Sponsored

Screen protector for infotainment?...yay or nay?

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Should we be using a screen protector on the Infotainment screen? What are y'all doing with this?....just curious as to what folks are doing.....
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have it on mine. Canā€™t be too careful with those damn head units.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have one on mine. I was afraid that getting it dusty and then touching it was going to scratch it. 2-1/2 years later it still looks good.

randyone

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Saharah
Second Jeep with touch screen and havenā€™t used a screen protector. Never thought to use one.
QUOTE="Cowboy from hell, post: 1791300, member: 69621"]
Should we be using a screen protector on the Infotainment screen? What are y'all doing with this?....just curious as to what folks are doing.....
[/QUOTE]

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I added one the day I got it. All kinds of people with issues back then, so I was trying to avoid them. It works great!

Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I use one.

That reminds me, I need to put the one on the Grand Cherokee that has been in my tool box for months.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Put one on mine. Donā€™t even notice itā€™s there. Great piece of mind for dealing with the kiddos, mechanics, valets, girls with stupidly long finger nails, pets, etcā€¦

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Curious, anyone with the 8.4ā€ Nav have one on it when the car was delivered? Our ā€˜20 GC High Altitude had one, so we left it. Didnā€™t even notice it honestly for the first couple months.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Curious, anyone with the 8.4ā€ Nav have one on it when the car was delivered? Our ā€˜20 GC High Altitude had one, so we left it. Didnā€™t even notice it honestly for the first couple months.
@JABCAT

What was/is on your 8.4 radio is not a screen protector but rather just the / a protective, thin sheet of whatever that the vehicle left the factory with... that was applied to the radio when the radio supplier assembled/manufactured the radio.. UNLESS, the manufacturer is with this model year, applying a true screen protector which I doubt they doing.

Do buy a true screen protector for your 8.4.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
@JABCAT

What was/is on your 8.4 radio is not a screen protector but rather just the / a protective, thin sheet of whatever that the vehicle left the factory with... that was applied to the radio when the radio supplier assembled/manufactured the radio.. UNLESS, the manufacturer is with this model year, applying a true screen protector which I doubt they doing.

Do buy a true screen protector for your 8.4.

So Iā€™ll ask, whatā€™s the difference between whatever protective film that is on the screen currently and a true screen protector? And what are people doing to damage these screens? Iā€™ve got a touch screen in each vehicle I own, the GC is the only one with something on the screen. Our wrangler runs no top or doors from March-Nov & no issues with its screen in almost 6 years.

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
So Iā€™ll ask, whatā€™s the difference between whatever protective film that is on the screen currently and a true screen protector? And what are people doing to damage these screens? Iā€™ve got a touch screen in each vehicle I own, the GC is the only one with something on the screen. Our wrangler runs no top or doors from March-Nov & no issues with its screen in almost 6 years.
Minor scratches from fingernails, oil from fingers, lotion, sunscreenā€”lots of low grade damage potential that can make it look bad over time. The protective film will work fine for a while but it wonā€™t hold up the way a screen protector will. The screen protectors could look bad eventually too, but you can just peel it off and start over good as new. They are so cheap especially relative to the cost of the screen.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

@JABCAT

What you have on there is a protective film of sorts. Thin thin and not the barrier a quality screen protector offers.... Sure that flimsy film, will afford some protection for for awhile.... again, afford the radio screen some, a ad of protection.... but that film will undoubtedly not last long and really is no substitute for a quality screen protector.

Big problem is fingers transferring acids/ whatever to the screen and that whatever etch' s the screen.. Rough, callous fingers also raise havoc with the screen.

Then you have the chance of scratching the screen thanks to dirty fingers, improper cleaning of screen, etc..

As with Jay Walking, you can do it for years and never get run over..... In regard to the pricey pricey 8.4 screen... well, a $5.00+- quality screen protector is lets say good insurance..

By the way, over the last 3 years this forum has had plenty of posts talking 8.4 screen damage... damage from pressing repeatedly in one area, scratches, work related chemicals transferring from fingers to screen and more....

Sponsored