Sponsored

Clicking noise when turning.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes. I bought a full set of crowfoot wrench ends for $49 from Amazon. Best purchase ever. I can torque every steering bolt without removing the wheels.

Sadly, after torqueing my castle nuts to spec plus next cotter pin hole, my ball joints still click and pop. Loud pops on sharp turns at parking lot speeds even. I have a dealer appointment tomorrow and I'm dreading it.
Sponsored

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just a heads up to everyone that is simply tightening things up - you may want to have the dealership take a look if you are covered under warranty. I took mine in yesterday and both ball joint assemblies need to be replaced on mine.

Less than 10k miles on my 21 JLUR also and only noticed the clicking/clunk sound a month ago and at first I just attributed it to it being a Jeep and things go bump and make noises...not such a smart notion lol =)

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just a heads up to everyone that is simply tightening things up - you may want to have the dealership take a look if you are covered under warranty. I took mine in yesterday and both ball joint assemblies need to be replaced on mine.

Less than 10k miles on my 21 JLUR also and only noticed the clicking/clunk sound a month ago and at first I just attributed it to it being a Jeep and things go bump and make noises...not such a smart notion lol =)
Did they already replace the ball joints?Same case here, took it in to have them retorqued and that didn't go away. Both L/R lower/upper units being replaced (waiting on part arrival).

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Did they already replace the ball joints?Same case here, took it in to have them retorqued and that didn't go away. Both L/R lower/upper units being replaced (waiting on part arrival).
Waiting on parts as well since I posted this...

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Waiting on parts as well since I posted this...
Is the issue resolved after getting the new parts? Bought my JLU in April and had an RK lift installed in July. The shop did some things incorrectly and I've gone back and forth with them over the months to get it fixed. In that time span, I started noticing the clicking and popping. I was unsure if it was related to the lift install or just coincidence.

While they were getting the lift sorted, I asked them to check out the clicking/popping noise, since I was unsure if it was lift related and because I figured it would be an easy ask while they were under the Jeep.

Initially they couldn't figure it out even though I mentioned to them I'd learned from this forum that the culprit was loose ball joints. They ended up sending it to another one of their shops where the mechanic had more experience. It did end up being the ball joints. They tightened them and it's 90% better but not completely gone.

Wondering if I should now take it to the dealer under warranty but fear that they will try to avoid assisting since I've had an aftermarket left installed.

Sponsored

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Is the issue resolved after getting the new parts? Bought my JLU in April and had an RK lift installed in July. The shop did some things incorrectly and I've gone back and forth with them over the months to get it fixed. In that time span, I started noticing the clicking and popping. I was unsure if it was related to the lift install or just coincidence.

While they were getting the lift sorted, I asked them to check out the clicking/popping noise, since I was unsure if it was lift related and because I figured it would be an easy ask while they were under the Jeep.

Initially they couldn't figure it out even though I mentioned to them I'd learned from this forum that the culprit was loose ball joints. They ended up sending it to another one of their shops where the mechanic had more experience. It did end up being the ball joints. They tightened them and it's 90% better but not completely gone.

Wondering if I should now take it to the dealer under warranty but fear that they will try to avoid assisting since I've had an aftermarket left installed.
Still waiting on the parts at the dealership. It's only been two months and two thousand miles later...should be safe for a bit hopefully. If it breaks and I barrel roll down the road I am getting two new 392's for nothing from Jeep I can promise them that much lol =)

IAMTHEBEASTIWORSHIP

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
Hey guys (and maybe a few gals), long-time lurker here, I just signed up and made an account. I’ve had my JLU for just over a year. More than a few months back, I noticed the clicking sound that many have reported. I googled it, found this awesome forum.

Anyway, after two trips to the dealership, they finally pulled the cotter pins and torqued down the bolts. Problem solved, no more clicking. This was back in October.

I thought that was the end of it, but I got a call out of the blue yesterday from the dealership that the ball joint knuckle replacement parts had arrived and that they wanted me to bring the vehicle back in to replace them. I am not a mechanic, not sure how to diagnose if they truly need to be replaced. I’m assuming that the parts/labor are covered under warranty, the lady on the phone never mentioned anything about a price.

Anyone else who reported the clicking sound getting theirs replaced by the dealership?

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hey guys (and maybe a few gals), long-time lurker here, I just signed up and made an account. I’ve had my JLU for just over a year. More than a few months back, I noticed the clicking sound that many have reported. I googled it, found this awesome forum.

Anyway, after two trips to the dealership, they finally pulled the cotter pins and torqued down the bolts. Problem solved, no more clicking. This was back in October.

I thought that was the end of it, but I got a call out of the blue yesterday from the dealership that the ball joint knuckle replacement parts had arrived and that they wanted me to bring the vehicle back in to replace them. I am not a mechanic, not sure how to diagnose if they truly need to be replaced. I’m assuming that the parts/labor are covered under warranty, the lady on the phone never mentioned anything about a price.

Anyone else who reported the clicking sound getting theirs replaced by the dealership?
I gave up on waiting for dealership to call me on the replacement parts (waiting since late Oct), took it into a different dealership for 10K mile oil change service (Jan 2022) and told them to torque it to new specs. There's a TSB for it (TSB-02-004-21 REV. A).

All fixed finally (total of 5 trips for this stupid noise).

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Forgot to add that I wouldn't take it back for part replacement, just tell dealership problem has been resolved. Most likely replacement is free (they would have told you otherwise prior to ordering if it wasn't) but potential for techs to make things worst with replacing things.

My radio bricked when it did an over the air update and original dealership ordered the radio replacement. While waiting for radio replacement, my ac compressor died and I took it into nearest dealership. They somehow fixed the radio.. so when original dealership called to tell me radio has arrived, I just told them no need for replacement and that was it.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Forgot to add that I wouldn't take it back for part replacement, just tell dealership problem has been resolved. Most likely replacement is free (they would have told you otherwise prior to ordering if it wasn't) but potential for techs to make things worst with replacing things.

My radio bricked when it did an over the air update and original dealership ordered the radio replacement. While waiting for radio replacement, my ac compressor died and I took it into nearest dealership. They somehow fixed the radio.. so when original dealership called to tell me radio has arrived, I just told them no need for replacement and that was it.
Can someone find this TSB and put it in the thread please?
TSB-02-004-21 REV. A

Sponsored

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
After swapping out my sport suspension for a Rubi one I noticed this clicking noise at slow speeds (parking garage) turning right. Just checked and all my castle nuts are tight. Any ideas on what else it could be?

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
After swapping out my sport suspension for a Rubi one I noticed this clicking noise at slow speeds (parking garage) turning right. Just checked and all my castle nuts are tight. Any ideas on what else it could be?
Mine were tight too, but I made them tighter and that fixed the issue for me.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Dont just check if they are tight. Re-torque them properly to specs.
Sponsored