In case you're wavering on ordering the steel bumper option

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Agreed, I've read stories of it's flexing and causing body damage when bottomed out off road. I'm going to replace it with one that takes the weight of the spare off of the tailgate, if I can find one that doesn't rattle.
Agreed.

I am thinking of going with the LOD system. I really like it. But, that will be a few years down the road while I pretend to make some money (or at least not loose any more) in the market.
Sponsored

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Agreed.

I am thinking of going with the LOD system. I really like it. But, that will be a few years down the road while I pretend to make some money (or at least not loose any more) in the market.
Yeah, I'm going with a pair of LOD rock rails/steps and that will be the last expensive upgrade for a while.

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I agree about the steel bumpers- my new Rubi got rearended a little over a week ago, before I'd even made the first payment. I got hit pretty hard- the 05 Titan that hit me was totaled out and the estimate for mine was about 2300. The spare hit the tailgate, which cracked through to the inside. Bumper was scratched a bit but you can't even notice from 10' away.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I rear-ended a Honda CRV yesterday. No one was hurt. It was one of those situations where the car in front is making a right on red, takes off, and then changes their mind and slams on the brakes. My fault, but why do people do that?

Bottom line: Their rear end was completely crushed. My front bumper (Hard Rock steel) had a scratch on the plastic bezel (easily replaced) that houses the fog light. That's it.

The Hard Rock bumper cut that Honda up like a can-opener. I'm not gloating; just amazed at the durability. In fact, the person I hit said "I know what my next car will be".

[Put a real crimp in my day]

p.s. I'm buying a Diesel Rubicon later this year and I'm looking forward to having the safety nannies that aren't on my JK.

Would the Advanced Safety Group have helped in this situation - or - would it have been a crap shoot?

damage.jpg

First, Glad you're not hurt!

But isn't the whole point of bumpers and body panels on modern cars so that they crush easily and absorb the force of impact instead of it being transferred to occupants? I'm sure in a slow collision like this it may not matter, but at higher speeds you'd want your jeep to be destroyed outside and the area you're in to stay in tact. This is the whole reason Wrangler was given poor safety ratings overseas!

Yes I am fun at parties :ontheloo:

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
And if you want them to last off-warranty, buy a Honda.
I have all the safety features in a 2018 Pilot and all the safety features in my 2019 JLUR. FCA has them implemented way better than Honda. Hondas might still be working five years but theirs suck compared to Jeep. Pilot false positve all the time and has been to shop twice to adjust. Jeep false positive is rare.

Sponsored

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Active safety group on my Gladiator saved my ass once. Rainy Wednesday evening on way home tired from long day at work, bumper to bumper traffic, exit onto a connecting freeway exchange at about 45mph, look over shoulder to check for opening, and bam, the alert goes off. Grey SUV changed lanes at last second and stood on the brakes to get in front of me. I was able to get on the brakes before it did it for me, but those couple milliseconds on wet pavement saved me from a nasty accident. Before that It had given me maybe 4 false positives (no brakes applied just alarm), and I cursed at it those times because it is quite alarming. But I definitely said thank you that Wednesday.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So...it's been two years since I posted this. I've now had both safety packages on my new Jeep for 18 months, and like them. The Blind Spot Monitoring and Cross-Traffic (backup) are especially efficient.

In my experience, the false positives for the Front Collision Warning are non-existent. It works flawlessly. I'm not sure if the members posting skepticism are speaking from actual personal experience, or simply speculating.

IMO these two options are worth their weight in gold. Basically they are insurance for your family's safety. I find it odd that there is a mad rush to buy extended warranty insurance to protect your pocket book, but owners stop short of buying a safety feature to protect their lives.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Damn, you ripped the letters and numbers right off their license plate!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I like the BSM and the backup sensors. But I draw the line there.

If the BSM or the backup sensors stop working, I can continue driving the Jeep. But when the forward sensors start acting up, a lot of vital functions get compromised.

No thanks, I’ll pass.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
So...it's been two years since I posted this. I've now had both safety packages on my new Jeep for 18 months, and like them. The Blind Spot Monitoring and Cross-Traffic (backup) are especially efficient.

In my experience, the false positives for the Front Collision Warning are non-existent. It works flawlessly. I'm not sure if the members posting skepticism are speaking from actual personal experience, or simply speculating.

IMO these two options are worth their weight in gold. Basically they are insurance for your family's safety. I find it odd that there is a mad rush to buy extended warranty insurance to protect your pocket book, but owners stop short of buying a safety feature to protect their lives.
Glad you're having a positive experience with it. Mine unfortunately was pretty negative and I actually almost got into an accident once because it slammed on my brakes in the middle of an intersection. It really doesn't like when there's two turning lanes for whatever reason -- or didn't for me. Now, I was lifted, etc, so maybe my system was thrown off because of that and I shouldn't be judging. But either way, had to disable it. I did retain the factory bumpers though... so not sure. I have it on my 392 and so far it's been actually just fine, even on those same turning lanes. So I think they've improved it. But with high traffic on my '19 -- those turning lanes near Frank Lloyd Right, I could reproduce it every single time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
But with high traffic on my '19 -- those turning lanes near Frank Lloyd Right, I could reproduce it every single time.
That area near Frank Lloyd Wright, Hayden, and the 101 is a mecca for crazy drivers. The Costco in that neighborhood is closest to my house but I avoid it due to the free-for-all driving.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
That area near Frank Lloyd Wright, Hayden, and the 101 is a mecca for crazy drivers. The Costco in that neighborhood is closest to my house but I avoid it due to the free-for-all driving.
Yeah, gets nuts for sure. The number of times I've seen people drive into Cactus (they hit the median and go into one) or the wrong way into parking lots (by the Starbucks across street from Target) is hilariously disturbing.

And it's about to get a lot worse once the open is here... ugh. I'm up in McDowell Mountain Ranch, so I at least have an option to avoid it by going Pima... I avoid 101/FLR and Desert ridge... getting too nuts here.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I am just gonna say it, the advanced safety group should really just be called the "Texting While Driving" or "Distracted Driver" group.

Flame away, but anyone who needs this, doesn't need to be on the road. The thought of putting your family's safety in the hands of the same engineers that couldn't figure out back up lines should scare the dookie out of everyone.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I have the front steel bumper since I got the 2021 freedom package. Not only is it a good looking, quality bumper, but it is good to know that you can ram cell phone distracted jerks that don’t move when lights turn green.

Granted I’ve only had to use my horn up to this point, but it’s always good to know you have the option! Just sayin’. 😂

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think the technology is good if it works. I have it on other vehicles. Some work better than others.

I personally did not order the safety options for my 2022 JLR after seeing a review very early on. There was a youtube review video out when the blind spot and cross detection options were first introduced. The reviewers parked too close to another vehicle and the safety system got confused. It would keep braking or something thinking something was in the way. The safety system kept the Wrangler from being able to back out.

There is supposed to be more safety for the 2023 refresh. There is supposed to be side-impact airbags.
Sponsored

Last edited: