Sponsored

NEWBIE GRANDMA can't shift AT ALL from 2H to 4H!! What the...??

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
SO I can't go anywhere to even get the recommended PVC.
It wouldn't need to necessarily be PVC. Any type of stiff tubing in a diameter sufficient to slip over the shift knob will provide you with extra leverage.
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I've been watching this discussion with interest in the final outcome. If in fact the problem is as stated I would have a mechanic look at it before using extension pipes etc as leverage to try and get the case in or out of 4wd. something is wrong if it's that hard to shift. call a tow and send to dealer or a 4wd mechanic if no warranty. Surely some 4 wheeler that lives close by or not can go by and give the lady a hand. Just my 2 cents worth. It could be something simple that she is or is not doing.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It’s stuck because you’re trying to engage 4H while still- move literally 1 or 2 feet and it should allow the gears to engage
4H is synchronized. The tugging action of the lever synchronizes the gears. Despite what many members are saying here, you can absolutely put it in 4H while completely stationary.

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual
The good thing about this thread is that anyone who is/has not regularly pulled their Jeep into 4H will be doing so going forward. Especially helpful for new Wrangler owners such as myself!

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
4H is synchronized. The tugging action of the lever synchronizes the gears. Despite what many members are saying here, you can absolutely put it in 4H while completely stationary.
True —- You can but in this particular case I think she needs to move the jeep - not even necessarily be moving while engaging it, but just move the jeep and try again. Even if it’s just a few inches. Her t-case lever is stuck and that’s just what my intuition is telling me will fix it.

HempelNet

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR (Crystal Granite)
Occupation
Sr. Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine took his 2018 JL Sport-S wheeling with us for the first time and had some issues with putting the Jeep in 4H.

With a lot of tugging the Jeep would finally go into 4H but would slip into a neutral position after awhile. The Jeep would not go into 4L no matter how hard we tried. So we wheeled in 4H and kept an eye on his Jeep.

After having the dealer look at the Jeep (several days later) it was determined a new transfer case was needed and ordered under warranty. I doubt the service documentation is still around but can ask if interested.

It appears your story is a little different but wanted to pass the information along for others.

OP
OP
Diggin'

Diggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Lol, congrats! Foot on the dash?
I moved a few boxes away from the front of the Jeep. Got in my BIG GREEN MAMA and moved the Jeep up about a foot. Put it in reverse. Began a slow move backwards....and VOILA!!!! It easily moved into 4H. UMPFFFFFFFFFFFFF. FISTS IN THE AIR. All 5' 3" of me. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL NEWBIE GRANDMA can't shift AT ALL from 2H to 4H!! What the...?? 1641489059860

Sponsored

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
giphy.gif

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I moved a few boxes away from the front of the Jeep. Got in my BIG GREEN MAMA and moved the Jeep up about a foot. Put it in reverse. Began a slow move backwards....and VOILA!!!! It easily moved into 4H. UMPFFFFFFFFFFFFF. FISTS IN THE AIR. All 5' 3" of me. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL NEWBIE GRANDMA can't shift AT ALL from 2H to 4H!! What the...?? giphy
OMG, this was like watching an episode of Law and Order SVU. Lots of twists and turns, possible missing grandma, and in the end, everything worked out well!!!! Now to start watching another thread.... I need to get a hobby (other than off-roading). Happy Thursday y'all!

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
OMG, this was like watching an episode of Law and Order SVU. Lots of twists and turns, possible missing grandma, and in the end, everything worked out well!!!! Now to start watching another thread.... I need to get a hobby (other than off-roading). Happy Thursday y'all!
I love this community! Congrats Grandma!!!!