Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I picked up my new 2021 Willys Sport EcoDiesel last night. I want to get right to it and do a muffler delete as soon as I can gather the parts. I am wanting to buy the pipes and make my own axel back exhaust. I've done it a few times already on previous vehicles, but I'm having trouble finding the size of the exhaust pipe on the 3.0 EcoDiesel specifically. Does anyone know off the top of their head what the Outer or Inner Diameter of the exhaust pipe is? Or where I can find that info?

Thx in advance,
Greg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Jeep Wrangler JL Exhaust Pipe O.D. I.D (size)?? IMG_20211127_095125297

Nm, answered my own question, 2.75"

Don't know if y'all moderators want to leave this thread up, as it might be helpful to other members. It's up to y'all. I'll be posting updates as I complete this process! :rock: 😎

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
muffler deletes are popular on the gas jeeps but on the diesel it will not gain you anything. the DPF is the flow restrictor and what you are referring to as a muffler is more of a spark arrestor for the DPF burn off.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
muffler deletes are popular on the gas jeeps but on the diesel it will not gain you anything. the DPF is the flow restrictor and what you are referring to as a muffler is more of a spark arrestor for the DPF burn off.
I'm not trying to gain better airflow, honestly it's just too quiet for me. I'm looking for more sound out of the exhaust. Love the sounds from the engine, but the exhaust is so quiet, it's just not my taste. 😜

Eventually I will look into removing the resonator??? I'm not really sure exactly what it is. My first Diesel vehicle. But that fat section of pipe after the catalytic converter, bout half way between the muffler and the cat. There's a bunch of wires and things in that area I'm not really keen on what they are or do, but they connect to the exhaust pipe. I'm hesitant to touch any of that stuff until I know what those connectors are and do. They look like O2 sensors, but I'm fairly sure that's not correct??

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
understood, but to save you time and money you will not notice a sound difference when you remove the muffler. the sensors are after turbo exhaust temp, and oxygen used to monitor and control the regen cycles. there is also the butterfly valve that restricts exhaust flow during regen. this is a small diesel with a short stroke block. it will never sound like a big boy cummins or power stroke.

Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
As said above, it’s simply not possible without a delete.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
understood, but to save you time and money you will not notice a sound difference when you remove the muffler. the sensors are after turbo exhaust temp, and oxygen used to monitor and control the regen cycles. there is also the butterfly valve that restricts exhaust flow during regen. this is a small diesel with a short stroke block. it will never sound like a big boy cummins or power stroke.
Interesting, thank you Diezselsmk. I really appreciate your knowledge! :like: :involve:

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
I removed my muffler and there is an extremely faint difference in the sound. Yet I did not do it for the sound. I did it to get that big block of steel from out from underneath her ass end.

Now I want to raise up the DEF tank for a little more ground clearance. And hopefully it will make it a little easier on building the lift kit for the rear. And that is a different story.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I removed my muffler and there is an extremely faint difference in the sound. Yet I did not do it for the sound. I did it to get that big block of steel from out from underneath her ass end.

Now I want to raise up the DEF tank for a little more ground clearance. And hopefully it will make it a little easier on building the lift kit for the rear. And that is a different story.
Just curious, did you remove the muffler yourself? Or did you have a shop do it?

If you did it yourself, was yours welded at that clamp, in my previous post (above)? What was your trick to getting the muffler unattached?

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Themistocles did a better job in showing and explaining than I could have done.

Nano

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2018
Bump!

does anyone know what’s the OD and ID for the 3.6L?

I’m planning to buy a magnaflow muffler and install it right after the resonator(like this guy ), so I can get rid of the stock muffler, to have more clearance and mount my coilovers reservoir instead.
Sponsored