Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler posts highest sales month ever, nearly outselling the Camry

VanSchmittenstein

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Are the JK’s and JL’s built in the same factory? If so the output is independent of the model and volumes will be a function of demand. I also don’t feel FCA would have shutoff supply of the JK if the demand were still there from the dealer network, they are indifferent as to what they make, money is money. The other thing to remember, the sales numbers are dealer deliveries and based on some of the posts on this blog a lot of units are hung up in shipping so the delivery numbers are lower than they might otherwise be. The bottom line is the Wrangler JL is a hit and attracting a lot of first time or long absent buyers, like me.
They’re not made in the same plant. The JL is in the retooled Toledo North plant that made the Cherokee before and the JK was made in the Toledo Supplier Park (also known as Toledo South), which is being retooled for the JT. They have a certain timetable they needed to adhere to in order to be able to launch the truck in 2019 so continuing to run JK wasn’t an option.
Sponsored

TrassaE95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan
It would be interesting to compare...

...In other words, is the JL more popular or less popular than the JK. Of course factoring in availability, etc.

I wonder if they share that level of detail.
It would be more interesting to me to see how many JKs were sold in 2007. I know the data is old, but comparing would be fun.

They’re not made in the same plant. The JL is in the retooled Toledo North plant that made the Cherokee before and the JK was made in the Toledo Supplier Park (also known as Toledo South), which is being retooled for the JT. They have a certain timetable they needed to adhere to in order to be able to launch the truck in 2019 so continuing to run JK wasn’t an option.
I thought the JK line was going to be the 2 door JL line, and at some point, once they catch up to demand, would be switched to the JT? I could be wrong on this, but I thought I had read that somewhere.

I think my Jeep needs to get here soon. If it were here, I’d probably spend less time on the forum speculating and more time out in the thing to actually gain something more interesting to share.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I thought the JK line was going to be the 2 door JL line, and at some point, once they catch up to demand, would be switched to the JT? I could be wrong on this, but I thought I had read that somewhere.
That 2-door thing was just speculation and completely wrong. They are building the 2-door on the same line as the JL 4-door.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
All of the JKs and the JLs are moving/selling just fine with no slow down. Why would FCA cut the price on the JKs if they are still moving? Supply and demand...that's keeping the prices up.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
All of the JKs and the JLs are moving/selling just fine with no slow down. Why would FCA cut the price on the JKs if they are still moving? Supply and demand...that's keeping the prices up.
Exactly

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly don't think these sales figures say much at all, we are seeing the outgoing JK and incoming JL all lumped into one category. There are any number of reasons the sales figures are so high and we are all only guessing. If you really want to see how the new Jeep Wrangler is accepted wait until March and April of next year, that will tell the tail!
Says to me that Jeep is doing much better in sales than any other FCA brand. I can also tell you that at least at the dealer I bought my Jeep from, the JLs generally have a faster turn around time than the JKs but that is just one dealer that I pay attention to.

The numbers will probably drop off once the JKs are all sold but I still expect the JL to keep up similar or higher sales than the JK, if the 2 door ever reaches production. I've had people that would never consider a wrangler get very interested when they see mine, so the JL is drawing in a lot of interest from people that would otherwise buy something else.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I'm just one person...and normally my rule is to never purchase a first year model...like what the JL is...because I don't feel all the bugs and kinks have been worked out yet, I've never owned a Wrangler before but I specifically waited for the JL to come out. I had zero interest in purchasing a JK. You have to wonder how many other customers like me are out there that are helping drive those sales numbers.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just one person...and normally my rule is to never purchase a first year model...like what the JL is...because I don't feel all the bugs and kinks have been worked out yet, I've never owned a Wrangler before but I specifically waited for the JL to come out. I had zero interest in purchasing a JK. You have to wonder how many other customers like me are out there that are helping drive those sales numbers.
I'm one of them, also I haven't had any major issues with mine at all.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
That's pretty impressive... although it's also a sign of our times since the Rav4 overtook the Camry as their top selling vehicle.

I'm glad I went with Punk'n. I have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of JL's on the road this summer!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
That's pretty impressive... although it's also a sign of our times since the Rav4 overtook the Camry as their top selling vehicle.

I'm glad I went with Punk'n. I have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of JL's on the road this summer!
They've been ramping up. At this point I'm seeing a new JL almost every day.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car

I ordered punkn too, you'll have to change your color now. I want to be the only one!

:)
Sponsored