JL Rubi gets Colorado axles?!?

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
D66F37F2-EFFE-4653-88C1-10BD6C63EA3A.jpeg D12FDA43-DFCD-4CD4-8D5A-B127E4CF9C97.png View attachment 3754 Anyone else notice from the latest “leaked” equipment and options list, that the optional M210 and M220 axles are straight out of the 2015 Colorado. I realize the Colorado front is IFS. Who’s ready to upgrade to a JL Rubicon with quarter ton axles? :no: SMH
Every serious wheeler or anyone planning on replacing their tire size with anything larger than stock now has to factor in 2 complete axle builds to the equation. I can see a lot of warranty claims denied next year due to “off road abuse” and “unapproved modifications” for owners that wanted to take their off-road truck, off road. :facepalm:

View attachment 3755
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
I agree. My brother made a good point the other day and I never really looked at it that way before. I know what I want in a Jeep is not what everyone wants in their Jeeps. We (the collective Jeep buying customer) are getting exactly what we asked for. I’m just surprised and saddened that this is what we’re asking for. :crying:

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
The next Wrangler generation will have IFS instead of solid axles, mark my words

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
The m220 are supposed to be upgraded versions of Dana 44. They aren’t IFS...
A peek at Dana’s website also shows them to be solid. Whether they are stronger is yet to be seen. Dana claimes they are stronger and more fuel efficient

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A peek at Dana’s website also shows them to be solid. Whether they are stronger is yet to be seen. Dana claimes they are stronger and more fuel efficient
I think he meant after the JL

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
D66F37F2-EFFE-4653-88C1-10BD6C63EA3A.jpeg D12FDA43-DFCD-4CD4-8D5A-B127E4CF9C97.png View attachment 3754 Anyone else notice from the latest “leaked” equipment and options list, that the optional M210 and M220 axles are straight out of the 2015 Colorado. I realize the Colorado front is IFS. Who’s ready to upgrade to a JL Rubicon with quarter ton axles? :no: SMH
Every serious wheeler or anyone planning on replacing their tire size with anything larger than stock now has to factor in 2 complete axle builds to the equation. I can see a lot of warranty claims denied next year due to “off road abuse” and “unapproved modifications” for owners that wanted to take their off-road truck, off road. :facepalm:

View attachment 3755
If it's stronger than the Dana 44, what makes you so angry?

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
According to Dana's website the Spicer Advantek m220 typical torque capacity is 7400Nm...from what I found on the D60 destructive tests the torque is 6200 lb-ft. So does this mean the M220 is stronger than a D60? If so this will be revolutionary for the jeep world

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 12.04.36 AM.png

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
According to Dana's website the Spicer Advantek m220 typical torque capacity is 7400Nm...from what I found on the D60 destructive tests the torque is 6200 lb-ft. So does this mean the M220 is stronger than a D60? If so this will be revolutionary for the jeep world

7400Nm = 5475.95 ft lb

ERAUGrad04

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1956 Oval VW, Model X

It's great to see them bumping up the strength of the ring gear, but that is only one piece of the equation. Tube strength, axle shaft strength, etc., are all important too.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The next Wrangler generation will have IFS instead of solid axles, mark my words
Lol, I've heard that before, when the TJ came out, and again, when the JK came out. Hasn't happened yet and that prediction is 20 years old. I'm sure it has come close a couple times, but you don't screw with the product formula that keeps the entire company afloat.

Every time a new Wrangler comes out, everyone thinks it will not be as good as the previous iteneration, yet over time, they prove themselves to be better. Man, I can remember the whining about the JK like it was yesterday, from the TJ crowd.

Dana has said the new axles are stronger and better than the JK axles. I see no reason to doubt them. We'll see, won't we?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One more note...I've heard not one single complaint from ZR2 owners about their axles, or anything else. They are loving those trucks, especially the new shocks, which are revolutionary. The only complaint I have heard is that the rear shock mounts stick down too low and need protection, which the aftermarket has already addressed. Check out AEV's Colorado ZR2 at Sema. Wow!
:clap:

OP
OP

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
Where are you getting information that these axles are supposed to be upgraded versions of the Dana 44?

I think he meant after the JL
Yes, as I said, I realize the front of the Colorado is IFS and the JL is not.
If it's stronger than the Dana 44, what makes you so angry?
Firstly, I’m not angry at all, I have a 2017 Recon, I’m good. Secondly, why/how would a quarter ton axle be stronger than a half ton axle.

Good one, stronger than a Dana 60 gave me a chuckle

7400Nm = 5475.95 ft lb
What he said and we do not know if this applies to the new JLs Colorado axle.

Lol, I've heard that before, when the TJ came out, and again, when the JK came out. Hasn't happened yet and that prediction is 20 years old. I'm sure it has come close a couple times, but you don't screw with the product formula that keeps the entire company afloat.

Every time a new Wrangler comes out, everyone thinks it will not be as good as the previous iteneration, yet over time, they prove themselves to be better. Man, I can remember the whining about the JK like it was yesterday, from the TJ crowd.

Dana has said the new axles are stronger and better than the JK axles. I see no reason to doubt them. We'll see, won't we?
Yes they have repeatedly said lighter, nowhere said stronger. This is not a haters response to the new thing coming. I’ve been into Jeeps for decades and thought every iteration of the Wrangler was an improvement since the YJ. This JL is just not good for many reasons other than being new.

One more note...I've heard not one single complaint from ZR2 owners about their axles, or anything else. They are loving those trucks, especially the new shocks, which are revolutionary. The only complaint I have heard is that the rear shock mounts stick down too low and need protection, which the aftermarket has already addressed. Check out AEV's Colorado ZR2 at Sema. Wow!
:clap:
you shouldn’t be hearing any complaints from ZR2 owners who never go bigger than 31s and never go as far up the trail as a Jeep. Those guys by ZR2s because that want to take their dirt bikes to the trails and there’s some gravel at the trail head. Ever seen ZR2s swarming to a rock garden.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This JL is just not good for many reasons other than being new.
Sounds like sour grapes to me. You haven't driven or even seen one, and know very little about it, but declare it "not good for many reasons."

You can feel plenty good about your JK without crapping on the JL. Heck, I'm keeping my JK. I love it.

ERAUGrad04

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1956 Oval VW, Model X
Sounds like sour grapes to me. You haven't driven or even seen one, and know very little about it, but declare it "not good for many reasons."

You can feel plenty good about your JK without crapping on the JL. Heck, I'm keeping my JK. I love it.
Amen!

I loved my '14 JKUR. It was a great Jeep and introduced the family and I to the Jeeping community! That said, really looking forward to the JL.

On the topic of axles, there is no reason to expect D60 axles in a Jeep. And in all honest, the D44's on previous Rubicons really did pretty well all the way up to 37" tires. Sure, some breaks happened here and there, but at the same time, I've seen PR60 failures along with SD60 breaks too.

What I am really looking for is a beefed up front axle. Hopefully at least the same as the current Recon's. The thicker tube and larger Cs go a long way towards supporting 37s.
Sponsored