ronhallam

ronhallam

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I hear the steering box bracket is weak and the steering knuckles can not wear good once you lift the vehicle and put on bigger tires.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future. For our children.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i was thinking of replacing my doors and hood with steel versions. just need to find someone to fabricate some for me.

maybe the wheels too..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The steering boxes were switched from aluminum to iron in the 21 model year. There is a Technical Service Bulletin that allows the earlier model years to get the new box. I had that done on my 19 JLUR about 16 months ago. More recently, I switched out the aluminum knuckles for a set of high strength ductile iron Reid Racing knuckles.

To properly support larger tires for the long haul, other weak parts need replacing. Replacing the steering linkages, control arms, and track bars is a good starting point.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum parts on 2018 Rubicon JL 20201009_083109
Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum parts on 2018 Rubicon JL 20201009_105858

Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum parts on 2018 Rubicon JL 20211013_132700
Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum parts on 2018 Rubicon JL 20211013_132453
Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum parts on 2018 Rubicon JL 20211013_132518

OP
OP
ronhallam

ronhallam

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
SO get the iron steering box or just add the piece that reinforces the box?
Jeep pays for the replacement??

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
There is no reinforcement.
It depends on whether the vehicle is still covered by the 3yr/36k mile warranty or not.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There is no reinforcement.
It depends on whether the vehicle is still covered by the 3yr/36k mile warranty or not.
I think he’s talking about the track bar/sector shaft brace, but not positive, not sure why I’m even responding………🙃

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I hear the steering box bracket is weak and the steering knuckles can not wear good once you lift the vehicle and put on bigger tires.
Yes on the steering box, but Mine showed no signs of trouble before replacement. It did slightly improve the steering, but I had no complaints that were related to the steering box. At very very slow speed when cold, the new steel box pulses, which bugs me. The old one didn't do that.

I've got 54k miles on the Mopar lift (installed at 700 miles) and 35's and the knuckles are as tight and sound as they were when new.

Aluminum is not actually weaker than steel, depending on how you look at it. One pound of aluminum is actually stronger than 1 pound of steel, generally. (There are many different types/grades of both.)

I don't know anyone, even running 37's, who has had a steering knuckle fail. I don't recall seeing any reports of that on the forum, either. But if I lived where I rock crawled every month, I'd probably beef up a few things like that. But I also run lighter tires (for a number of reasons.) The current General Grabber X3's weight only 64lbs. I've seen 35's weigh as much as 77lbs (I think Nittos are heavy), but I still don't think that would overstress those knuckles. But time will tell. As I said, mine show no ill effects.

As for other parts, like the hood and doors, they seem fine, won't rust, and also seem to be a little more dent resistant than the steel ones on my JK. Time will tell, though.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future. For our children.
C'mon, man! What do you think, huh? I mean...we gotta, you know, the thing! Well, anyway...

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any steering issues, or are you just hearing alarmist comments about aluminum in general?

As far as those sector shaft braces, in my opinion, I wouldn't waste the money. Track bar reinforcement brackets for the added frame mount rigidity is beneficial, especially for larger tires.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired