John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
BLUE 392 - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY

Thanks to Ring capturing all of the visits by UPS, FedEx, Amazon, etc, I had to confess to my wife that my new mistress, we will call her "Sully" as in Monsters Inc as named by our kids, is effectively draining all the kids inheritance chasing mods on the 392. Um, sorry, well, not sorry :).

Let's back up a bit. When we all thought that Uncle Joe would free us to enjoy July 4th with our family and we would go back to working in the office that I would need another vehicle, my son took mine when he turned 16 during the first summer of the pandemic. Always a Jeep fan, the wife approved the purchase of the 392 conditioned upon no significant modifications, unlike my prior Jeeps and Toyotas. With the fingers crossed behind my back, I said OK, no mods, but needed a few things to provide insurance while we were out exploring the Rockies here in Colorado.

Thus, a Warn Zeon 10s winch to self recover or assist in recovery of another if needed, and Rock Slide Engineers Sliders/Steps to get in and out while also protecting the body, we are not as flexible as we used to be. No big deal and she approved, all while waiting for Sully to show up.

Parts were ordered well in advance knowing the supply chain issue may cause a problem for us. The winch showed up pretty quick. But the new RSE Gen 3 slider steps took a while to arrive, but they are now on and work fantastic. I also ordered a 10lb PowerTank kit and roll bar mount bracket to provide onboard air after a day on the Colorado/Utah trails.

After waiting 5 months from 392 order to my garage, Sully showed up.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1430.JPG

And it had the coveted bronze JL 392 tag on the tailgate:
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1431.JPG

We both quickly agreed that the 33" tires looked a little silly, 35s might look ok, but the 37" KO2s were in the sweet spot...approval granted and quickly upgraded the tires as well. Of course, we all know Jeep is in cahoots with all of the third party providers of accessories and that OEM tire carry could never hold a 37" tire. Off to the interwebs to find a proper tire carrier and hinge reinforcement. Enter TeraFlex HD Hinge Tail Gate and Tire Carrier, no problem.

At Discount Tire getting new shoes...
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1434.JPG

Much prefer how the 37s fill the wheel well...
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1435.JPG

Installed pic of the TeraFlex Alpha HD Tailgate Hinge and Carrier for the larger tires, badass products.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1445

Within the first five days of having Sully home, I installed the Warn Zeon 10s winch and Maximus 3 winch plate, Maximus tow loops, and the Maximus front license plate holder, very pleased with the Maximus products.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1441.JPG

Having had the Outback tailgate table on the JK, we returned to their updated table for the JL and absolutely recommend this table, one of our favorite mods.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1442.JPG

And with the table down
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1443.JPG

We also added the molle panels to hold important accessories
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1447.JPG

Onboard PowerTank attached to the rear pax roll bar.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1451.JPG

Installed the Rugged Ridge entry protectors which should be a standard equipment on any Wrangler...
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1450.JPG

Given the weight of the 392 hood, installed the Redline hood struts, pretty straight forward mod but required use of a cutting wheel on the bracket near the battery to accommodate the strut when the hood is closed.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1452

Pic below of the cut bracket and zinger on the body with the cutting wheel...
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1453.JPG

Maiden trail day on Johnny Park Trail near Estes CO.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1465.JPG

Then there is that little oil drain plug that hangs down like a sore thumb, that needed to be addressed. So, requested permission and permission granted to order skid plates to protect the underbelly of this little beast. MetalCloak undercloak fit the bill. Here is a link to a thread on the skids, https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ates-any-recommendations-and-or-advice.78915/

Next up, comms. Colorado wheelin introduced me to GMRS then Ham Radio. I already had an Yaesu ftm 400 and an Yaesu 891 and decided to install these radios in Sully. Here is my thread on the comms install here.https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/392-mobile-comms-center-now-operational.79485/

I added the Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Rock Sliders, Armor, Lights, and Door Delete Switch and this is probably one of my favorite mods along with the Outback Tailgate table. Highly recommend them.

