Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Oh no its never too 'harsh' you would have to define harsh
LOL ... true. It's all perspective, right?
If you look at it in terms of MPG four-seven-ohs are a pretty harsh set of gears for a 33" or 35" tire, assuming transmission and transfer case gearing akin to Jeep. Engine RPM would be unusually high to be consistent with acceptable fuel consumption.
However, Ford could have a V-6 that is more fuel efficient at a higher RPM. They could have a higher transmission gear set. They could have an overdrive transfer case that is like 0.75:1 in high range, and 3:1 or 4:1 in low range. If so, four-seven-ohs would make sense.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
mpg have NOTHING to do with off road performance.. just stop that with I get so tired of this

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
You've got to be kidding !!! ... that doesn't even make sense if you're running like a 285/17 tire. Even a bit harsh for a 35" tire. Must have some awfully high gears in the transmission, and no more than a 3:1 transfer case.
This is the crawl gear with the 94.75:1 with 3.06:1 ratio. The crawl ratio in first gear is 61.6:1.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I read it as both the IIRC and JLUR both have better articulation than the Bronco. haha

This video shows a very good demonstration of both flexing. The JL does do a better job but its less than most would think.
That doesn't exactly show a good comparison. The Jeep wasn't lifting a tire. They only stopped because they were rubbing. And that is because of wheel offset more than anything else. Although they could have used some extended bump stops and it still would have forced the rest of the suspension to droop more.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

They got more wheel travel out of the Bronco than I expected with the stock arms. But they definitely achieved the result I was expecting, broken R+P. Along with loads of broken steering linkages before this vid. I still believe that it is ridiculous to try to run anything larger than a 35 on IFS unless it is a fully built race car. The costs far outweigh any benefits. My JLUR is only running a modified 2" spacer lift, and I run 38s with trimming and some slight rubbing. Still drives like a dream on the road. And I haven't broken anything yet. All in I have only spent about 2k and that is including the beadlocks and tires. I dare any Broncos to build a more capable rig than mine for even a few thousand more.

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

They got more wheel travel out of the Bronco than I expected with the stock arms. But they definitely achieved the result I was expecting, broken R+P. Along with loads of broken steering linkages before this vid. I still believe that it is ridiculous to try to run anything larger than a 35 on IFS unless it is a fully built race car. The costs far outweigh any benefits. My JLUR is only running a modified 2" spacer lift, and I run 38s with trimming and some slight rubbing. Still drives like a dream on the road. And I haven't broken anything yet. All in I have only spent about 2k and that is including the beadlocks and tires. I dare any Broncos to build a more capable rig than mine for even a few thousand more.
37 mud terrains themselves are $400 plus each. With tax thatā€™s $2k without the wheels.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
37 mud terrains themselves are $400 plus each. With tax thatā€™s $2k without the wheels.
Well since I'm a thrifty damn bastard, I searched for deals. I scored some used wheels and tires for 1500. I figure that it's still a valid challenge since the Sasquatch comes with beadlock capable wheels. Besides, I'm giving you a few thousand more than I spent. Are you telling me that you can't compete with a budget boost on a solid axle for less than 4k?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
That is a very good point. I've had many vehicles with both solid and independent front ends and you are absolutely right, the solid axle is remarkably cheaper to lift.

As for articulation (the original post here), I think it is pretty evident to all that the average off-roader is served well by either a Bronco or Wrangler. At this point it isn't "capability" as much as what look and style you prefer in your vehicle. Should make for an interesting market in 3-5 years.
Yeah it does its job for the average offroader. But I guarantee it is gonna leave them wanting for more and watching those wranglers flex through the trails with envy. Similar to the yoda guys. I am sure we are gonna see a huge "overlanding" crowd driving these Broncos, and the occasional off-roader.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well since I'm a thrifty damn bastard, I searched for deals. I scored some used wheels and tires for 1500. I figure that it's still a valid challenge since the Sasquatch comes with beadlock capable wheels. Besides, I'm giving you a few thousand more than I spent. Are you telling me that you can't compete with a budget boost on a solid axle for less than 4k?
Ainā€™t gonna happen brotherā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™ve been saying it from the jump, there is no comparison, itā€™s apples and oranges hereā€¦ā€¦ the only thing Bronco has to boast about is they made Jeep get up off the couch and put down the tv clicker and get back to workā€¦ā€¦. Until Bronco comes out with the SFA theyā€™ll always be 2nd fiddle in the extreme off road scenariosā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.. just some āœŒ cents.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It was painful to watch the video.

the first obstacle isnt even difficult. But it requires a certain level of articulation so it is a bit unfair for the Bronco.

Personally I would not like to be in that Bronco. At some point, the grey one almost got body damage. The grumpy Jeep needs to chill a bit too, or he is gonna get body damage soon if he keeps sending it like that.

This is how the Bronco looked like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep/Bronco Articulation Comparo 7qUW

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Ainā€™t gonna happen brotherā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™ve been saying it from the jump, there is no comparison, itā€™s apples and oranges hereā€¦ā€¦ the only thing Bronco has to boast about is they made Jeep get up off the couch and put down the tv clicker and get back to workā€¦ā€¦. Until Bronco comes out with the SFA theyā€™ll always be 2nd fiddle in the extreme off road scenariosā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.. just some āœŒ cents.
I learned from my mistakes. I modified and wheeled a 2006 WK Grand Cherokee. Expensive to build, expensive to maintain, and I could only fit some 34" Pizza Cutter skinny tires. And it was definitely still not as capable as a stock JK.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Iā€™m hoping the rental companies in Moab pick up a fleet of Broncos so I can go out and confirm my somewhat biased opinions of how it will handle trails like cliffhanger. With the added maintenance and modification cost over a JL it isnā€™t likely, and with the dealer markups and short supply it definitely wonā€™t be any time soon, but a day rental is the only chance you have of me behind the wheel of the wrangler knockoff.

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2013 JK (gone)
I have the Grey JL Wrangler in the video and absolutely love it but:

Apples to Apples if they're similar out the door pricing I'd take a Sasquatch Bronco on 35s vs a JLUR XR on 35s. I know the Bronco will be the inferior rock crawler and I know any upgrade path past 35s is quite limited as you can see in the lite bright video BUT the frameless doors and mirrors on A Pillar get me. Hoping Bestop makes a JL Core Door soon.

I'm not sure how this debate gets people so fired up. The Wrangler and SFA is the better rock crawler and I'm pretty sure the Bronco with IFS is better on road (although my JL is far better than my JK was so maybe its close?). Nonetheless, most Wranglers will never see a rock and Wrangler had a stranglehold on this market for long enough.

Competition is good. Keep the rubber side down. ā˜®
Sponsored