Sponsored

Has anyone installed a hard top on a soft top equipped JLUR?

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't think this through. I ordered my wife a Tuscadero JLURe, and having the hard top on our 2020, just thought, "it'll go right on."

And it did.

Except for the 4 metal brackets up front. The windshield front two are held in by 1 bolt each because of the ACC.

But what I REALLY didn't think about was... the rear defroster, wiper, and fluid. There's no wiring, or hose in the rear and (biggest hurdle) the wiper arm is completely different, omitting the rotator for the rear controls.

So now i feel like an asshole, and the arm is killing me. I could probably order the wiring and hose, but I've always heard the steering column is a PITA.

Any advice?

20211125_123557.jpg
Sponsored

Als@Ohio

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97, 15, 18 Wranglers
I bit the bullet. Paid the dealer to install the wiring. They also have to flash the computer.

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I bit the bullet. Paid the dealer to install the wiring. They also have to flash the computer.
Did they do wiring and the new steering colmn arm?

Als@Ohio

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97, 15, 18 Wranglers
I had ordered the harness and arm through the dealer. They installed everything once the parts were in.

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had ordered the harness and arm through the dealer. They installed everything once the parts were in.
How much did it run you?

Sponsored

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@IdahoJOAT

You buy the kit from the dealer or buy/get a deal on the kit from an online vendor... Cost of the kit is around $275+- for the JL kit... (there is also a JK kit- you do not want that kit, obviously)

Dealer Service Department's will gladly install and they usually get from 1.5 - 2.5 hrs shop time to do the install.... So, for about $250+- your have the install done to include the necessary computer flash. Pricing will vary based on geographical location, the dealer, etc.

Important... DO, do get the Service Manager (not Service Writer) to commit to actual price they will do the install for before you have them do the job.... This install if handed to a Tech that has not done the install can take a long time to do... A Tech that has done before will breeeze through the install.. So, you want a fixed/firm price for the install or do not let that ServiceDept.r do it..

Do you have a link to the kit? I did a cursory search this morning for "jlu hard top install kit" and came up with bupkiss.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@IdahoJOAT

You buy the kit from the dealer or buy/get a deal on the kit from an online vendor... Cost of the kit is around $275+- for the JL kit... (there is also a JK kit- you do not want that kit, obviously)

Dealer Service Department's will gladly install and they usually get from 1.5 - 2.5 hrs shop time to do the install.... So, for about $250+- your have the install done to include the necessary computer flash. Pricing will vary based on geographical location, the dealer, etc.

Important... DO, do get the Service Manager (not Service Writer) to commit to actual price they will do the install for before you have them do the job.... This install if handed to a Tech that has not done the install can take a long time to do... A Tech that has done before will breeeze through the install.. So, you want a fixed/firm price for the install or do not let that Service Dept. do it..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do you have a link to the kit? I did a cursory search this morning for "jlu hard top install kit" and came up with bupkiss.
@IdahoJOAT

Here is the kit if your JLU does not have a heated steering wheel.
There is a selection there for the kit if you have a heated steering wheel.
Mopar Part #: 82215221AB
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/h...bjBJ4RSbnf0upwK_Vx7Bktb130gkEGe0aAvqcEALw_wcB

IF you have heated steering wheel you want this kit:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/hardtop-wiring-harness-conversion-kit-wrangler-jl/heated-steering
Mopar Part #: 82215312AC

LINK to install instr..
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/K6862532.pdf

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I installed one on mine, but I live in So. Cal. and have very little need for rear wiper or defrost, so I haven't bothered with the rest. Maybe someday.

Sponsored

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Read the instructions for the kit. A lot of wiring, unpinning connectors etc. it’s not for the faint of heart. Dealer had my JLUR for 3 days. This was in 2018.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
@IdahoJOAT

Here is the kit if your JLU does not have a heated steering wheel.
There is a selection there for the kit if you have a heated steering wheel.
Mopar Part #: 82215221AB
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/h...bjBJ4RSbnf0upwK_Vx7Bktb130gkEGe0aAvqcEALw_wcB

IF you have heated steering wheel you want this kit:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/hardtop-wiring-harness-conversion-kit-wrangler-jl/heated-steering
Mopar Part #: 82215312AC

LINK to install instr..
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/K6862532.pdf
Would this be the same kit you would need if going to from soft-top to Sky One Touch Top? I realize there are additional wiring components as part of that but I think you need these same hard-top kit for the rear window?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Would this be the same kit you would need if going to from soft-top to Sky One Touch Top? I realize there are additional wiring components as part of that but I think you need these same hard-top kit for the rear window?
Sadly, no. That kit only adds the wires for the wiper/defrost and the washer hose.

Gregj

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The kit adds three or four wires.
A2C5CF64-0DC8-4BE4-81C2-E47192DD58E5.png

To run the power top you need this many wires.
ECF337CB-9835-4750-94BE-3411EE9AD208.jpeg
C3EE4D67-6147-4951-AF11-910800360C76.jpeg

Gregj

jlamanske

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Mine is going in to the dealer Monday for the hard top conversion kit. I'm nervous. At least the tech at the dealer KNEW about the conversion kit. That makes me feel a little better. I had them order the kit and hard top when I purchased my soft top Unlimited. They said they would cover the labor.
Sponsored