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1548

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1547

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1545

Door delete switch and the M.O.R.E Dead pedal for an added 5 HP.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1551

I added the Baja Designs SAE fog lights and a couple of orange shackles up front (go Broncos). Not sure I like these shackles hanging off the front but will remove probably at some point. Those familiar with driving in snowing conditions (or fog) understand the benefits of amber lights over whites very well. And this Jeep will be a primary mode of transport to and from the ski hills here in Colorado.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1549

After off roading a few moderate trails in Colorado, I noticed the 37” KO2s rubbing in the rear when flexing. Although the TeraFlex 1.75” wheel spacers solved my issues on road front and rear, I still experienced very lite rubbing in the rear fender well. Only way to fix this is a proper lift or spring spacers. Here is my thread on what lift I chose, the MC 3.5” Game Changer, paired with Fox 2.5 Elite Remote Reservoir DSC Shocks and will install once it arrives. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/392-specific-lift-kits.79657/ After I ordered, I realized I need to replace the front driveshaft to allow for complete MC flex ability. Having installed Adams Drive Shafts on prior builds, I called them up and ordered the 1350s. MC offers 1310s, but why downgrade from the OEM 1330 drive shafts. And with larger wheels, all the weight added with the armor, nothing less than 1350s would suffice. I did consider 1410s but decided to just try 1350s and give em a go.

With all these mods, added weight, and bigger tires, I noticed an acceleration penalty with 3.73 gears. What to do. Hmmmm. Why not drop in some new gears? The question then was, which brand and what size gearing. I’ve heard mixed reviews on Yukon, great reviews on Revolution although they are supposedly noisy and keep coming back to Spicer. Since I am running 37” KO2s, probably the smallest 37” tire out there and given the torque coming out of the this beast, I opted for 4.56s knowing that I will never go above 37s without completely swapping out axles to Dana 60s. So, I plan to order Spicer 4.56s and will report on the feel of these gears once installed. And since I am opening up the axle, I thought I would install the RCVs front and rear. I beat the hell out of RCVs on the front with my JK and now what is required to maintain them. Only problem with the RCVs is they are back ordered until late December or January 2022. Good problem to have I suppose so long is it isn’t something related to all the container ships sitting outside Long Beach, CA.

Anyway, the cat is out of the bag thanks to Ring, the wife is onto me and the mod obsession has taken root. Below is a list of all the mods or add ins on the 392.

Next up for mods:
- MetalCloak 3.5” Game Changer lift paired with Fox 2.5 Elite Series DSC shocks, second week in October
- 4.56 Spicer Gears and RCV axles front and rear, late December
- Complete TOAD wiring and install 7 way plug with RVI3 battery charger (early next spring 2022)
- Dashcam TBD
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Here is a list of all the mods ordered, installed, or planned for the future and in some cases links to where the mods were ordered.

For Comms:
  • INSTALLED - CMM Off-road JL grab bar ball mount, ordered 8/15/21, RECEIVED 8/19/21
  • INSTALLED - Bulletpoint JL platform dash mount ordered 8/13/21, RECEIVED 8/23/21
  • INSTALLED - 2 Magnet Mic Mounts - Ordered from Amazon and received
  • INSTALLED - Yaesu ftm 400 xdr install, Ordered 9/8/21
  • MMB-36 Mobile Mount for ftm 400
  • Yaesu CT-162 - ftm 400 Mic Extension
  • Yaesu MEK-5 - ftm 400 Head extension
  • Diamond K400SNMO - Antenna mount for VHF/UHF Antenna
  • Diamond K400S - Antenna mount for HF Yaesu ATAS 120a Antenna
  • INSTALLED - Topsy JL/JT Fender Mount NMO Antenna Bracket × 2, ordered and received

For onboard air:

