Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I’ve used Google to search through this thread, but didn’t find this answer.
I have proximity doors, but could I add this to the rear seat doors as well?
I don't think so. The front and rear door handles are the same, but at the very least you'd have to build custom wiring harnesses for the rear doors, and I'm not even sure that whatever module(s) involved with system operation would be capable of recognizing the additional doors.
Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I bought my package from Nismopar and it was received within 5 days. Installed the whole thing in about 2 hours and used the Tazer to program everything. Super easy and works great!!

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I’m going to give this a go. Just called the local dealer and they have the front door parts in stock. I’ll head over this afternoon to pick them up. It’ll give me something to do over the next few days.

Wish me luck!

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just realized I ordered the one with BSM and I don’t have BSM on my Jeep. Anyone know if it’ll still work or do I have to have the non BSM harness?

Edit: Just found a post from someone who installed the BSM harness but didn’t have BSM on their Jeep and it worked without any issues. Looks like I lucked out on that one.

When I picked up the harness, the dealer auto corrected my part number to the AG version. As I understand it, that one will work for either BSM or w/o BSM.

Last edited:

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Well, as always I ran into an issue. I broke one of the window bolts when I went to remove it. So now I have to order a window assembly.

Debating on just installing it missing one of the bolts but not sure if it’ll hold the window.

Sponsored

jurassic3k

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
Well, as always I ran into an issue. I broke one of the window bolts when I went to remove it. So now I have to order a window assembly.

Debating on just installing it missing one of the bolts but not sure if it’ll hold the window. That really sucks....I just installed my kit today and thankfully other than freezing my butt off it went smooth.
How did the bolt break? One of the two at the bottom?

Last edited:

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
How did the bolt break? One of the two at the bottom?
Yeah those 2 that hold the window to the assembly. Lol, just my luck these days.

I went ahead and installed it with the missing bolt. The window goes up and down just fine and I held on to it and tried to move it up and down by hand. It’s tight and should work just fine until the replacement arrives. I put in an order for a new window assembly.

As for the rest, all went well. Install otherwise was pretty straight forward. I enabled the proximity through my Tazer. Then went to my radio and clicked settings then doors and sure enough, the passive proximity thing showed up. Wasn’t there before. I clicked the box then put my hand in the handle and bam, door unlocks. Pressed the button and it locks. Woooohoooo. I started to dance, ask my wife.

Maybe the best mod yet. Sucks I now have to swap the window thing due to the head of the bolt twisting off but otherwise pretty excited about the mod.

Not bad for calling the local dealer today and getting all the parts same day.

jurassic3k

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
Yeah those 2 that hold the window to the assembly. Lol, just my luck these days.

I went ahead and installed it with the missing bolt. The window goes up and down just fine and I held on to it and tried to move it up and down by hand. It’s tight and should work just fine until the replacement arrives. I put in an order for a new window assembly.

As for the rest, all went well. Install otherwise was pretty straight forward. I enabled the proximity through my Tazer. Then went to my radio and clicked settings then doors and sure enough, the passive proximity thing showed up. Wasn’t there before. I clicked the box then put my hand in the handle and bam, door unlocks. Pressed the button and it locks. Woooohoooo. I started to dance, ask my wife.

Maybe the best mod yet. Sucks I now have to swap the window thing due to the head of the bolt twisting off but otherwise pretty excited about the mod.

Not bad for calling the local dealer today and getting all the parts same day.
Thats really too bad....I froze my rear off today installing it in my Willys. The tailgate was the easiest part by far. I didn't realize it would show up on the head unit....I'll have to check that out in the morning. Such a worthwhile upgrade....should have been an option on my Jeep. That's great you were able to get the kit locally. Mine came from NY.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone doing this, you only need to loosen the bolts holding the window. I made the mistake of using an electric tool and wasn’t paying attention. It spun the head right off the bolt. I guess the right one doesn’t like coming out. Left one came right out not issues though.

Anyway, for those doing this in the future, I’d just loosen the bolts and pull the window up. No need to try to remove them completely.

Last edited:

JointJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Willys, ‘07 JKU Sport, ‘00 XJ
I just took delivery on a ‘21 JLU Willys I ordered in July. I ordered it with every available option which did not include the proximity locks. I’ve read most of this thread and watched some install videos. Is it possible to determine if my door harness has the extra pigtail needed for the proximity handles without disassemble the door panels? I thought about checking the tailgate harness first since some have said it was the easiest. Thanks!

Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just took delivery on a ‘21 JLU Willys I ordered in July. I ordered it with every available option which did not include the proximity locks. I’ve read most of this thread and watched some install videos. Is it possible to determine if my door harness has the extra pigtail needed for the proximity handles without disassemble the door panels? I thought about checking the tailgate harness first since some have said it was the easiest. Thanks!
I also have a ‘21 Willys, although it is a 2-door. Ordered most of the options available, except proximity door locks, which I installed last week. The wiring harnesses that came on my Jeep didn’t include the extra connector for proximity door locks. It was a fairly easy install. If you do a want to look, it should only take about 15 mins to get the door panel and inner panel off. It seems a little daunting, but it’s really not too difficult.

JointJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Willys, ‘07 JKU Sport, ‘00 XJ
I also have a ‘21 Willys, although it is a 2-door. Ordered most of the options available, except proximity door locks, which I installed last week. The wiring harnesses that came on my Jeep didn’t include the extra connector for proximity door locks. It was a fairly easy install. If you do a want to look, it should only take about 15 mins to get the door panel and inner panel off. It seems a little daunting, but it’s really not too difficult.
Thanks for your reply. I’ll take a look before ordering. I still have hope it’s there since mine was just built and it is a factory option on the 2022’s. I’ll post back after.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Mine didn’t have it and I hoped it did being a Rubicon.

Good luck!

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my fiasco.

Part is on back order but my luck must be changing, a local dealer had one in stock which also had new bolts installed. I’ll swap it today and be good as new.

Atazjax

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Thinking about doing the passive entry install to my sport S. A bit confused about the wires needed between the xy315a and the door harness. Some posts say there are wires on both sides of 20/21 and 25/26. Is this the case? Also which side do you tap into? I’m assuming the side that has the blank pins below but a poster said this didn’t work. Thank in advance!
DEDD303C-7F05-4208-9242-30A23C5855E6.png
82B78B7D-39B2-4A90-B856-AC2DCA262CDC.png
To avoid confusion in this post, 25-26 are DRIVER SIDE!!!!!
Sponsored