Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Self Employed
Ok, I have a 21 Jeep JL sport. I have a Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 44 LSD in the rear. I’m running 35’s and more than likely will never go any bigger. I do have a spartan lunch box locker in the front.
I drive The majority of the time on highway. I do see action on forest service roads and some mild offroading. Mostly at Beasley knob it involves steep accents and descents. On the uphills I do have use 4 wheel drive. This the hardest 4 wheel drive time my Jeep gets. I dont do rock climbing . I don’t risk tearing it up as it is a daily driver.

is the Dana M186 ok for this configuration?
I may be regearing at some point and don’t wanna throw money in the axle if it sucks and won’t last for what I do. Like I said I don’t do anything crazy, just some steep climbs.

Beasley knob
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I would say don't worry about it. I have been running the Dana 30 up front in my 2010 JKU with 35's for about 8 years with no issues. Most of my off road driving is pretty similar to what was in your video.

If you start to go a bit more extreme, you can always beef up the Dana 30 with new sleeves and c gussets and it should take you anywhere you want to go.

OP
OP
workky

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I would say don't worry about it. I have been running the Dana 30 up front in my 2010 JKU with 35's for about 8 years with no issues. Most of my off road driving is pretty similar to what was in your video.

If you start to go a bit more extreme, you can always beef up the Dana 30 with new sleeves and c gussets and it should take you anywhere you want to go.
Does the locker in the front put more stress on everything?
or is it good enough

OP
OP
workky

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
The terrain is steeper that it looks in the video.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have open diffs in my Jeep so I can't speak from experience on the locker adding stress, but I would imagine you are fine. I did a lot of reading a while back on whether it was worth it to find a junkyard Dana 44 to swap in, and couldn't justify it. A beefed up Dana 30 is more cost effective and can handle a lot more than people give it credit for.

Also, to add more detail on my perspective, I have not strengthened my Dana 30 at all.

OP
OP
workky

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
What’s the weak point on the m186?
Axles? Tube?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
FAD joint is the weakest part in my opinion. The M186 is considerably beefier than the D30 that was in the JK.
But to do a FAD delete properly, don't you need to replace the axle shaft(s)? A lot of arguments are that by the time you regear and replace the axle shafts wouldn't be a similar upgrade to go to a D44 takeoff?

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I'd like to do a FAD delete and regear my Jeep (once FCA/Stellantis is off the hook).

Edit: I answered my own question: The Dana Spicer kit provides a connector which beefs up the axle separation so a new axle shaft is not necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
workky

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Is the fad the weak link because of multiple shafts? I assume so, I reckon. I also assume the fad delete option is like driving around with your hubs locked? For lack of better analogy

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Is the fad the weak link because of multiple shafts? I assume so, I reckon. I also assume the fad delete option is like driving around with your hubs locked? For lack of better analogy
It’s not the shafts that are weaker, it’s the housing. If you do some searching you’ll see people are breaking the housing where the FAD motor connects. There’s a big cutout in the axle tube so not ideal. The 44/210 sufferers from the same problem.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Workky, go to agree with the above statement the the location of the FAD is the weakest point on the front axles tube on all JLs. Seen and read about many fellow JL owners breaking them there.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
If you're still wondering OP, if the others haven't made you feel comfortable with the D30, I'll chime in too and say the terrain you're doing and the tires you're running shouldn't be a problem at all for you. Just one more voice saying, don't worry about it, just drive it and enjoy.