Sponsored

Dealer put "Anything less than a 10 on the survey is failing" on my Invoice.. How about delivering service that warrants a 10?

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

The reason they ask you for a 10 is because these are NPS-based surveys (Net Promoter Score). It's unfortunately become the standard unit of measurement in the Customer Service industry. You can read more about it here: https://www.netpromoter.com/know/

The Wikipedia article actually has a good recap of why it's not great: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_promoter_score

Basically, it breaks down 1-10 as such:
1-6 = Detractor. Usually unhappy customers who can damage your brand and impede growth through negative word-of-mouth.
7-8 = Passives. Usually satisfied but unenthusiastic customers who are vulnerable to competitive offerings.
9-10 = Promoter. Considered loyal enthusiasts who will keep buying and refer others, fueling growth.

Your Net Promoter Score is then the difference between the # of Detractors and Promoters.

It's somewhat accurate, TBH, in terms of how I usually complete surveys, but business folks have taken it to the extreme, basically considering everything less than a 9 to be a Detractor, from a functional standpoint, which is what drives the "ONLY GIVE ME 10s PLEASE" hysteria.
A lot of us understand what you state here. This explains it a bit more in detail.

As a customer, I would prefer that they deliver the level of service that is appropriate for the score that they expect to receive. If the service department wants a 10, then I expect exceptional service. Service that goes above and beyond expectations.

Deliver crap service, expect a crap rating.
Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
It's Stellantis who puts all the blame on the salesman. The survey hurts us. Yes the store will lose money, and allocations if there survey scores are low, but ultimately it hurts us the most.

You brought up a restaurant question. If you marked a 7 on that question then you are telling them the food was not served at an appropriate temperature.

If you order a medium steak, and it comes out exactly like you ordered and wanted. When the manager comes over an asks you to cut and make sure it is prepared as ordered if you tell him "yes it is exactly as I ordered, but then give him a 7, you lied. On a scale of 1-10, one being it was completely wrong, and 10 is was exactly as ordered a 7 is what you give on the survey then that means it wasn't exactly as ordered. It was extremely close, but not correct. A 10 would mean it was what you ordered, and expected for what you paid.

Same thing for me. If I get your car in, do everything you ask, sell it for a price you're comfortable with, give you want for you trade, do a full delivery showing you how all options work, pair your cell phone, show you were the tools are, how to remove top, have a full tank of gas, switch tags, demo the ACC, set up there app, make sure they know how the Jeep Wave program works, and then follow up in a day or two to make sure you don't have any problems or questions then I don't deserve a 10? Why not? I did everything you asked, plus more, and I do that for every customer new or used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

It's Stellantis who puts all the blame on the salesman. The survey hurts us. Yes the store will lose money, and allocations if there survey scores are low, but ultimately it hurts us the most.

You brought up a restaurant question. If you marked a 7 on that question then you are telling them the food was not served at an appropriate temperature.

If you order a medium steak, and it comes out exactly like you ordered and wanted. When the manager comes over an asks you to cut and make sure it is prepared as ordered if you tell him "yes it is exactly as I ordered, but then give him a 7, you lied. On a scale of 1-10, one being it was completely wrong, and 10 is was exactly as ordered a 7 is what you give on the survey then that means it wasn't exactly as ordered. It was extremely close, but not correct. A 10 would mean it was what you ordered, and expected for what you paid.

Same thing for me. If I get your car in, do everything you ask, sell it for a price you're comfortable with, give you want for you trade, do a full delivery showing you how all options work, pair your cell phone, show you were the tools are, how to remove top, have a full tank of gas, switch tags, demo the ACC, set up there app, make sure they know how the Jeep Wave program works, and then follow up in a day or two to make sure you don't have any problems or questions then I don't deserve a 10? Why not? I did everything you asked, plus more, and I do that for every customer new or used.
Looking at my dealer service survey from Stellantis:
1 - Not Satisfied at all
10 - Completely satisfied.

Typically, I see on a survey for 10 is exceptional. This survey is not using a typical rating system. This survey does not allow me to call out exceptional service.

With this survey, I see your point. You are suggesting that if I am completely satisfied in this case, I should give a 10.

