Sponsored

Warranty Restriction on 2020 Rubi

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Congrats to the OP. Great resolution to upgrade to a 2022.
Sponsored

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
FCA are a bunch of dicks where it comes to warranty. Have low expectations of them and you want be disappointed

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
That's complete crap imo. Now if the owner did mess with the suspension, he technically voided warranty for the suspension components he touched. If your steering issue comes to be a faulty suspension component that needs replace, well....

If the issue is related to the aluminum steering box, then suspension work doesnt have anything to do with that and you should get it replaced under warranty.

Having a lift kit doesnt ruin your warranty. It just affects those components. See, I messed with my suspension, I installed a Rubicon suspension on my Sport. And dealer made it clear, if something happens to your shocks, or coils, it is on you. But that's about it. I messed with my front differential and installed a locker, my front differential warranty is voided.

Dont worry much about it, and know your rights. The suspension warranty isn't that important. I've had warranty work done in my jeep since all my mods. Dealers don't care, unless it has to do with the suspension itself.

Now do look into the paperwork. If this previous work was not disclosed to you, then I feel they shouldn't void your suspension warranty.

What if the owner installed the Mopar lift?

That would not void a warrantee would it?

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

I think it would have to be installed by the dealer, but I have no idea to be honest.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Installing a lift kit on your Jeep, being Mopar, Teraflex, Metalcloak, X, does not void the warranty on your Jeep. But it voids the warranty on the replaced suspension components. Why would Jeep replace a faulty metalcloak shock? see what I mean? You'd have to go through metalcloak, theyll send you a new shock, and you have to install it yourself.

If the dealer installs a mopar lift on your jeep, and a fox shock fails prematurely and happens to be a warranty issue, the dealer should replace your shock under warranty is my understanding.

If you have an issue related to the lift kit, such as the steering going nuts, or you don't like how the jeep feels or wtver. it is on you and Stellantis would blame it on the lift. Even if it is the mopar lift.

Lift kits are pretty simple. Shocks, coils, and sometimes other suspension/steering components. Anything related to that changes after the lift it is usually on you. Unless you had it installed by a shop/dealer and they installed something wrong.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Installing a lift kit on your Jeep, being Mopar, Teraflex, Metalcloak, X, does not void the warranty on your Jeep. But it voids the warranty on the replaced suspension components. Why would Jeep replace a faulty metalcloak shock? see what I mean? You'd have to go through metalcloak, theyll send you a new shock, and you have to install it yourself.

If the dealer installs a mopar lift on your jeep, and a fox shock fails prematurely and happens to be a warranty issue, the dealer should replace your shock under warranty is my understanding.

If you have an issue related to the lift kit, such as the steering going nuts, or you don't like how the jeep feels or wtver. it is on you and Stellantis would blame it on the lift. Even if it is the mopar lift.

Lift kits are pretty simple. Shocks, coils, and sometimes other suspension/steering components. Anything related to that changes after the lift it is usually on you. Unless you had it installed by a shop/dealer and they installed something wrong.
My dealer won’t cover ANYTHING drivetrain related because I have larger tires. They default to blaming the tires for everything. Ball joints toast @6k miles, my fault. Wheel bearing went bad @10k miles, my fault. I’m surprised they didn’t blame wheel speed sensors on me.
Not all of us have the time/money/patience to take things to court and/or Stellantis to get them resolved the way they are supposed to. The same owner has all the CJDR dealers in my region, I’d spend more in gas than I’d get corrected by a better dealer because I’d have to drive a ways.

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
My dealer won’t cover ANYTHING drivetrain related because I have larger tires. They default to blaming the tires for everything. Ball joints toast @6k miles, my fault. Wheel bearing went bad @10k miles, my fault. I’m surprised they didn’t blame wheel speed sensors on me.
Not all of us have the time/money/patience to take things to court and/or Stellantis to get them resolved the way they are supposed to. The same owner has all the CJDR dealers in my region, I’d spend more in gas than I’d get corrected by a better dealer because I’d have to drive a ways.

Curious was it the lower ball joints?

There was a TSB sent out because the JL's were coming off the line with the lower ball joints only torqued to 15 lbs.

I know this as I noticed a clicking .. and took it back to the dealer and the clicking was being caused by the lower ball joints being incorrectly installed.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update: The dealer told me today they are going to auction the Jeep off because FCA is unlikely to lift the warranty restriction even if they were to recertify it...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Aren’t you on like 39” tires? They are correct. That’s the most likely cause of the failures. Your wounds are self inflicted.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Aren’t you on like 39” tires? They are correct. That’s the most likely cause of the failures. Your wounds are self inflicted.
Those tires didn’t go on until 7.5k, so it was pre existing. But once they went on the dealer used it as an excuse because I didn’t push hard enough for them to fix it prior to. They “couldn’t replicate the issue” when I was on stock tires and it took me a while to confirm it by re-torquing everything else on the suspension.
Rebuildables are going in soon, once I get my rear diff fixed.
Edit: I got off topic. My point was that be prepared for issues you don't feel or anticipate are due to your mods becoming a contention point. Maybe a different dealer will do it, or your choice becomes sinking time into the issue to get Jeep/Dealer to fix the issue.
My research prior to making my lift/tire/wheel choices made me believe I'd see twisted axle shafts, bent axle tubes, or broken ring/pinions if my tires were too much for my drivetrain. Balljoints I expected 30k-40k out of. People with 37's were saying they had issues around the 40k mark. I was prepared for those things. The other "lesson" is that if you don't shake out all the issue of the jeep before modifying it, it can become a bit like a used car in that you're on the hook for the small stuff. Unless you're good at navigating dealerships and Jeep Cares, if you've got the time you will come out better than most. I made this mistake, I got used to having a warrantied vehicle that was easy to make the dealer's problem. My Jeep is not like that.

Last edited:

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Just fyi - a dealership cannot void a warranty, only the manufacturer can & by law they cannot void the entire vehicle’s warranty due to aftermarket part(s) installed. The burden is on the manufacturer, not the owner, to prove the installed aftermarket part is the cause of whatever failed. IF they can prove that the aftermarket part caused said failure, THEN only that part is not covered under warranty. This is a federal law, it’s not up to the dealership service department.

Also - don’t waste time & money with lawyers if you’re getting the run around. Contact your state’s Attorney General’s Office - consumer protection division.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A good result for you. But now some poor bastard will just inherit this problem down the line.
My understanding is that it is being sold As Is, Where Is at the auction. The Jeep ran amazing, the only non-covered issue we had was a "clunking" noise in the suspension. However, I did not want to keep a Jeep with no warranty on it...

kaptkaos

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
I just learned the Restricted the Warranty on my 2021 Jeep. Had a bad time at the dealer, and on the phone with Jeep Customer Service. Nobody could provide answers, details, who, how and when. I bought this from my neighbor who I have known for 20 years. Vehicle was never crashed or modified. I wrote @JeepCares as a last result to see if they can help me find answers. I cant believe what this industry has become. This and the insurance industry.

This is why Tesla is selling more cars than anyone right now.
Sponsored