IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Mayo Packet ($500)
Anti-theft Device ($2000)
Jeep Receiver Plug ($500)
Dealer "Prep" aka removing stickers ($1500)
Nitogen Fill ($500)
composition-of-the-atmosphere-nitrogen-carbon-vector-12783980.jpg
I had a dealer once argue with me that nitrogen was a rare gas and it increases performance when in tires. I almost walked away from the deal when he tried to push it for $350.

KAB96F

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR
Occupation
Structural Engineer
That is very vague on the dealer's behalf.
If I was a dealer, for your $5k I'd throw in "Supreme" branded fuzzy dice to hang from the mirror, add a couple of Yeti mugs (with my dealership emblem on them of course), as well as a picture of you and your Jeep (in a very fancy Chinese made frame that I buy in bulk) all for $5k. But wait, since I like you so much, I'd instantly refund you $2k for you being the Customer of the Year! 🤣

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
So, a dealership around here is now adding a "+5000 Customization Allowance" which boosts the Wrangler by 5K. A few weeks ago they had a "Market Adjustment", but I figure that is wildly unpopular with buyers. Seems like an interesting way to generate revenue without making the buyer feel like they're getting hosed.

I almost want to call up and ask what I get for the 5K, would it include a Mopar Lift and tires? :) My guess anything past some easy bolt-on stuff blows that 5K out of the water. :)
This is why people need to support honest, fair dealers like Gupton and tell these other f'n crooks to shove it.

I HATE car dealers.

WhtRubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
$500 - Nitrogen Tires
$750 - Interior Protection Package (a rattle can of scotchguard)
$1,500 - Exterior Protection Package ($15 bottle of spray on wax and $0.35 worth of 3M strips)
$2,250 - Dealer Prep (remove window stickers and shipping protection)

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thats one reason why when I purchase any vehicle the first thing I tell them is I’m talking out the door prices and I don’t care how they get there but this is what I’m willing to pay. No hidden fees, add-ons etc.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T

Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
As long as there are enough dumb people in this world willing to pay these bogus upcharges, then dealers will continue to do it. As the old saying goes...there's an ass for every seat.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
As long as there are enough dumb people in this world willing to pay these bogus upcharges, then dealers will continue to do it. As the old saying goes...there's an ass for every seat.
That's what I was thinking Mike. As long as the dealer can hit the monthly payment the buyer needs, that customer never looks for, or even questions these dealer scams. And, we all know there are more uninformed/uneducated buyers out there than there is folks like us that won't entertain that type of bullshit.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I read somewhere that the 3M and other name branded upholstery coatings and exterior coatings are the biggest dealer ripoff. Like you could buy a bottle of the same stuff at Walmart for $5 and do it yourself. Dealer could charge a couple thousand dollars to do it.
I know this is off topic a bit, but as an aside Japanese luxury brand Lexus really makes you feel important and special. When you go into the dealer they have food, drinks, you name it. It's like a lounge and a very comfortable experience. And they don't try and rip you off. But- there was a US car company that did that too. What was the only American car company that made us feel that way? About 25 years ago (can't believe it's been that long) my wife bought a new Saturn sedan. I know, "Saturn" yuk, but back then it really was a sharp looking car and rode well. But the Saturn dealer was exceptional and even had better service than Lexus. They had the free food, friendly staff, etc... did not try to rip you off with extras....and even if you were in there to get a simple oil change, they washed your car. Every time. And you received a framed picture with your purchase of you standing by your new Saturn. Too bad they went belly up, their cars weren't luxury by a long shot but they absolutely had customer service down to a science.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I had a dealer once argue with me that nitrogen was a rare gas and it increases performance when in tires. I almost walked away from the deal when he tried to push it for $350.
Nitrogen...also known in the dealer world as "winter air". It's the biggest crock of shit, as are most of the so-called add ons.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I get this line on almost every vehicle I buy, great that they can stay in business breaking even or losing money.
Classic dealer line...but the best comeback to shut them up is "That's unfortunate, but it's a good thing you have your service department to keep the lights on." If you really want to mess with them, ask them what their absorption rate is...that will totally disarm them.
Sponsored