Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
The Wouxon 1000G has all the GMRS channels preprogrammed as well so that does not play into any differences between the two. The rest of what you say is basically true, the difference between 40W and 50W when off-roading would likely never come into play. The Wouxon has a lot more features and bands you can listen on and also comes with a detachable faceplate that gives more mounting options which may help make it worth the $100 more.
Right, someone else pointed out that the 400 doesn't have controls in mic, as I will likely be alone, I need something I can use with ease, so I'm pretty stuck on the 1000G at this point. Thanks again everyone for chiming in, it helps a great deal.

RickC137

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUL 3.6/Auto
I didn't think about the mic mounted controls, hmmmmm....Does the 575 have mic mounted controls, or, can you add that MIC to the 400 or 575? Since I probably won't have a copilot/navigator, the mic controls are a must have...Thanks all for the input.
Looks like the 575 has all controls in the mic and appears to be the same as the 275...Except 50 watts vs 15.

The website says they're out of stock, but asking price is $399 !!!!!! 50 watts is nice, and helpful in remote locations, but that's a pretty steep price to pay IMO. An ICOM IC-2730a doesn't cost near that much, and that's a 50 watt dual band amatuer radio.

Since there isn't a lot of room in these Jeeps, seems like the MXT275 is the best bang for the buck. At $165 it's ready to go out of the box, 12 volt cigarette lighter, plug and play and includes that dinky little magnet mount antenna so you're on the air fast. A high quality UHF antenna can always be mounted later and you can take your time figuring out the best way to hard wire the power. You can buy a microphone extension cable and hard wire that radio anywhere in the cabin (cargo area) and still get the mic mounted where you want it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Looks like the 575 has all controls in the mic and appears to be the same as the 275...Except 50 watts vs 15.

The website says they're out of stock, but asking price is $399 !!!!!! 50 watts is nice, and helpful in remote locations, but that's a pretty steep price to pay IMO. An ICOM IC-2730a doesn't cost near that much, and that's a 50 watt dual band amatuer radio.

Since there isn't a lot of room in these Jeeps, seems like the MXT275 is the best bang for the buck. At $165 it's ready to go out of the box, 12 volt cigarette lighter, plug and play and includes that dinky little magnet mount antenna so you're on the air fast. A high quality UHF antenna can always be mounted later and you can take your time figuring out the best way to hard wire the power.
I agree with that whole thought, except, in the back of my mind I keep wondering (in advance) if serious trouble could have been avoided if I had just paid the extra money?

RickC137

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUL 3.6/Auto
I agree with that whole thought, except, in the back of my mind I keep wondering (in advance) if serious trouble could have been avoided if I had just paid the extra money?
If you bought a Wouxun KG-1000G (or an MXT275), I don't think you're in for any "serious trouble". Both will be serviceable radios and you'll find improvements to the antenna installation will bring the most benefit.

What did you buy?

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
You can't live on what if though. That's like saying what if you could have avoided serious trouble by just being a Defender instead. For every problem the 575 might solve over the 275 there is another problem with GMRS limitations in general. If you want to spend extra money for extra security buy a Garmin InReach mini and pay for the optional insurance plan.

Side note, I keep seeing mention in this thread of Midland being made in the US, but I've not seen where to confirm that?

RickC137

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUL 3.6/Auto
Side note, I keep seeing mention in this thread of Midland being made in the US, but I've not seen where to confirm that?
My MXT275 is made in China according to the attached tag. I think it's reasonable to assume they're ALL made in China.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
You can't live on what if though. That's like saying what if you could have avoided serious trouble by just being a Defender instead. For every problem the 575 might solve over the 275 there is another problem with GMRS limitations in general. If you want to spend extra money for extra security buy a Garmin InReach mini and pay for the optional insurance plan.

Plans in general get forgotten after first contact, does that mean we shouldn't plan at all? Probably not! Be well.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
The Wouxon 1000G has all the GMRS channels preprogrammed as well so that does not play into any differences between the two. The rest of what you say is basically true, the difference between 40W and 50W when off-roading would likely never come into play. The Wouxon has a lot more features and bands you can listen on and also comes with a detachable faceplate that gives more mounting options which may help make it worth the $100 more.
This is why I ordered the Wouxon. The detachable faceplate and 50 watts is what sold me. I didn’t want the entire unit taking up up a lot of room, so having the ability to mount the faceplate on the dash and not be entirely in your face was a big plus. If someone else had a detached faceplate, I probably would have gone with it.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine (ex-air force Comm officer) copied the specs for Midlands MXT400, he told me that for our OFF ROADING use (line of sight) 40W, 10 less than the Wouxon 1000G, wouldn't be noticeable, antenna type and location matter more. Also, it's more than $100.00 less and it's channels are preprogrammed so the folks new to this type of radio are up and running out of the box. LOL, and no, I don't work for Midland, just trying to help the 2 way radio/GMRS convo keep rolling with good info...
I wasted so much money buying Midland GMRS radios. They all have significant flaws. From dropping FRS channels that better radios let you monitor, to locking in to narrow band, to lack of support for split tone repeaters.

Wouxun is eating Midland's lunch.

https://donmontalvo.com/2021/11/03/midland-radio-vs-wouxun/

Sponsored

learysd

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubican Recon
This is why I ordered the Wouxon. The detachable faceplate and 50 watts is what sold me. I didn’t want the entire unit taking up up a lot of room, so having the ability to mount the faceplate on the dash and not be entirely in your face was a big plus. If someone else had a detached faceplate, I probably would have gone with it.
Have you mounted your Wouxun yet? Curious to see your setup.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Have you mounted your Wouxun yet? Curious to see your setup.
Not yet. I’m the middle of moving and haven’t had the chance to yet. I’ll post pictures when I do.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I have three Wouxun radios - KG-935G, KG-905G and a KG-1000G (in my van). They are all great radios and the dual channel monitoring on the 1000G and 935G is outstanding. All the radios are very well built and the radio circuitry with the Super Het receiver vs the SOC of most others makes a difference. Right now I only have the handhelds for my Jeep but will likely be putting in a KG-1000G when I get a chance (they are on backorder again) and also once I decide on how to mount - thinking base unit behind drivers foot well panels and head unit on my overhead MPS Molle panel. I like having the mic on a retractable cord but also have a secondary mic clip s well.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have three Wouxun radios - KG-935G, KG-905G and a KG-1000G (in my van). They are all great radios and the dual channel monitoring on the 1000G and 935G is outstanding. All the radios are very well built and the radio circuitry with the Super Het receiver vs the SOC of most others makes a difference. Right now I only have the handhelds for my Jeep but will likely be putting in a KG-1000G when I get a chance (they are on backorder again) and also once I decide on how to mount - thinking base unit behind drivers foot well panels and head unit on my overhead MPS Molle panel. I like having the mic on a retractable cord but also have a secondary mic clip s well.
I've been thinking of getting an overhead molle panel so I can mount my Wouxun KG-1000 off to the side...because the screen can't be dimmed...the only flaw in such a perfect and most capable unit.

Learned at EJS how important it is to mount stuff you use often in a place where you don't have to move stuff around. Like my MOORFlate quad inflator hose kit, first aid kit, spare handheld radios, etc.