In the case I outlined in the original post, I still would give the service department a very generous rating of "2"

For the restaurant survey, which has the normal "10" rating as exceptional.. if the expensive steak I ordered is cooked to my specifications, that is an expectation. That is not a 10. That is a 7.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
As a salesman for a CDJR dealership I understand why they are asking. It's honestly not our fault. Nobody is perfect yet Stellantis is asking you to say they are. Your survey on a purchase is emailed to you 72 hours after it is punched sold. If we don't get 10's, and a yes on certain questions it actually costs us, and the dealership money, allocations, and certain other things. I do agree some salesman don't come even close to deserving a 10, but if the guy tried, and was nice why don't you cut him a break and just give all 10's. We can't control what the finance guy does, and if you bash the finance part of the survey the only person it hurts is the salesman not the finance guy or even the sales manager. Everything rolls down to the salesman. So, if the sales guy did his best, help him out. Give a bad google review on the manager and finance or anyone else. That survey can hurt us sale guys a lot if it's not filled out perfect. Knowing that whenever I do a survey for anyone, if they attempt to help and seem sincere they get a perfect score. I know what it feels like to spend several hours or days being nice, helping switch stuff from one car to the next, make sure they one they bought is perfect, and try to make it a seamless process to get a bad score. Makes you feel like shit.

Look, I know there are some bad stores, salesman, manager, and finance. I've worked at the same dealer for 23 years. I do everything I can for a customer. I've spent a whole day trying to find the right car for someone only for them to not buy or get paid only $150 when I sell it. We don't get paid by the hour, only when we sell something. Yes, I have made good money, but at the cost of working a 12-13 hour day, missing my daughters school stuff when they were little or a date night with the wife all because someone walked in 15 minutes before we close, and wanted to test drive 4 cars and buy that night. We can't shut the doors right at 6 and say sorry you have to come back tomorrow. We have to do the deal that night to accommodate the buyer. You guys bashing all salesman have no idea what it's like. Yes I choose this profession, and I'll continue doing it. We have to make the customer happy. We have to make sure you download and log into certain apps, or push the Onstar button even if you don't want it, cause if we don't the store loses money and then we get yelled at.

So, how about you guys be a little reasonable and understand some of us do the best we can and give us a break. It's not our fault a lot of times. If you were lied to or something like that, I get it. I go over and above to to make it a good experience. All it takes is one little scratch from the factory, or a light to come on, or something not work for you guys to call us worthless and all salesman suck, and Carvana is the best because I don't have to deal with anyone and you don't deserve a good survey. All salesman are idiots. Of course I get on this forum, and see so many people ask a simple question that I would've shown at delivery like the ACC cover. That's been asked about 10 million times on here. That's usually the person that thought the salesman was an idiot, and they would've shown them that feature. Give us a break. We are doing our job. You have one or had a job at one time. How did you feel when you worked hard on something and when something that you had no control over screws up and you got blamed, lost money, and still had to smile and fix the problem.
Sounds like you should direct this toward Stellantis rather than asking customers to be enablers.

I think it is hypocritical to ask customers to be "reasonable" when the dealers they have to deal with aren't willing to be.

Are *all* salesman, dealers, et al. bad? Of course not--but that's the exception rather than the norm. There are reasons 1) car dealers are the least trusted of all professions (incl. lawyers), and 2) people here are willing to fly/drive across the country to buy at a dealer that does business "reasonably" and actually do rate a 10 (which you would have us devalue).

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For the restaurant survey, which has the normal "10" rating as exceptional.. if the expensive steak I ordered is cooked to my specifications, that is an expectation. That is not a 10. That is a 7.
Then whatdahell is a "10"!? If the correct temperature isn't a "10", then some incorrect temperature must be a 10 but also not a 10. Your opinion conflicts with objective reality and fails to fill out the survey as asked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Then whatdahell is a "10"!? If the correct temperature isn't a "10", then some incorrect temperature must be a 10 but also not a 10. Your opinion conflicts with objective reality and fails to fill out the survey as asked.
I am not sure how you would rate a boolean value such as correct temperature. Either the steak is cooked to the correct temperature, or it is not. Sort of dumb to ask a question like that on a 1-10 scale anyway. Regardless, on a system where a 10 is exceptional, I would not give something done correctly as exceptional. In this case, it either meets expectations or it does not meet expectations.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
When I ordered my Jeep in August, part of the deal included the Tread Lightly discount... which was discontinued in October (FCA did grandfather in orders if notified by the dealer). When mine was delivered in December, they tried telling me the discount was discontinued and tried charging me the price we agreed on in August, minus the discount. We went back and forth for 5 minutes, I pulled out my signed agreement and told him "that's what I'm paying", and then just sat there quietly. After a minute, he got up to go talk to the manager. He came back saying they'll honor the agreement as long as I promised to give them all 10s... because everything less was failing. I agreed and signed all the amended paperwork. They weren't pushy about the survey so when it was emailed to me a couple of days later, I did give them all 10s. The whole experience was pretty pleasant. I did have a couple of other dealers bug me non stop for months.

