Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Was thinking an eTorque/electric-supercharged Pentastar made the most sense, but whatever it takes to get a ~400HP/TQ ICE Wrangler, especially in the 2-door that's otherwise lacking in engine options.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As the article suggests, it'll be interesting to observe how (or even if) attempts are made to shoehorn the I6 into the Wrangler's engine bay.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Phasing out ICE by 2030,2035, EVs with torque and range, why invest in something with a limited shelf life,?
Larger displacement engines are taxed more, use more fuel, so how will the company recoup its Investment ?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Phasing out ICE by 2030,2035, EVs with torque and range, why invest in something with a limited shelf life,?
Larger displacement engines are taxed more, use more fuel, so how will the company recoup its Investment ?
Another 10 to 15 years is plenty of time to sell a new engine option and who honestly knows how long it will actually take to build out an electric charging infrastructure every where across rural America?

Not sure how many Jeep faithfuls around here cross-shop other brands, but both the new Bronco and new Defender already have engine options in the 400HP/TQ range (boosted 6 and supercharged 6-cylinder, iirc) and both are actually available in their 2-door trims. Just makes good business sense to better compete with your closest competitors.

I personally have nothing against electric vehicles, but as long as there's still gas pumps everywhere, it's in my best interest to buy ICE (or hybrid) for the immediate future.

Sponsored

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
There was an article a week back stating the new 6 is small and the size of a regular 4 cylinder. If this is true then why would it not move into the Wrangler in 2023?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Another 10 to 15 years is plenty of time to sell a new engine option and who honestly knows how long it will actually take to build out an electric charging infrastructure every where across rural America?

Not sure how many Jeep faithfuls around here cross-shop other brands, but both the new Bronco and new Defender already have engine options in the 400HP/TQ range (boosted 6 and supercharged 6-cylinder, iirc) and both are actually available in their 2-door trims. Just makes good business sense to better compete with your closest competitors.

I personally have nothing against electric vehicles, but as long as there's still gas pumps everywhere, it's in my best interest to buy ICE (or hybrid) for the immediate future.
I agree there's absolutely going to be another motor in the next handful of years and I hope everything doesn't automatically go the way of the 4-cylinder. This is just my opinion but I don't like what the 2.0 does to the sound and feel of the vehicle when the 3.6 is borderline muscular by comparison, especially with its pops and crackles upon manual upshifts on the 8speed. A straight six would be incredible for these rigs if it'd fit.

On the 2 door situation - I sincerely hope Jeep has plans for the 2 door beyond "keep making the existing configurations". The Bronco probably affords its additional drivetrain flexibility by the fact that it's 10 inches longer than the 2 door Wrangler, putting it in LJ wheelbase ballpark in between the 2dr and 4dr JL. This gives them a bit more of everything - space for drivetrains as well as space for rear legroom and cargo areas, but even still they're only fitting a 16.9 gallon fuel tank to them.

I would absolutely love to see a 2 door Wrangler that's 8-10 inches longer in wheelbase (the JLU is 22 inches longer than JL), enabling bigger fuel tank, less comical storage space with the backseats in, and by association of the larger tank, 4XE and 392 esque drivetrains happening again.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Was thinking an eTorque/electric-supercharged Pentastar made the most sense, but whatever it takes to get a ~400HP/TQ ICE Wrangler, especially in the 2-door that's otherwise lacking in engine options.
Not available in the 2 door, but the diesel has that power. Well, not the HP, but more than that for TQ. And, frankly, you don't need HP unless you are going to high speed. TQ is what gets you moving. HP keeps you moving faster.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Electric vehicles are still a pipe dream backed by government subsidies.
I know, Agenda 2030 wants everything to go away in favor of 'sustainable' energy, but it's not going to happen.

I'd say Tesla has it pretty much figured out. Cars that are priced like competing ICE luxury vehicles with 300-500 mile range that can regain 200 miles in 15 minutes at any one of the 1200 superchargers peppered around the country, or nearly a full charge in ~40 minutes from the same stations.

In terms of what mass adoption of this does to the grid I'm not sure we're there yet if the goal is sustainability, but if you drive a Tesla for a week it's scary good. I'm gonna be driving entertaining ICE engines for as long as I can, tho. The 3.6/8AT is a simple combination but it's so satisfying to drive.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I agree there's absolutely going to be another motor in the next handful of years and I hope everything doesn't automatically go the way of the 4-cylinder. This is just my opinion but I don't like what the 2.0 does to the sound and feel of the vehicle when the 3.6 is borderline muscular by comparison, especially with its pops and crackles upon manual upshifts on the 8speed. A straight six would be incredible for these rigs if it'd fit.
Imo, most 6-cylinder engines sound kinda poopy as far as exhaust note goes. The 2.0 Wrangler actually doesn't sound too bad with an aftermarket exhaust, but it's still not the proper tone I'd want from a truck/SUV. The ETS system on my Evo sounds pretty damn good for a 4-cylinder car and the twin-turbo 6-cylinder GT-R sounds downright sinister. Really not sure if it's just displacement, compression ratio or a pig-rich tune that helps make a great tone, but the Pentastar is sorely lacking in that department (again, just my opinion). I'm glad the 2.0 exists as an option for those that want it, but I'd also prefer they keep the 6 and 8-cylinder options for the Wrangler (or better yet, just add the 392 as an option for the 2-door).

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I would absolutely love to see a 2 door Wrangler that's 8-10 inches longer in wheelbase, enabling bigger fuel tank, less comical storage space with the backseats in,...
We had exactly that (a 10" longer wheelbase) with the 2004-2006 Wrangler LJ, aka the original Unlimited. Had that platform sold in better numbers, it might still be with us. Four doors won the day, though.

I wouldn't want the next generation 2 door Wrangler to grow in any dimension. The current JL already appears bloated when compared to the TJ-era Wrangler, which still looks correct to this day.

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
As a relatively old, young at heart, individual I'd like to remind people who think that the internal combustion engine is going to go the way of the dodo anytime soon...people thought we would have flying cars now, be in another ice age, and be a paperless society by now.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
people thought we would have flying cars now, be in another ice age, and be a paperless society by now.
True enough, but did any of those ideas have the collective will of bureaucracy, in the form of regulations, tax subsides, etc. compelling them to move forward, freely or under threat of sanction?

Flying cars and the like were just that: people's thoughts. The potential for the internal combustion engine to be forced into obsolescence is considerably more concrete. Sober. Possible.
Sponsored