MBLY

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR V6 Auto - 17 Audi R8 V10 Plus
How quickly people forget.
There have been plenty of cases where people have stopped, got out of their cars, went to open a gate or garage door and then been run over by their vehicle - because, they did not put it in park. It happens - obviously enough that they have implemented this.

I think the last "famous" accident was Anton Yelchin, Chekov in the recent Star Trek movies.
Sounds like a lot of dumb people.
Sponsored

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
C'mon...see post #18. Shameless plagiarism. I suppose you're going to get the same color JL as me, too?
Great (or twisted) minds think alike. Or maybe it's because I'm actually from LI too (Rockville Centre).

Sorry...missed your post. What do your vanity plates say? We're in different states so I can plagiarize that too.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Great (or twisted) minds think alike. Or maybe it's because I'm actually from LI too (Rockville Centre).

Sorry...missed your post. What do your vanity plates say? We're in different states so I can plagiarize that too.
I used to teach in Rockville Centre, so maybe you've seen my plates...MSNTHROP (see my avatar)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Who’s going to take care of us with manual transmission? We are doomed :facepalm::giggle:
Yeah... one time when I was a teenager I got out of my old Saturn with the 5 speed, left it in neutral with the motor running so I could pull something off of the windshield. well the parking brake failed when I closed my door and the daggone car flew down the hill into a tree. Manual drivers aren't immune to mistakes too lol.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
That is incredibly dangerous because the SRS system will be under the impression you are always buckled in and the airbags could deploy when your belt isn't fastened under any condition. You are much better off just buckling the belt behind you when you are inching the car along so that in every other driving scenario the SRS system will operate as designed.
I'm not saying to drive around without a seatbelt, but to be able to inch the car a foot or 2 without having to buckle the belt first, or shut the door, this would be fine. Don't think you're going to get into an accident at 1-2 mph and have SRS deploy. I can't drive out of my driveway without buckling my belt, so this would be no danger to me ;)

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Auto park is driving me nuts. Am i the only one? If you push to start and then step on the brake, auto park engages. If you start, then open the door and then shift into gear, auto park engages. I have to shut off the engine and start all over even though the display says shift to park and then drive, but that doesn't work. I'd like it gone---any suggestions.
Went to a car wash this weekend where you get out of the car as it goes through the wash. I heard auto park would be a problem so I buckled the seat belt behind me and then got out. Well... that didn't work. About a third of the way into the wash, the jeep decided to park itself. They had to shut the whole thing down and some poor kid has to go through the soapy brushes to get into it. He rode in it the rest of the way. Overhead the manager yelling to an associate....ohhh these new Jeeps! Any solutions other than just disengaging the transfer case by putting it in neutral?

Myjeep

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JL Sahara
Auto park is driving me nuts. Am i the only one? If you push to start and then step on the brake, auto park engages. If you start, then open the door and then shift into gear, auto park engages. I have to shut off the engine and start all over even though the display says shift to park and then drive, but that doesn't work. I'd like it gone---any suggestions.
This is a real nuisance when moving a trailer a few inches. To check trailer level, need a few inches, need to shut door, buckle seatbelt. Repeat. I look forward to finding a way to disable this. If the doors are off, it is disabled?.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is a real nuisance when moving a trailer a few inches. To check trailer level, need a few inches, need to shut door, buckle seatbelt. Repeat. I look forward to finding a way to disable this. If the doors are off, it is disabled?.
If the doors are off entirely the autopark would have to be disabled. Otherwise you're going nowhere.

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
Is this only on the top of the line models? I dont see it listed on a Sport-S . I hope so.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is this only on the top of the line models? I dont see it listed on a Sport-S . I hope so.
It's on all Jeeps with the automatic transmission.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Went to a car wash this weekend where you get out of the car as it goes through the wash. I heard auto park would be a problem so I buckled the seat belt behind me and then got out. Well... that didn't work. About a third of the way into the wash, the jeep decided to park itself. They had to shut the whole thing down and some poor kid has to go through the soapy brushes to get into it. He rode in it the rest of the way. Overhead the manager yelling to an associate....ohhh these new Jeeps! Any solutions other than just disengaging the transfer case by putting it in neutral?
I guess you could use the manual override that you use to put it in neutral when the battery is dead, every time you go to that car wash. I’d probably just use the transfer case.

RDT300

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had same problem going through car wash but made it to the end of conveyor before auto park kicked in. Then got stuck. Pain in the ass!!! I wonder if disconnecting the wiring harness of driver door would disable it, before going through the wash???

Myjeep

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JL Sahara
The seat belt is not the problem, it is having the door open.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I had same problem going through car wash but made it to the end of conveyor before auto park kicked in. Then got stuck. Pain in the ass!!! I wonder if disconnecting the wiring harness of driver door would disable it, before going through the wash???
I don’t use that type of car wash, but there’s a door in front of the shifter on the console. In it is a thing you pull to physicaly put the transmission into neutral instead of electronically. Like if you had no electrical power and had to load Jeep on a tow truck. Check owners manual for instructions on use, but that might work.
Sponsored