Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Between the ESS and the auto park the Automatic guys are going crazy:giggle: I’m glad I joined the clutch gang.
Oh it ain't bad, ESS is easy to get along with and I don't drive around with my doors open, so Auto-park doesn't bother me. I do enjoy a good Manual tranny though, don't get me wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yesterday, with the doors off and seat belt on my dash started showing "Vehicle Not in Park" messages while cruising down the road. I still think these computers and CAN-BUS wiring are getting too invasive in vehicles.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Oh it ain't bad, ESS is easy to get along with and I don't drive around with my doors open, so Auto-park doesn't bother me. I do enjoy a good Manual tranny though, don't get me wrong.
I once knew a tranny named Manuel. He/she was really funny...

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I joined just to post in this thread LOL! I'm very interested in the JL. While researching I cam across this about this thread about AutoPark and am not happy at all about it. As mentioned, I often inch my vehicles along with the door open.

Anyway, has anyone tried jumpering the driver's side seatbelt wires so the jeep just always thinks the belt is plugged in?

YaThatAintRight

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon "THE LLAMA"
Occupation
Automotive Instructional Designer
I joined just to post in this thread LOL! I'm very interested in the JL. While researching I cam across this about this thread about AutoPark and am not happy at all about it. As mentioned, I often inch my vehicles along with the door open.

Anyway, has anyone tried jumpering the driver's side seatbelt wires so the jeep just always thinks the belt is plugged in?
That is incredibly dangerous because the SRS system will be under the impression you are always buckled in and the airbags could deploy when your belt isn't fastened under any condition. You are much better off just buckling the belt behind you when you are inching the car along so that in every other driving scenario the SRS system will operate as designed.

Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Does autopark only engage if the door is open and the seatbelt unbuckled? It's happened a few times where I started to drive off, realized my door was not fully closed, opened and closed my door while driving 15-20 mph to properly close it and nothing happened.
If you were driving highway speeds, no seatbelt, and opened the door, would the jeep just slam itself in to park? Seems like a safety hazard at that point.
How (or why) in God's name would you open the door driving at highway speeds.

YaThatAintRight

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon "THE LLAMA"
Occupation
Automotive Instructional Designer
Or.......who drives around at highway speeds in this day and age without a seat belt.....and then decides they want to open the door.

At this point almost every manufacturer has vehicles equipped with auto park and the same logic. The Wrangler is just the latest vehicle to implement the safety feature. The complaining is echoed across many automotive forums but it is here to stay. The manufacturers aren't going to risk the liability of rollaways to appease the trailer crowd.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Or.......who drives around at highway speeds in this day and age without a seat belt.....and then decides they want to open the door.

At this point almost every manufacturer has vehicles equipped with auto park and the same logic. The Wrangler is just the latest vehicle to implement the safety feature. The complaining is echoed across many automotive forums but it is here to stay. The manufacturers aren't going to risk the liability of rollaways to appease the trailer crowd.
They forget that the safety hazard IS them driving at highway speeds with no seat belt, attempting to open the door. because that'll end up just wonderful.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
You have to close the door before you shift into park to disengage the auto-park. If you open the door again, it will reengage. I'm still not aware of any scenario where you'd need to drive with your door open so it shouldn't be a big issue for anyone.
A situation I ran into is having the vehicle in Neutral with a few clicks on the E-brake to create enough tension for wrapping up my synthetic winch line.

I ended up putting the damn transfer case in neutral and managed to get it to work.

To hell with this babysitting auto-park.

Sponsored

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
When backing up to my boat for hookup, I get out and check how close I am. No the camera does not help. If I am out by an inch or so I would hop back into the jeep, leave the door open, reverse the jeep, check and repeat.
Now I have to actually get in and close the door each time.
I can just make out the ball of my hitch at the bottom center of the screen of the backup camara. That allows me to line it up perfectly every time. Perhaps just get a slightly longer tongue and then you could see yours too.

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
How quickly people forget.
There have been plenty of cases where people have stopped, got out of their cars, went to open a gate or garage door and then been run over by their vehicle - because, they did not put it in park. It happens - obviously enough that they have implemented this.

I think the last "famous" accident was Anton Yelchin, Chekov in the recent Star Trek movies.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
How quickly people forget.
There have been plenty of cases where people have stopped, got out of their cars, went to open a gate or garage door and then been run over by their vehicle - because, they did not put it in park. It happens - obviously enough that they have implemented this.

I think the last "famous" accident was Anton Yelchin, Chekov in the recent Star Trek movies.
Who’s going to take care of us with manual transmission? We are doomed :facepalm::giggle:

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)