First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Sure he might have issues… but keep in mind he’s got a financial incentive to always be swapping out for new things. A new 392 or 4xe (which it look like he just bought, or at least did a review on) will surely drive additional sponsorship deals and YouTube views.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not surprised. A diesel on a vehicle that can't tow more than 3,500 lbs nor haul more than 500 lbs is an answer to a question no one asked.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
That diesel should have been a CUMMINS. We all know it. A Fiat diesel is a piece of crap. And add in all the extra smog restrictors and it just makes it worse.

Every YouTube mechanic video on that engine is very clear about how it has to be babied.

They did us a disservice. It could have been a Cummins. Maybe one day we will get a Cummins.

Cummins.

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
I wonder if he would have had the overheating issues if he had regeared? Anywho, we still love ours!
That might have helped considerably as it probably had him down in 5th or 6th gear with all that weight and RPMs too high. I'm about to add tons and 40s to mine but don't plan on towing a trailer. Hope I don't have those issues. The DEF issue can be planned for. There is no 2200 mile trail that you ever stuck on.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
That might have helped considerably as it probably had him down in 5th or 6th gear with all that weight and RPMs too high. I'm about to add tons and 40s to mine but don't plan on towing a trailer. Hope I don't have those issues. The DEF issue can be planned for. There is no 2200 mile trail that you ever stuck on.
How would regearing reduce temps let alon reduce revs?

Sponsored

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
In CO thin air, going up a mountain, 80 degrees so I assume the AC was on, 1k of mods on Jeep, towing 2k trailer, on 37s without gears…and we are surprised it got hot.

Also, I don’t get the DEF complaint, I came from a Cummins Ram and if you are going to boondock in nowhere you fill up before you go and get on with life.

I like his channel, if he thinks the 4XE is going to be better, I think his opinion will soon change. Oh well, to each his own, wonder where he sold his rig, I’m open to buy it.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
That diesel should have been a CUMMINS. We all know it. A Fiat diesel is a piece of crap. And add in all the extra smog restrictors and it just makes it worse.

Every YouTube mechanic video on that engine is very clear about how it has to be babied.

They did us a disservice. It could have been a Cummins. Maybe one day we will get a Cummins.

Cummins.
It's a V.M. Motori diesel that's been in production a while. And they've been making diesels for a long time.

Just because Fiat bought them out doesn't make it a Fiat.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It's a V.M. Motori diesel that's been in production a while. And they've been making diesels for a long time.

Just because Fiat bought them out doesn't make it a Fiat.
Yep, and it was a joint venture with GM. The baby Duramax in the Colorado was also from VM Motori.

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
How would regearing reduce temps let alon reduce revs?
I know I'm going to do a bad job of explaining this so hopefully someone can help me out here. Increasing tire size without changing gearing moves the torque points that the factory programs in for stock tire sizes. These are ballpark and not exact number but a stock diesel might be turning 1728 RPMs at 70 mph. A Jeep on 37s would be turning 1538 RPMs. But as the load increases that low RPM is going to lug the engine and make it downshift to 7th gear which jumps RPMs to 1971 RPMs to maintain that speed. But now assume you have an extra 2500 lbs behind you. Then it might further shift down to 6th gear which puts the RPMs at 2404 or even 5th gear which jumps the RPMs to 3149. That's going to increase the demand on the engine and increase the temps.

Now assume the same vehicle with 37s is geared to 4.10. 8th gear at 70 mph is 1691 RPMs and 7th is 2166. It's closer to the proper torque band. 4.56 gears would be 1881 RPMs in 8th and 2409 in 7th. With that gearing I doubt there is a need for the transmission to hunt down to 6th or 5th gear. Proper gearing keeps the vehicle in the proper torque band and the ultimately the RPMs and temps down. I hope that makes sense.

I got my numbers by using the gear ratio calculator on Grimmjeeper.com.