I bought mine at Schlossman's in Brookfield, WI.

Ambika and Heather were the salespeople that helped me, and Andrew was the financial guy.

They delivered what I agreed to and like I said, it was pleasant.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

When I ordered my Jeep in August, part of the deal included the Tread Lightly discount... which was discontinued in October (FCA did grandfather in orders if notified by the dealer). When mine was delivered in December, they tried telling me the discount was discontinued and tried charging me the price we agreed on in August, minus the discount. We went back and forth for 5 minutes, I pulled out my signed agreement and told him "that's what I'm paying", and then just sat there quietly. After a minute, he got up to go talk to the manager. He came back saying they'll honor the agreement as long as I promised to give them all 10s... because everything less was failing. I agreed and signed all the amended paperwork. They weren't pushy about the survey so when it was emailed to me a couple of days later, I did give them all 10s. The whole experience was pretty pleasant. I did have a couple of other dealers bug me non stop for months.

I bought mine at Schlossman's in Brookfield, WI.

Ambika and Heather were the salespeople that helped me, and Andrew was the financial guy.

They delivered what I agreed to and like I said, it was pleasant.
Having to push the dealer to honor something that they agreed to is not "10" behavior in my book.
Had they honored their deal as agreed, without you having to push them to do it, that would be a 10 on their scale.
Pushing them to do what they said they would do is not "Completely Satisfied"; in my opinion.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am not sure how you would rate a boolean value such as correct temperature. Either the steak is cooked to the correct temperature, or it is not. Sort of dumb to ask a question like that on a 1-10 scale anyway. Regardless, on a system where a 10 is exceptional, I would not give something done correctly as exceptional. In this case, it either meets expectations or it does not meet expectations.
I had the same thought at first but it's more like 10 == correct temp and other ratings are how far from the correct temp.

Point is, if "10 == Completely satisfied" and you are completely satisfied but rate a "7", then you must be a voter in Florida.

Sponsored

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I had the same thought at first but it's more like 10 == correct temp and other ratings are how far from the correct temp.

Point is, if "10 == Completely satisfied" and you are completely satisfied but rate a "7", then you must be a voter in Florida.
Agreed, according to the Stellantis survey rating system, which I stated seems to be unique.
The only time I have seen "10 == Completely Satisfied" is on this dealership survey from Stellantis.

Typically, a customer survey has "10" reserved for exceptional service. From the answers I see from others, I am not the only one that has this impression.

The service that I received from my dealerships service in no way met even Stellantis criteria as a 10.

gerrya

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
I've been leasing for 25 years and Jeep has been my only repeat car and I attribute that to the dealer I use. (Bedford Jeep, NY)I hate car shopping because 99% of dealers I feel like I need to shower when I leave. This Jeep dealership is the best dealership of any brand I have ever dealt with. Best price first time, I shop the price and no ones close. From purchase to pick up its like buying a quart of milk. When I've had a problem service department has good communication and problems have been fixed. Yeah it's not as nice as Lexus or Mercedes but they get the job done. So when they asked for 10's I gave it to them.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
How is "save a lot of money" not "reasonable"?
Are *all* salesman, dealers, et al. bad? Of course not--but that's the exception rather than the norm. There are reasons 1) car dealers are the least trusted of all professions (incl. lawyers), and 2) people here are willing to fly/drive across the country to buy at a dealer that does business "reasonably" and actually do rate a 10 (which you would have us devalue).
You're making zero sense. Not a single person who read this post will be under the impression you're talking about price.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Having to push the dealer to honor something that they agreed to is not "10" behavior in my book.
Had they honored their deal as agreed, without you having to push them to do it, that would be a 10 on their scale.
Pushing them to do what they said they would do is not "Completely Satisfied"; in my opinion.
I don't disagree with you...

Part of it depends on your view point... I've dealt with dealers in the Chicago area where it's *VERY* competitive... in that context my expereince was comparatively great... although I've had good experiences down there as well.

I guess I didn't say this very well... or at all... I think FCA is putting dealers in a bad position... although some dealers dont deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Sponsored