game is played". I think most people are reviled by that and why we had Saturn and now Carvana. The only thing I like about EV manufacturers is that they may force the franchise laws to change (or, ideally, be abolished--one of those instances where gov't regulation creates more problems than it sought to solve).

You sound like you're the exception rather than the rule and the type of person people will fly/drive out-of-state for. Good on you and that is something people would/should write about in these surveys (if that's an option).

I think we'd both agree that the franchise system/dealer culture needs to change; inflating surveys is precisely how to not let that happen.

I do agree with you on a lot of that. I'm honestly not saying if I or someone does a shitty job, bad attitude, lying, and so on they don't deserve the worst survey ever. Just like your job. If worked your hardest to make everything perfect then some jackass pisses the customer off don't punish the person who worked for you. That survey focuses directly on the salesman. I'm just asking people to cut the guy a break. If the sales manager pissed you off. Then talk to the owner, or post on google strictly about that guy. I have a soft spot for people in my profession or similar even food service. If the server was nice, kept everything full, but the food wasn't great. It's not their fault. I'm not going to give them a 2 dollar tip because the chef sucked. I'm still going to tip them well, because they did a good job. Then I'll hop on google or whatever and say my server X was awesome, but the food lacked flavor or something.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The problems really started when Fiat took over Chrysler and canceled all the customer satisfaction surveys Chrysler had in place. In his mind, Sergio Marchionne believed that it was pointless to track customer satisfaction: the market would reward good dealers and punish bad ones, and everything would take care of itself.
Perhaps they worsened, but my and my peers' experience with DCX dealers around the country was normally a constant clusterf*ck.

I noticed the same ineffective (with me and my partner anyway) policies/trends across multiple dealers as of late, so the big adminisphere isn't completely hands-off.
Sponsored