Customizing Wrangler DIY

cm89

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I recently purchased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport and wanted to do some customizations ( door handle, headlight trim, brake light trim , grill inserts etc) but can’t find the color I want. Is it possible to get the color of paint I want and do it myself? What are some of the steps I need to take to accomplish this? (Sanding, coats etc etc)

77E25E8C-B68C-4525-82D8-F077E4F8125B.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
cm89

cm89

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently purchased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport and wanted to do some customizations ( door handle, headlight trim, brake light trim , grill inserts etc) but can’t find the color I want. Is it possible to get the color of paint I want and do it myself? What are some of the steps I need to take to accomplish this? (Sanding, coats etc etc)

35F5151A-2490-430B-8781-ED2DB970E9E1.jpeg

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

35F5151A-2490-430B-8781-ED2DB970E9E1.jpeg
Mopar sells spray cans of your colour. Call the parts department.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
www.automotivetouchup.com sells factory-match paint in a 12 oz spray can vs the 5 oz spray can you can get from the dealer/Quadratec/etc. I'd also recommend purchasing the $3 spray "gun" that attaches to the top of the spray can, and some automotive clear coat. Scuff the parts up a little, use some adhesion promotor for plastics, and then spray. It's pretty easy to get great results. Practice on other things first before spraying the Jeep parts.

OP
OP
cm89

cm89

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
www.automotivetouchup.com sells factory-match paint in a 12 oz spray can vs the 5 oz spray can you can get from the dealer/Quadratec/etc. I'd also recommend purchasing the $3 spray "gun" that attaches to the top of the spray can, and some automotive clear coat. Scuff the parts up a little, use some adhesion promotor for plastics, and then spray. It's pretty easy to get great results. Practice on other things first before spraying the Jeep parts.
what about if I’m looking for another color That isn’t factory ?

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
what about if I’m looking for another color That isn’t factory ?
Then your best bet is probably going to be any spray paint formulated for plastics. I’d really caution against painting those pieces you mentioned any color other than color-matched to the rest of the vehicle. Maybe look for plasti-dip in the color you’re thinking because it can easily be peeled off if it doesn’t look good.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
If you have an Advance Auto store near you they have Duplicolor spray paints to match many manufacturers colors. Maybe you can find a color you like there.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I’m assuming you won’t use a HVLP paint gun. With that said, if you have a particular paint code you want to use simply go to automotivetouchup.com and give them your desired paint code. You can then purchase spray cans. I usually like to clean the areas well first. Then hit it with sand paper. Clean it well with Isopropyl Alcohol and a tack rag prior to paint. Use a Plastic Adhesion Promoter on plastic parts. Then a few coats of base. Then lots of clear if you want a good glossy look. Let cure, wet sand, compound, and polish and finally a protective coating (preferably ceramic coating).

I suggest looking at YouTube videos as this was all a quickie. 😉. Good luck!
Sponsored