What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

guzie

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon
In honor of Black Friday, I painted my muffler black! Ever since I’ve seen it here on the forum, it’s been on my list to do. Not sure who I’ve seen paint the muffler BUT thank you for the idea! It really changes the back of the wrangler!

FE211A46-FFF0-43A5-80D2-5C075F95BCB3.jpeg
I have a back aftermarket axle back in a box for my new wrangler as soon as it gets here (hopefully any day now). I wanted to black out that ugly muffler. Plus it gives me dual exhaust tips which look nice as well. A bit deeper exhaust note too.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I found instructions on Rustoleum’s website for using their high heat paint and primer (https://www.rustoleum.com/en/project-catalog/garage/how-to-paint-your-exhaust-pipe) the only difference is before I did the curing process I did a second coat of black then cured the paint.

I was worried about over spray so when getting the paint and primer, I picked up some construction paper and frog tape from Home Depot. After the muffler and tail pipe was cleaned, using the construction paper, I wrapped the bumper and as best I could under the Jeep, making sure any seems over lapped and was tapped off. A few areas I couldn’t fully wrap so I just tapped. Then started the priming / painting.

About 30 minutes after the second coat was applied, I carefully took all the paper and tape off. I figured this would let me touch up any areas I mighta missed and clean anything that wasn’t supposed to be painted.

From starting cleaning to ending the curing process, it took me about 6 and a half hours. But that’s waiting an hour in between priming and the first coat, waiting another hour before starting the second coat and then waiting 2 hours to start the curing. The curing took about an hour and a half. Probably could have been faster but I wanted to make sure there was no over spray and everything was completely dry before starting the next step. As I’ve never painted a muffler, figured primer and 2 coats would make it last longer.

As a heads up, definitely wear clothes you don’t care about, safety glasses and a mask. You’re basically spray painting laying under the back of the Jeep, some over spray ends up back on you

Sorry for the long response! Hopefully, it’s a little helpful
@JRostek

Good to see you painted the eyesore and are encouraging other's to do the same to their JL...

For 3+yrs, I have been ragging on guys/gals here to paint their JL's, fuggly shiney muffler and tailpipe, black.

I have been painting the muffler and tail pipe on my JK's since 2007... and also did on my 2018 JL.

When I'm driving, I shake my head and mumble out loud, "that looks like chitt", every time I get behind a Wrangler JK or JL and see a shiney, unpainted mess under it (muffler/tail pipe)... that stands out like a sore thumb...

I do the same when I see pics of real nice JL's posted on this forum and the eyesore dominates the picture(s).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/2222675/?q=paint,+muffler&c[users]=Rhinebeck01&o=date

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
@JRostek

Good to see you painted the eyesore and are encouraging other's to do the same to their JL...

For 3+yrs, I have been ragging on guys/gals here to paint their JL's, fuggly shiney muffler and tailpipe, black.

I have been painting the muffler and tail pipe on my JK's since 2007... and also did on my 2018 JL.

When I'm driving, I shake my head and mumble out loud, "that looks like chitt", every time I get behind a Wrangler JK or JL and see a shiney, unpainted mess under it (muffler/tail pipe)... that stands out like a sore thumb...

I do the same when I see pics of real nice JL's posted on this forum and the eyesore dominates the picture(s).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/2222675/?q=paint,+muffler&c[users]=Rhinebeck01&o=date

I couldn't agree more. It looks like a trash can that was backed over and got wedged behind the bumper.

I took it a step further than paint, and swapped it out for the Borla Touring Climber cat-back. It really opened up the rear end...
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20210117_135607_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20210211_132351_resized

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@JRostek

Honestly, it might have been one of your posts which inspired me BUT after seeing the muffler black, I couldn’t stand the chrome any more… It was driving me insane. The black muffler really changes the look. Minus the time which I admitted I mighta went over kill, it was like $30 to do. I don’t think there is a cheaper mod which changes the look of the JL this much

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I couldn't agree more. It looks like a trash can that was backed over and got wedged behind the bumper.

I took it a step further than paint, and swapped it out for the Borla Touring Climber cat-back. It really opened up the rear end...
That really does take it a step further! I wasn’t ready to jump down the rabbit hole of exhaust.

Odd observation: looks like Metalcloak fixed the “M” on the rear skid plate. In my picture it looks like an M and in yours looks like a W. Maybe newer version? I got the skid maybe 2 months ago

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

20210117_135607_resized.jpg
20210211_132351_resized.jpg
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 102820-headbarcode

jurassic3k

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
In honor of Black Friday, I painted my muffler black! Ever since I’ve seen it here on the forum, it’s been on my list to do. Not sure who I’ve seen paint the muffler BUT thank you for the idea! It really changes the back of the wrangler!

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 102820-headbarcode
I love how mine looks painted too...goes well with the Willys blackout.
20211108_161636.jpg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That really does take it a step further! I wasn’t ready to jump down the rabbit hole of exhaust.

Odd observation: looks like Metalcloak fixed the “M” on the rear skid plate. In my picture it looks like an M and in yours looks like a W. Maybe newer version? I got the skid maybe 2 months ago
I've had the rear skid for over a year now. At that time, pics on the product page didn't have those new extra gussets. I must've gotten one of the 1st of the revised design, before someone told the welder that it's a diff skid, not a diff hat. 😆 I didn't see the need to deal with the hassle of exchanging it, so I'm rocking a one of a kind Wetalcloak skid.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I received an early Christmas gift.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20211128_194841

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Fun couple days working on my Jeep. I pulled my awning off my roof rack for the winter & hung it on the garage wall. I was afraid of it turning into a mass of mildew since the ever present rain won't stop until next April. Plus, I can always reinstall it in about 15 min if needed for an overnight ski or snow camping trip.

I finally installed the Tazer-Lite I purchased last June to correct for 37's (which are actually just 35.5"). The installation set off a CEL & a slew of DTC'S which have not returned after clearing and driving for a while.

Installed some defroster plugs to help distribute the air flow to the sides of the windshield.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20211128_173300.JPG

Slapped on my OR OHV sticker purchased for a trip to the OR Coast last Oct.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20211127_153437.JPG

Installed the blue LED's in my Roam rock sliders & tied them to the interior, footwell lights. This took me almost all day with soldering all the wires together and running the wires through a grommet in the driver's side firewall. I'm not a big guy, but there is very little room in the footwell under the dash to strip , crimp & connect wires. It's all wired up and working properly, now, but I'm not convinced I like the purple- color. These are very bright & they scream for a bit more attention than I want.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20211128_173352.JPG

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Ordered a new exhaust on Thanksgiving day and it showed up today. Borla climber touring for a 2.0T. Went on really easy, old exhaust came off pretty easy too. Ended up covered in wool wax, tried not to touch things but somehow it still ended up all over lol.

I like it so far! the touring version of the borla barely changes the exhaust note which was important for me. That big old OEM muffler always sat in the back of my mind when wheeling, so happy to have it out of there!

Looks nice and clean now!

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20211128_183112