First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This is a wonderful series of posts.
I'm interested in learning more.

I believe Select Trac is essential in our next Jeep.

Unless it's a Rubicon, and then it will be Rock-Trac.

Are there reliability issues with either transfer case?

DaveL
The 2021 Rubicon‘s are available with the Rock-trac that has an Auto 4wd feature just like the the Select-trac but with 4:1 low range.
T-case positions are:
-2 WD high
-4 High Auto
-4 High part time
-Neutral
-4 low 4:1
I have one and they’re the best of both worlds in my opinion
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks Vinman! That helps a lot.

DaveL

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is a wonderful series of posts.
I'm interested in learning more.

I believe Select Trac is essential in our next Jeep.

Unless it's a Rubicon, and then it will be Rock-Trac.

Are there reliability issues with either transfer case?

DaveL
I have the Selec-Trac on my Sahara: the combination of full-time 4WD and LSD makes it unbeatable in the snow.

Both full-time 4WD systems, Selec-Trac and the one used on Rubicon, use a clutch pack in the center to allow the front an rear axles to turn at different speeds on hard surfaces.

Make sure to engage out of full-time and into part-time as soon as you hit the trailhead or the snow gets deep; the clutch pack will overheat otherwise. Don't ask how I know...

Once in part-time, they work just like any other Jeep transfer case: locking the front and rear axles at the center.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I have the Selec-Trac on my Sahara: the combination of full-time 4WD and LSD makes it unbeatable in the snow.

Both full-time 4WD systems, Selec-Trac and the one used on Rubicon, use a clutch pack in the center to allow the front an rear axles to turn at different speeds on hard surfaces.

Make sure to engage out of full-time and into part-time as soon as you hit the trailhead or the snow gets deep; the clutch pack will overheat otherwise. Don't ask how I know...

Once in part-time, they work just like any other Jeep transfer case: locking the front and rear axles at the center.
Interesting. I have selec-trac and didnt think to do that. Is that only for really intense trails?

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible

I have the Selec-Trac and the limited slip diff. on my Sahara as well, and love how it gets all the power of the turbo down without breaking traction!

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I have selec-trac and didnt think to do that. Is that only for really intense trails?
Not really. In full-time mode you risk overheating the clutch pack even on a logging road covered in rain, mud or snow.

I’d engage into part-time as soon as you hit the dirt, even on a dry logging road.

waypoint

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited; 2017 Sport-S Unlimited
I got to try out the Selec-Trac in our '21 Sahara yesterday after a 3" snow fall, driving the unplowed fairly steep hills in our neighborhood and the county road.

It's completely transparent in the transitions from rear to all-wheel drive in 4H-Auto mode, just point it up the hill and apply throttle. I was able to deliberately overaccelerate and break the tires loose and see VSC engage via the flashing dash light, and it was effective in keeping the Jeep straight.

The Jeep is my wife's daily driver and I had clicked it into 4H-Auto mode back in December as a precaution. Glad we optioned this into the build along with the LSD rear diff.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got to try out the Selec-Trac in our '21 Sahara yesterday after a 3" snow fall, driving the unplowed fairly steep hills in our neighborhood and the county road.

It's completely transparent in the transitions from rear to all-wheel drive in 4H-Auto mode, just point it up the hill and apply throttle. I was able to deliberately overaccelerate and break the tires loose and see VSC engage via the flashing dash light, and it was effective in keeping the Jeep straight.

The Jeep is my wife's daily driver and I had clicked it into 4H-Auto mode back in December as a precaution. Glad we optioned this into the build along with the LSD rear diff.
Yeah, I got a Sahara with Selec-Trac and rear LSD as well.

Of nine Wranglers I’ve owned, this is by far the best in the snow.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver

Another Jersey guy here. Very glad I have the Selec-Trac. Very reassuring having 4H Auto engaged in the inclement weather we get here in the Northeast.

I will say anecdotally, as I was recently in the market for a preowned Sahara. I must have looked at about 150 window stickers for Saharas in NJ and surrounding states. I would say that only about 10-15 of those had Selec-Trac and LSD. That to me means two things. Dealers are not ordering enough Wranglers with Selec-Trac, and are not advising customers placing custom orders about the virtues of Selec-Trac. Kind of odd considering the benefits of Selec-Trac in any state that gets snow, ice, etc. Just my .02 cents.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Another Jersey guy here. Very glad I have the Selec-Trac. Very reassuring having 4H Auto engaged in the inclement weather we get here in the Northeast.

