Sponsored

Sputternutz

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I just had mine replaced and the tech did not swap the 4.88 gear from the old rear-end to the new one, thank God mine JL is a standard trans or I may not have noticed. A front-end at 4.88 and a rear-end at 4.10 don't play well with each other in 4WD.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I just had mine replaced and the tech did not swap the 4.88 gear from the old rear-end to the new one, thank God mine JL is a standard trans or I may not have noticed. A front-end at 4.88 and a rear-end at 4.10 don't play well with each other in 4WD.
I'm shocked they replaced it after a gear swap

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I do not understand why the dealer is changing out complete Axel assembly’s for the locker problem. Oil does not conduct electrical current, moisture does. Jeepers that do a lot of water crossings etc. might be part of the problem.
The connections where the harness connects together (outside) needs to be disconnected and generous amounts of dialectical grease put on, around and in these connections. Also your wheel sensors that fail need the same thing. Heavy rain and driving causes moisture to eventually get in and causes replacement. Do this and most problems will be prevented. Dialectical grease is a lot cheaper than axel replacement.
use it on all electrical connections to include your battery terminals.You will be amazed what a little preventative maintenance will do. Don’t forget to get a can of computer compressed air and blow out all the moisture and clean the insides prior to reassembling.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I do not understand why the dealer is changing out complete Axel assembly’s for the locker problem. Oil does not conduct electrical current, moisture does. Jeepers that do a lot of water crossings etc. might be part of the problem.
The connections where the harness connects together (outside) needs to be disconnected and generous amounts of dialectical grease put on, around and in these connections. Also your wheel sensors that fail need the same thing. Heavy rain and driving causes moisture to eventually get in and causes replacement. Do this and most problems will be prevented. Dialectical grease is a lot cheaper than axel replacement.
use it on all electrical connections to include your battery terminals.You will be amazed what a little preventative maintenance will do. Don’t forget to get a can of computer compressed air and blow out all the moisture and clean the insides prior to reassembling.
Perfectly clean oil is a poor conductor.

Diff/Gear Oil laden with micro metallic flake is very conductive.

There are two connections. One on the outside with a near identical connector on the inside. Dielectric grease is designed as a moisture barrier, as you have mentioned. It's not going to prevent anything on the inside of the differential. It will simply breakdown.

Pot your sensors before it's too late. The write-up is a sticky in the axle section, if you haven't done this already.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Read the entire thread and the other ones out there on the forum. Many of us have documented in great detail what is going on from personal experience and diagnostics and it has ZERO to do with water or moisture and EVERYTHING to do with oil getting into the sensor itself and causing the sensor to fail. The oil has very fine metal particulate in it from normal wearing of the gears and that is what is shorting out the sensor.

The axles are being replaced on Jeep and Dana's dime for reasons none of us can find out other than Jeep is being lazy and pushing it onto Dana.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Read the entire thread and the other ones out there on the forum. Many of us have documented in great detail what is going on from personal experience and diagnostics and it has ZERO to do with water or moisture and EVERYTHING to do with oil getting into the sensor itself and causing the sensor to fail. The oil has very fine metal particulate in it from normal wearing of the gears and that is what is shorting out the sensor.

The axles are being replaced on Jeep and Dana's dime for reasons none of us can find out other than Jeep is being lazy and pushing it onto Dana.
They send the core back and repair it, and resell it. It's pretty straightforward.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They send the core back and repair it, and resell it. It's pretty straightforward.
It's pretty stupid is what it is. The labor, shipping, etc... is stupid considering it's a 30 min job to replace the sensor.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It's pretty stupid is what it is. The labor, shipping, etc... is stupid considering it's a 30 min job to replace the sensor.
A bean counter somewhere decided that the disruption to the supply chain from selling the individual sensor was worse than sending the whole axle back to be rebuilt. We will never have enough info to know if they were right.

Sponsored

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
So i have a 2022 Rubi on the way and am anticipating dealing with the same issues as everyone else. I have a tazer I will unmarry from my 2021 Willys and carry over.

What are people doing once the Jeep is out of the warranty period? Can we just wire to dedicated aux switch panels the same way someone would if they were throwing Rubi axles on a Sport? Use the Tazer to override any error codes?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So i have a 2022 Rubi on the way and am anticipating dealing with the same issues as everyone else. I have a tazer I will unmarry from my 2021 Willys and carry over.

What are people doing once the Jeep is out of the warranty period? Can we just wire to dedicated aux switch panels the same way someone would if they were throwing Rubi axles on a Sport? Use the Tazer to override any error codes?
That's one option and the other is to buy the Z Automotive harness.

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
That's one option and the other is to buy the Z Automotive harness.
i cant believe the fix is that easy, especially if it isnt the locker going bad. Did they just over engineer this for “safety” so that it is idiot proof and people can’t throw a locker on when on the highway?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i cant believe the fix is that easy, especially if it isnt the locker going bad. Did they just over engineer this for “safety” so that it is idiot proof and people can’t throw a locker on when on the highway?
The sensor that is going bad is the one that reads the state of the locker not the one that actually engages it.

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Tuscadero, 2023 JLURXR Reign
My wife just called. She has the same issue. Jeep dealership told her not to drive it. She’s waiting to get towed to dealer. 2022 Rubicon XR.

7D77ADA8-0822-4B48-8ED0-99D551684D2E.jpeg

792945C5-606F-4EF4-98EB-6FAC1ED25DC2.jpeg
Sponsored