Sponsored

Thunderbob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Update 01/15/22

The Jeep is still at the dealership. FCA insists on repairing it. Hopefully at this point nothing happens before the Lemon Law kicks in. Thanks for all of your advice and comments.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ugh that sucks. Sorry to hear. Check the Lemon Laws for your state to see what the terms are for vehicle replacement. You could possibly Lemon it if you didn't want that specific Jeep/392 back due to the failure. I wouldn't be as worried on the Wrangler replacing an engine and keeping it vs something more complicated (BMW/Audi/Etc).

Best wishes in getting it fixed/replaced.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Thunderbob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392
What's the issue with engine replacement?
I'm not concerned about the new engine. It's all of the teardown and reassembly that bothers me. Everything will have to come out of the engine compartment to get that 6.4 out. I wouldn't be as concerned if I could choose my own mechanic.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about this.

An engine swap in a Jeep is a pretty straightforward thing. I'd be more concerned if they were going to open it up and attempt a repair, which they never do these days.

I had a Ford Ecoboost replaced by the dealer in a 2015 Transit van. No that's one that is complicated! It took them several days but they did it and there was never an issue. The original had 80k on it and we put about 80k on the new one before trading it in a few weeks ago on a JLUR.

They do frequent engine swaps on a variety of vehicles that are tighter fit and more complicated. The shop manuals are very good, too, and easy for a technician to follow, step by step.

But I get how you feel about it. Maybe with so few miles they'll order you a new one. But if they do that, they might not provide a loaner while you wait.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh that sucks. Sorry to hear. Check the Lemon Laws for your state to see what the terms are for vehicle replacement. You could possibly Lemon it if you didn't want that specific Jeep/392 back due to the failure. I wouldn't be as worried on the Wrangler replacing an engine and keeping it vs something more complicated (BMW/Audi/Etc).

Best wishes in getting it fixed/replaced.
Worth a check, but usually lemon laws cover multiple failures in a short period of time, not just one.

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
I'm not concerned about the new engine. It's all of the teardown and reassembly that bothers me. Everything will have to come out of the engine compartment to get that 6.4 out. I wouldn't be as concerned if I could choose my own mechanic.
That’s when I’d say fine, replace the motor but I want a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty on it. If they are confident in the swap and the dealership, I see no reason they shouldn’t give you an extended warranty on it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s when I’d say fine, replace the motor but I want a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty on it. If they are confident in the swap and the dealership, I see no reason they shouldn’t give you an extended warranty on it.
Good Idea! Ask them to throw in whatever extended Jeep factory backed warranty they offer. I'm not sure what that is nowadays, but it'd be easy for them to do. Just be sure it is a Jeep warranty and not an aftermarket vendor. I've heard too many horror stories from those. But I've had nothing but great experience with a lifetime warranty Jeep provided on my 2008 JK.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I'm somewhat surprised the dealer isn't trying to blame the OP for the failure.

"You installed your garage door opener on the visor, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU? Can you prove that didn't cause the failure??"
They're going to try and get him for the non-factory driver mod.
Sponsored