For bigger tires:
  • INSTALLED - BFG KO2S 37X12.5X17, DISCOUNT TIRE 9/1/21
  • INSTALLED - TerraFlex Tailgate reinforcement and 40” spare tire mount https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-jlu-alpha-hd-adjustable-spare-tire-mounting-kit-complete-5x5 ordered Teraflex 6/26/21
    • INSTALLED - Alpha HD Hinged Spare Tire Carrier Kit RECEIVED 7/16/21
    • INSTALLED - Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mount Kit w/brake light RECEIVED 7/20/21
  • INSTALLED - 1.75” wheel spacers for 37” tires - ordered 6/26/21 amazon - RECEIVED 7/1/21
  • 3.5” LIFT and suspension
    • MetalCloak 3.5” Game Changer Lift, ordered 9/23/21 from MetalCloak
    • Fox 2.5 Elite with DSC Shocks, ordered 9/23/21 from Extreme Terrain, RECEIVED 9/25/21
  • Gears and driveline upgrade
    • Z Automotive Mini Tazer and SGW extender cables - ordered Quadratec 6/26/21 - RECEIVED 7/1/21
    • RCV Ultimate 300m Dana 44 Rear Axle Set for JL RAP-JL-32
    • RCV Ultimate Dana 44 Axle 300M CV CVJ44-JL-300m
    • Adams Driveshaft front and rear 1350, ordered 10/1/21, received 10/6/21
    • Spicer 4.56 gears
JL Rockslider with steps: ordered 6/27/21 north ridge 4x4, received 9/16/21
  • INSTALLED - Steps $2099.99
  • INSTALLED - Door delete kit - $39.99
  • INSTALLED - LED Light kit - $69.99 - RECEIVED 7/1/21, returned extra lite 7/6/21
  • INSTALLED - Skid Plate Set for steps - $549.99

SKID Plates, METALCLOAK ORDERED 9/9/21
  • INSTALLED - UnderCloak Integrated Armor System, JL Wrangler, 392 SKU: 6386
  • INSTALLED - 392 MUFFLER SKID

RECOVERY, Safety, and Lights

ASTHESTICS and Overlanding

Future Wish List:
Z Automotive locker sensor override
Front end 1 ton build - Synergy (Drag link, track bar, steering stabilizer, tie rod)
Dash camera
Mirror mounts with 1” ball https://cmmoffroad.com/collections/...mm-jl-side-mirrors-with-1-ball-mount-solution
Rhino Roof Rack - eTrailer.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
First snow and trail damage!

My wife and I snuck off to the mountains this weekend to enjoy the last weekend of fall colors in Colorado and with the RSE rock sliders freshly installed. This was on Caribou Trail above Nederland Colorado. We encountered snow above 10,000 feet and first time Sully has witnessed snow.

Here are some pics of a campsite we found and trail damage along the way:
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1567
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1574

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Thank you for posting all of this! I'm going to use a fair amount of this as a guide for my upgrades. Well done!

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
What was the true size of the 37 KO2’s?

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
What was the true size of the 37 KO2’s?
36.5" on the spare at 37 PSI. 35.5" on the ground at 37 PSI. I think these qualify as the smallest 37" tires on the market LOL. But I like the light weight to minimize wear and tear on the unit bearing/ball joints. And performance off road, snow, and on the highway is the best jack of all trades tire IMO.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
36.5" on the spare at 37 PSI. 35.5" on the ground at 37 PSI. I think these qualify as the smallest 37" tires on the market LOL. But I like the light weight to minimize wear and tear on the unit bearing/ball joints. And performance off road, snow, and on the highway is the best jack of all trades tire IMO.
Currently have the standard 33" KO2's but might upgrader later on down the road. Love how the 392 drives stock right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Adding photos with the MetalCloak Game Changer lift and Fox 2.5 Elite Performance series adjustable shocks.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_0907
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_0910
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1590.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1588.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE 392 BUILD - SULLEY - SORRY, NOT SORRY! IMG_1582.JPG

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Have you got to trail your game changer lift yet? I am curious to your thoughts on the improvements it has made on and off road.
Great question and so far no despite a number of Colorado trails within 45m drive from me. Too busy with other stuff. Talking to a Jeep buddy about going up tomorrow. Told my wife that I need to get off road to test out everything. Will report back after tomorrow if I do get out.
Sponsored