I will say anecdotally, as I was recently in the market for a preowned Sahara. I must have looked at about 150 window stickers for Saharas in NJ and surrounding states. I would say that only about 10-15 of those had Selec-Trac and LSD. That to me means two things. Dealers are not ordering enough Wranglers with Selec-Trac, and are not advising customers placing custom orders about the virtues of Selec-Trac. Kind of odd considering the benefits of Selec-Trac in any state that gets snow, ice, etc. Just my .02 cents.
FCA is not very good at marketing. It completely botched the introduction of 2018-19 JL Moab, Selec-Trac, eTorque technology, and a few other things.

Basically, they produce something, plaster it on its website, and then leave it up to dealers and shoppers to figure out what it is, what it does, and what benefits it’s supposed to deliver.

Sponsored

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA is not very good at marketing. It completely botched the introduction of 2018-19 JL Moab, Selec-Trac, eTorque technology, and a few other things.

Basically, they produce something, plaster it on its website, and then leave it up to dealers and shoppers to figure out what it is, what it does, and what benefits it’s supposed to deliver.
You've got an auto-AWD system available at minimal charge, on a Jeep Wrangler, which already has good bones and tools for driving in inclement weather (to say nothing of its image with off-roading, driving in snow, etc.). For this to not be the standard offering on Wranglers in the northern part of the country is mind-boggling. If not for this forum, I wouldn't have really made much notice of it.

Audi dealers have AWD models on their lots in my area. BMW dealers. Toyota dealers. That is what customers want and expect around me. Seems like a missed opportunity by Jeep, because switching between 2H and 4H in changing road conditions (even within a single drive) is not the same as putting it into 4H Auto and letting the Wrangler optimize for the conditions. YMMV.

Reactions: AFD

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You've got an auto-AWD system available at minimal charge, on a Jeep Wrangler, which already has good bones and tools for driving in inclement weather (to say nothing of its image with off-roading, driving in snow, etc.). For this to not be the standard offering on Wranglers in the northern part of the country is mind-boggling. If not for this forum, I wouldn't have really made much notice of it.

Audi dealers have AWD models on their lots in my area. BMW dealers. Toyota dealers. That is what customers want and expect around me. Seems like a missed opportunity by Jeep, because switching between 2H and 4H in changing road conditions (even within a single drive) is not the same as putting it into 4H Auto and letting the Wrangler optimize for the conditions. YMMV.
I wouldn’t refer to Selec-Trac as AWD, though. While many car buyers don’t have a problem with AWD, it is a turnoff for many Wrangler owners.

Instead, I’d refer to it as a 4WD system with full-time capability. Which is precisely what it is.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t refer to Selec-Trac as AWD, though. While many car buyers don’t have a problem with AWD, it is a turnoff for many Wrangler owners.

Instead, I’d refer to it as a 4WD system with full-time capability. Which is precisely what it is.
Agreed. I meant to say that I was calling it AWD for simplicity's sake... :)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yeah, I got a Sahara with Selec-Trac and rear LSD as well.

Of nine Wranglers I’ve owned, this is by far the best in the snow.
I am new to this. This time around I ordered the Rubicon version of Select-Trac, Rock-Trac I think? Ordered it without as much research as I should have done. I did not get my JLR yet so did not look at any user or owners manuals yet. Hopefully I get it next week. Can you just set it and forget it in 4-High Auto? Is there any risk of overheating any clutch packs?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am new to this. This time around I ordered the Rubicon version of Select-Trac, Rock-Trac I think? Ordered it without as much research as I should have done. I did not get my JLR yet so did not look at any user or owners manuals yet. Hopefully I get it next week. Can you just set it and forget it in 4-High Auto? Is there any risk of overheating any clutch packs?
Yes and yes. The center clutch pack works fine on-road but it can overheat off-road.

I just made it a habit to engage into part-time as soon as air down. Haven’t had any issues since.
Sponsored