Sponsored

New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo Engine (Hurricane) FIRST spy photos!

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
New engine, new drive train and such is what I had expected. But I am disappointed at Jeeps crummy lights and lack of a steel bumpers. I feel that LED lighting inside and out should be standard and at least a steel bumper as an option on all models.

The plastic bumpers on the Wranglers are worthless.
There's gonna be a lot more of the plastic bumper on the JL it looks like. Any advantages for steel bumpers besides being tougher? Plastic ones are easier and cheaper to replace, save weight and won't rust.
Sponsored

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
That's what i have heard that the 4 banger will be the base engine which kind of sucks for most of us who will be going with the V6. Hopefully the V6 option won't be too pricey.
This is the same high performance 2.0T that will power the Alfa Giulia (not Quadrifoglio model). Doesn't seem like a budget base kinda engine to me if they're using it in the Giulia. My guess is the V6 will be the base engine and the 2.0T the 'upgraded' engine.

Macman1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Call of Duty Black Ops
Well, one of the very first modifications that many Jeepers make either to a new Wrangler or one that they have purchased used is to replace the plastic bumper. Apparently the plastic bumpers are used to save weight. My 2011 Call of Duty Rubicon weighs in at 5,700 pounds. I plan replacing the plastic bumpers on my Jeep this year with the 10th Anniversary Rubicon bumpers and mount a 20" LED light bar.
And I suppose that the aftermarket suppliers will keep pace with their own custom steel bumpers for the JL as they have done with all models of the Wrangler. As far as being easier and cheaper to replace, most Mopar and aftermarket steel bumpers are an easy bolt on replacement, taking a short amount of time to make the swap.
As far as being cheaper goes, many new steel bumpers for the Wrangler are inexpensive. These plastic bumpers that are standard are little better than having a bunch of milk jugs tied front and back.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
New engine, new drive train and such is what I had expected. But I am disappointed at Jeeps crummy lights and lack of a steel bumpers. I feel that LED lighting inside and out should be standard and at least a steel bumper as an option on all models.

The plastic bumpers on the Wranglers are worthless.
Judging the spy pics it seems it will finally get full LED front and rear. Hopefully the interior gets it too.

Agree with you about the OEM bumpers but I can't see myself not replacing this even if the JL comes with steel bumpers. There's always going to be much better aftermarket options that I cant see myself going with.

Macman1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now soon after I got my Call of Duty Rubicon, I began to swap out every bulb and lighting fixture with LEDs. Headlights, tail lights, fender, and turn signals as well as the interior lighting. For me it's all about seeing and being seen, safety.

For many people, myself included, owning a Jeep embodies rugged dependably and this extends to the lighting. I do believe that aftermarket vendors will fill the gap in many ways.

For example, there will be a variety of aftermarket bumpers and lighting options of different price levels, extending the customization options available to JL owners.

Sponsored

Moparrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Cherokee
Not a fan of this decision, though good they will still offer V6. Turbo might have more power and torque than the V6 and usually more power is good, but not for the Wrangler. For off-road use, turbos aren't ideal. Their power comes on suddenly compared to the linear power delivery of a V6. Ok for your average driving but definitely not great for rock crawling.

And... turbos generate tons of heat. Imagine all that heat building up in a short/low hood which may get submerged in water. I hope the engineers considered and accounted for all this. Definitely sounds like this engine is being offered for emissions or EPA reasons.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
It'll be interesting to see how well the 2017 Ford Raptor does with its small displacement high performance Ecoboost turbo engine. If it performs well and reliably in the Raptor then that might bode well for the Hurricane engine in the 2018 Wrangler.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
That's A LOT of plumbing... could this be the diesel engine instead?
Doesn't look the same as the current 2.8L VM Motori diesel engine in the European Wranglers.

wrangler-diesel-engine.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo Engine (Hurricane) FIRST spy photos! {filename}

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Not a fan of this decision, though good they will still offer V6. Turbo might have more power and torque than the V6 and usually more power is good, but not for the Wrangler. For off-road use, turbos aren't ideal. Their power comes on suddenly compared to the linear power delivery of a V6. Ok for your average driving but definitely not great for rock crawling.

And... turbos generate tons of heat. Imagine all that heat building up in a short/low hood which may get submerged in water. I hope the engineers considered and accounted for all this. Definitely sounds like this engine is being offered for emissions or EPA reasons.
The latest and greatest turbos are much more responsive, even giving good low end torque. But a turbo engine in a Wrangler has even more stringent requirements than a "regular" road car that never sees a track or off road. It's gotta be able to deal with tough conditions that a regular on-road car doesn't have to. But just because it's a turbo doesn't mean it can't. The military uses turbo diesel engines in their vehicles so it can be done. I just hope that FCA engineers have done the proper testing and development of the Hurricane engine specifically for adverse conditions use in the JL Wrangler.

Sponsored

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger

Once the full hybrid model comes out (due in 2020), the lack of power down low will be solved. The electric motor will give instant torque and fill in the RPM range before the turbo spools up.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I don't get the love for the Pentastar. It makes inadequate power down low and its torque is weak. It's better up top but that isn't what the Wrangler needs. The Hurricane turbo 4 should kill the Pentastar in the torque department (unless they majorly revise the V6 for the 2018 Wrangler).

For those guys worried about turbo lag, have you driven the latest and greatest turbo 4 cylinder engines? They barely have any lag.

And if the diesel turbo comes, forget it. The torque will be ridiculous! My prediction is after most guys get a taste of how good the Hurricane and diesel turbo are in the JL Wrangler, the Pentastar will be redheaded stepchild engine.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I don't get the love for the Pentastar. It makes inadequate power down low and its torque is weak. It's better up top but that isn't what the Wrangler needs. The Hurricane turbo 4 should kill the Pentastar in the torque department (unless they majorly revise the V6 for the 2018 Wrangler).

For those guys worried about turbo lag, have you driven the latest and greatest turbo 4 cylinder engines? They barely have any lag.

And if the diesel turbo comes, forget it. The torque will be ridiculous! My prediction is after most guys get a taste of how good the Hurricane and diesel turbo are in the JL Wrangler, the Pentastar will be redheaded stepchild engine.
You're right if you're comparing to the current Pentastar, but it's likely to be upgraded for more power for the 2018 Wrangler, so the hp/tq differential may not be as big as you think.

Macman1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, wish that they would go to an updated version of the old 4.0 L for gas and a robust, simple Diesel option too.
The whole Jeep lineup needs to be more robust, requiring just a few tools to service by the average mech.

And oh yes.....option of two styles of steel bumpers. Those plastic stock bumpers are junk.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Yeah, wish that they would go to an updated version of the old 4.0 L for gas and a robust, simple Diesel option too.
The whole Jeep lineup needs to be more robust, requiring just a few tools to service by the average mech.

And oh yes.....option of two styles of steel bumpers. Those plastic stock bumpers are junk.
I'd say our JK's are already very easily self serviceable and DIY-able compared to almost any car out there. Something I hope they keep in mind with the Wrangler JL. Please keep it simple and accessible by most people in terms of pricing, usability, versatility, and serviceability.
Sponsored