Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm fairly certain they're all kidding.
Probably...but as they say, there is some truth behind every jest.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Probably...but as they say, there is some truth behind every jest.
Agreed.

Years ago, we'd dribble used motor oil around the fence posts to eliminate seasonal weed growth. It always worked, and worked well. Our only expense was our time. I don't do this anymore, preferring Round-Up for its broadband efficiency. That said, I'm not losing sleep about old habits, either.

Reactions: GtX

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I remember back in the 60s when I was visiting my grandparents farm in rural KY and watching the road maintenance crew going down the gravel road in front of their farm spraying what looked like used motor oil on the road to reduce dust. It's been paved since then.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
If you install a Fumoto valve all the other stuff becomes almost inconsequential. You could literally drain your oil into 12oz soda cans without spilling a drop.
I bought the one with the small nipple and bought the hose and two fittings that just snap on and put into an oil container. Twist the lever and walk away. You can start on the filter cartridge and when you have that back in, but close the lever, pop off the snap fitting and fill it with oil. 10 minute job and you know it is done right.

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I put the old oil back in the bottles and take them back to costco and say oops i bought the wrong one. Full refund thank you costco. See you in 5k miles
I’ll definitely be making sure my oil bottles haven’t been opened before after reading this. 🤣

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I use the Red Green method.....drain the old oil then pour it through a filter right back into the vehicle. Good as new! I added the link in case you have no idea who Red is...
Awesome! 🤣I used to watch these guys all the time. They come up with classics!

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My dad's shop used to use waste oil heaters that would burn motor oil, actually almost any kind of oil, instead of natural gas. Burning 5 gallons of oil could save them $20 in natural gas cost. I would save my oil and take it up there about 10 gallons at a time. I haven't been using as much oil the past few years because I haven't been driving nearly as much, and I'm not sure their oil heaters are still running, so my last few oil changes I took my oil to our nearby Autozone. I called and they told me they would take up to 5 gallons at a time. I've bought a few jugs of oil at Walmart recently, this time I bought a jug from Autozone and took them 3 jugs full of used oil.
I work at a place that has a waste oil heater. I really hope we get some really frigid winters because after the last two, we are almost out of space for waste oil. We stopped taking it due to that. Best part is, we can run that thing full bore and the shop is more than toasty. Only downfall with some people that drop off the oil is that they put in things that will not work (coolant, brake fluid, etc). On top of that people that just let the filter sit in the 5 gallon bucket make my life a mess as those can create a real mess when transferring it. If you do a lawn mower, please not fill up the oil with grass. I have to filter that out.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Only downfall with some people that drop off the oil is that they put in things that will not work (coolant, brake fluid, etc). On top of that people that just let the filter sit in the 5 gallon bucket make my life a mess as those can create a real mess when transferring it. If you do a lawn mower, please not fill up the oil with grass. I have to filter that out.
A local independent garage accepts used motor oil for his heating system. I got on the owner's good side by pouring the jugs into his [messy, dark] collection sink myself, instead of expecting him to do it, and I mention the brand and weight of the used oil as I'm pouring it. This saves me a drive to Vato Zone, where the tanks are full more often than not, and I'm supporting a small business owner.

With several mouths to feed (Jeep, two Hondas, two motorcycles and a shed full of small engines), the accumulation of waste oil can sometimes sneak up on me.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A local independent garage accepts used motor oil for his heating system. I got on the owner's good side by pouring the jugs into his [messy, dark] collection sink myself, instead of expecting him to do it, and I mention the brand and weight of the used oil as I'm pouring it. This saves me a drive to Vato Zone, where the tanks are full more often than not, and I'm supporting a small business owner.
...and recycling too. The oil you give him gets burned and the part that isn't converted to energy goes in to the atmosphere and people breathe it, then die, then they are buried and it goes back into the ground where it came from. Full cycle, recycle.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
If you install a Fumoto valve all the other stuff becomes almost inconsequential. You could literally drain your oil into 12oz soda cans without spilling a drop.
I’ve somehow never heard of these… ordered that and the tube attachment, this forum is just the best for quality of life stuff lol. THANK YOU!

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
WE SALUTE YOU!

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Advance Auto will take your used oil and filters and dispose of them for free. I think my drain reservoir thing is 15 quarts. Enough for the Subaru and Chevy oil change.
Sponsored