Sponsored

2022 Hardtop Production Halted?

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
I was at a dealer yesterday to test drive a 4 banger JL. The sales person told me there won't be any hard top wranglers anytime soon. Said the plastic for the hard top is not available. Hope that is not true and he was baiting me to buy the 2018 I test drove.
BTW, loved the power and smooth shifting on the 2 liter turbo / auto combo.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I was at a dealer yesterday to test drive a 4 banger JL. The sales person told me there won't be any hard top wranglers anytime soon. Said the plastic for the hard top is not available. Hope that is not true and he was baiting me to buy the 2018 I test drove.
BTW, loved the power and smooth shifting on the 2 liter turbo / auto combo.
He was baiting you.

Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
How do you know when a salesperson is lying??

His lips are moving. Take everything a salesperson says with the smallest grain of salt.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is what I thought. Like I would buy a Sport with 33 x 12.50 tires on 20 inch rims. Definitely a mall cruiser.
Just order one from Peterson (Kent was great on two of my orders) or another volume dealer such as Gupton/Chapman for well under invoice (which is already discounted almost 7% from MSRP). Then ship or fly and drive back. Should save you about 13% from MSRP roughly, minus the fee to get it home of course. Even on high side, it's $1500 open carrier to ship across the entire US.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
That was a thing actually. It may or may not have impacted Jeep, but there was a freeze in Texas earlier this year that impacted production of plastic/polymers. It was stated that it had a big impact on the Ford Bronco top production.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-we...ring-monthslong-plastics-shortage-11615973401

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/f...riggered-global-plastics-shortage-11615995141

https://www.businessinsider.com/plastics-shortage-texas-freeze-storm-uri-fight-for-materials-2021-3

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
There's actually a "supply chain" issue with fiberglass & associated components right now. It's possible that the sales guy is correct.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's actually a "supply chain" issue with fiberglass & associated components right now. It's possible that the sales guy is correct.
Yeah, it's possible, but there's randomly supply chain issues on everything this year. I think just assuming the normal 3-4 month wait period should be sufficient for the most part, but we'll see.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Just order one from Peterson or another volume dealer for 7% under invoice (which is already discounted almost 7% from MSRP). Then ship or fly and drive back. Should save you about 13% from MSRP roughly, minus the fee to get it home of course. Even on high side, it's $1500 open carrier to ship across the entire US.
Absolute truth... I recommend Gupton out in Tennessee.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I would not recommend Kent if you are on west coast. If anyone needs details I am more than happy to provide.
My next order is going to Koons
Interesting -- he was great on both of my orders, though my 392 went to Chapman.