Sponsored

So what are the hidden options you get when you upgrade? I.e. Infotainment gets better windshield...

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
@Grimm_E

The side vents are open and have little to no air flow restriction.

The guy who runs the "Jeep Informant" YouTube channel took a JL apart to see how functional the side vents really are, and while it's true that they are real vents, they are certainly not openly venting the heat from the engine. It really takes some work to even find them up behind the fenders from the inside. I don't see much if any engine heat being extracted from those.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The guy who runs the "Jeep Informant" YouTube channel took a JL apart to see how functional the side vents really are, and while it's true that they are real vents, they are certainly not openly venting the heat from the engine. It really takes some work to even find them up behind the fenders from the inside. I don't see much if any engine heat being extracted from those.
My understanding is that they don't need to vent heat as much as relieve air pressure buildup in the engine compartment at highway speeds.

Last edited:

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I don't think it's with the infotainment, but with the alpine stereo upgrade. You get acoustically tuned laminated glass to reduce unwanted noise in the cabin.
Does this actually make a difference? Meaning noticeably. I need a new windshield (needed one since about week 2) and was not planning on going accountic and just whatever was the cheapest.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Not really hidden, but the hardtop adds wiper and washer for the rear. I'm planning on the dual top group because I want these - I'd probably use the soft top 90% of the time in FL but when I go north in the winter to snowboard it would be nice to throw the hard top on and have the wiper and washer.

Sponsored

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
Does this actually make a difference? Meaning noticeably. I need a new windshield (needed one since about week 2) and was not planning on going accountic and just whatever was the cheapest.
Double check with your insurance. I have free glass replacement. However, i think with mine if I want any form that is different then the "replacement" part I have to pay the difference. Although, I would assume that since acoustic glass is OEM that they would have to find the same or equivalent to that which is still free.

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Double check with your insurance. I have free glass replacement. However, i think with mine if I want any form that is different then the "replacement" part I have to pay the difference. Although, I would assume that since acoustic glass is OEM that they would have to find the same or equivalent to that which is still free.
I know I dont get free glass on insurance and know enough about insurance (at least from what I know in LA) that any claim is seen as a claim so I always just do winshields separate. I could do a no deductible winshield option but it is an extra $50 a month! And would still be seen as a claim.

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
I know I dont get free glass on insurance and know enough about insurance (at least from what I know in LA) that any claim is seen as a claim so I always just do winshields separate. I could do a no deductible winshield option but it is an extra $50 a month! And would still be seen as a claim.
Damn... extra $50 a month is a lot.

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
Three states mandate windshield replacements to be free on your insurance, with no penalties. They’d rather the insurance pay to replace than you to wreck driving trying to see through spiderwebs...

Here’s a list of states and what coverage they mandate, if anyone is interested.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/magazines/mag-features/2012/07/02/253290.htm

Last edited:

Sponsored

ekometti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge 392, 2015 Cayenne S
Well... That throws a monkey wrench in the mix!

“Life is funny isn’t it? Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out,
just when you finally begin to plan something, get excited about something,
and feel like you know what direction you’re heading in, the paths change,
the signs change, the wind blows the other way, north is suddenly south, and
east is west, and you’re lost. It is so easy to lose your way, to lose direction.
And that’s with following all the signposts”

― Cecelia Ahern
Carry a compass.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My understanding is that they don't need to vent heat as much as relieve air pressure buildup in the engine compartment at highway speeds.
That would be interesting considering that on the highway is where you need it the least. You've got plenty of air circulating through the radiator on the highway.

Guys with overheating JKs were usually on the trail somewhere.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
That would be interesting considering that on the highway is where you need it the least. You've got plenty of air circulating through the radiator on the highway.

Guys with overheating JKs were usually on the trail somewhere.
Which is why the Rubicon trim now always has hood vents too. Of course, they should offer an upgraded hood with vents for the Sport as an option instead of sending people aftermarket. No need for mall crawler Saharas. ;)

FloridaCowboy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Charger 2015 Dodge Challenger 2017 MX 5 RF
Occupation
Retired
Same here just picked mine up today. Sahara without Alpine or 8.4 inch and I have the acoustic glass as well.

I picked up my Sahara last week also and got the Acoustic glass, stock radio...maybe they were out, or giving everyone this. Just like they are now including fuel doors

Does anyone have a horrible toxic plastic smell when all windows are up ? Especially if ifs in the hot sun.
Got my windows tinted and can't lower for 3 days. Even horrible with ac on.
Owned 30 new vehicles in the last 40 yrs and never smelled anything like this.
Definitely not the new car smell!
Sponsored