Sponsored

Fobless key

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
.....until one realizes the FOB is needed to start the vehicle:swear:
The RFID chip you need to start the jeep is really tiny. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hiding-the-fob-while-hiking.40787/page-3#post-905236

Edit: I suppose that keyfob with no buttons comes with the sports? You can buy that separately. It's part # 68416785AA and appears to still work with the proximity lock/unlocks and stuff.

It's a shame they didn't make it with a small keyfob! I would totally be interested in it since I never use the keyfob buttons anyway.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I was able to find this key. Any ideas on creating a “handle” of sorts to make using it to open the doors easier?
Drill a hole in it and put it on a key ring like in the pic. That gives you enough leverage to use the key.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I use my door key quite a bit. If you have any bolt locks like a hitch lock or a hood lock when you put it in it keys it to your door key. That's what's nice about boat locks they're made that when you put your door key in it will set the tumblers to work for your door key that you don't have to carry xtra keys around

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
@nvabill
Rather then bothering to remove the fob battery, get and use one of these. This one works well:
https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Dark...ywords=Mission+Darkness+Faraday+Key+Fob+Pouch
Keeping the extra key in the Jeep seems like the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Whether you forget to lock your jeep, have the freedom tops off, or a thief has a slim Jim, they might get some tools or my radio. They find your spare key and your rig is gone. Good luck getting your insurance to pay when they find out you left a key in the vehicle. Do you guys really lose your keys so often that this remotely sounds like a good idea?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Keeping the extra key in the Jeep seems like the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Whether you forget to lock your jeep, have the freedom tops off, or a thief has a slim Jim, they might get some tools or my radio. They find your spare key and your rig is gone. Good luck getting your insurance to pay when they find out you left a key in the vehicle. Do you guys really lose your keys so often that this remotely sounds like a good idea?
@Zandcwhite

How do you think the theif is going to steal/start/drive off with your JL, if they were to find your unchipped Wrangler JL or a JT key?

Also, if you lock the JL / JT with the fob or a door lock button, the vehicle alarm will sound if you unlock the JL with a key.

Insurance provider will pay out for a new radio, a whole vehicle, even if you had left the fob in the vehicle and left the doors unlocked..., had the doors off, the top off or whatever.... Sure they may may shack their head but....

Many Wrangler owner's are very active types... They Sky Dive, Hunt, Swim, Repel, Jog, Run, Scuba Dive, you name it... should also mention the JL Owner's that are nudists... 8-)

...... with that said, many do not want to carry a key or a fob with key so they stash an unchipped key on the outside of the JL and carefully hide a fob in a Faraday Bag in the JL / JT.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
@Zandcwhite

How do you think the theif is going to steal/start/drive off with your JL, if they were to find your unchipped Wrangler JL or a JT key?

Also, if you lock the JL / JT with the fob or a door lock button, the vehicle alarm will sound if you unlock the JL with a key.

Insurance provider will pay out for a new radio, a whole vehicle, even if you had left the fob in the vehicle and left the doors unlocked..., had the doors off, the top off or whatever.... Sure they may may shack their head but....

Many Wrangler owner's are very active types... They Sky Dive, Hunt, Swim, Repel, Jog, Run, Scuba Dive, you name it... should also mention the JL Owner's that are nudists... 8-)

...... with that said, many do not want to carry a key or a fob with key so they stash an unchipped key on the outside of the JL and carefully hide a fob in a Faraday Bag in the JL / JT.

That is even worse than my original thought, stashing an unchipped key on the outside AND a chipped key on the inside, what could go wrong? So the nudists are leaving 100% of their belongings in their Jeep’s, including keys, and traipsing off into the woods? Seems like a good plan for dying of exposure when someone finds your hidden keys. A hitch locker seems like a much more secure means of leaving the key behind if you really find it such a burden. https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS...634912828&sprefix=hitch+locker,aps,646&sr=8-2

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is even worse than my original thought, stashing an unchipped key on the outside AND a chipped key on the inside, what could go wrong? So the nudists are leaving 100% of their belongings in their Jeep’s, including keys, and traipsing off into the woods? Seems like a good plan for dying of exposure when someone finds your hidden keys. A hitch locker seems like a much more secure means of leaving the key behind if you really find it such a burden. https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T-HS7000-Key-Vault/dp/B000I66JEM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2NPCM6Y3WZ2LQ&dchild=1&keywords=Hitch+locker&qid=1634912828&sprefix=hitch+locker,aps,646&sr=8-2
@Zandcwhite

Not going to belabor this whole thing.... Can tell tell you that the Hitch Safe is easily gotten into/compromised...

Last post for me to you on this...

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
That is even worse than my original thought, stashing an unchipped key on the outside AND a chipped key on the inside, what could go wrong? So the nudists are leaving 100% of their belongings in their Jeep’s, including keys, and traipsing off into the woods? Seems like a good plan for dying of exposure when someone finds your hidden keys. A hitch locker seems like a much more secure means of leaving the key behind if you really find it such a burden. https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T-HS7000-Key-Vault/dp/B000I66JEM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2NPCM6Y3WZ2LQ&dchild=1&keywords=Hitch+locker&qid=1634912828&sprefix=hitch+locker,aps,646&sr=8-2
Nudists can use their prison wallet.

I would think a better lock would be a sturdier one of those that realtors use looped to somewhere.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Nudists can use their prison wallet.

I would think a better lock would be a sturdier one of those that realtors use looped to somewhere.
Definitely, my point was unsecured chipless keys on the outside with an unsecured fob on the inside, especially if you’re out in the middle of nowhere seems like a recipe for disaster. If my Jeep gets stolen from the house it’s an inconvenience, if it gets stolen from the backcountry because I didn’t feel like carrying the key (hunting, hiking, etc where you are already carrying things it just seems dumb to leave the key behind) it could easily prove fatal. Swimming, surfing, or naked hiking, I’d at least secure the key in some way before wandering off. Most times a well hidden hide a key would be fine, until it isn’t. I’d feel like a real moron when I came back and found out I was stranded due to my own negligence.

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Definitely, my point was unsecured chipless keys on the outside with an unsecured fob on the inside, especially if you’re out in the middle of nowhere seems like a recipe for disaster. If my Jeep gets stolen from the house it’s an inconvenience, if it gets stolen from the backcountry because I didn’t feel like carrying the key (hunting, hiking, etc where you are already carrying things it just seems dumb to leave the key behind) it could easily prove fatal. Swimming, surfing, or naked hiking, I’d at least secure the key in some way before wandering off. Most times a well hidden hide a key would be fine, until it isn’t. I’d feel like a real moron when I came back and found out I was stranded due to my own negligence.
Yeah, F that noise.

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
I recently got a dummy key (fob-less) for when I go surfing, and local locksmith wanted $45 to cut the "high security" Jeep key? Are they crazy? That is steep!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently got a dummy key (fob-less) for when I go surfing, and local locksmith wanted $45 to cut the "high security" Jeep key? Are they crazy? That is steep!
@mgarciaknight

$45 per blank cut is pretty much the going rate.... what most me too) have paid +- a few dollars.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)