Key fob not detected

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
I’m getting this intermittent issue where my ‘18 JLU Sport won’t detect my key fob. Fob won’t unlock the doors (don’t get the red light on the fob like when it works). Have to use the manual key to unlock then it sets off my alarm and I have to press the fob to the start button to start the engine. Not a fob battery issue. Happens with both fobs and one fob has a brand new battery.
I noticed sometimes I get the red dash light flashing which I believe is the security light.
I heard there is a fuse that you can pull and replace after 30 or so seconds that resets this.
Thinking it was a security issue I pulled F05 Security Gateway fuse but that didn’t work.
Is there a different fuse I should try? Or is this a bad RF module and trip to the dealership?
thanks.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I’m getting this intermittent issue where my ‘18 JLU Sport won’t detect my key fob. Fob won’t unlock the doors (don’t get the red light on the fob like when it works). Have to use the manual key to unlock then it sets off my alarm and I have to press the fob to the start button to start the engine. Not a fob battery issue. Happens with both fobs and one fob has a brand new battery.
I noticed sometimes I get the red dash light flashing which I believe is the security light.
I heard there is a fuse that you can pull and replace after 30 or so seconds that resets this.
Thinking it was a security issue I pulled F05 Security Gateway fuse but that didn’t work.
Is there a different fuse I should try? Or is this a bad RF module and trip to the dealership?
thanks.
@Bowhunter23

The F05 fuse in the PDC, is for the "Security Gateway" and that has nothing to do with such an issue... the issue you are having..

It is a good practice though to routinely push down any and all in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) as just that wards off some electrical Gremlins.

You may have read, about JL owner's pulling F97 which, causes UConnect to immediately reboot. This is helpful with many UConnect related issues...

IF you were saying your Proximity was out, etc., I would say try an F97 fuse pull as UConnect deals with Proximity on/off as it has settings for same.

Curious.... when did this issue of yours star?.... has it just been since colder Weather has set in?

You mentioned one fob has a brand new battery and the other does not..... Can tell you that many/most posts here over the last 3 yrs. talking the issue you are having...... were fob battery related.. Guys/Gals, THINK their fob battery is aok and it is not.. Consider buying two, quality CR2450 batteries and putting them in your fobs.... then see if the issue still happens with one or both fobs.

Yes, could be a bad module.... but exhaust all the simple remedies first before that dealer visit... ...

...UNLESS, if you are still under warranty.... if so get to dealer ASAP for this, as your 2018 will soon soon be out of warranty...

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I had this problem once….replaced FOB batteries and pressed fuses. Was fixed after I disconnected the battery and reattached. No problems for the last year….

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I just had this problem this morning on my 18 Sport. Same key fob I’ve been using since I got it brand new. I haven’t used the spare. It took me two tries of pressing the start button with the key fob to get it started. I just figured that with the key fob battery being over 3 years old maybe it’s dying?

FYI no proximity sensor or even electric locks. I rarely even remove the fob from the vehicle.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just had this problem this morning on my 18 Sport. Same key fob I’ve been using since I got it brand new. I haven’t used the spare. It took me two tries of pressing the start button with the key fob to get it started. I just figured that with the key fob battery being over 3 years old maybe it’s dying?

FYI no proximity sensor or even electric locks. I rarely even remove the fob from the vehicle.
Replace your fob battery. By leaving it in vehicle it is most likely "chatting" with the jeep constantly.

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Replace your fob battery. By leaving it in vehicle it is most likely "chatting" with the jeep constantly.
Good suggestion, thanks. I’m going in for my 20k service in the next couple of weeks anyway so I’ll have it done then and if it gets worse in the meantime I’ll use the spare.

BTW is the battery replacement user serviceable?

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'd get it in and have the module for the keyless system scanned. Sounds like the problem is with the vehicle and not the FOB. Even with a cheap new battery, it should work. I've seen people replace their batteries a number of times and come to find out it's not the FOB but the module. As a default, I recommend people just go to a hardware store, buy a 5 pack of the model battery and replace both FOBs at the same time. Keep the rest for next time.

When it comes to batteries, my VW tells you in advance to replace the battery. No matter what super duper best battery ever made with a 5000 star rating on every forum and shopping site along with detailed YT videos of the best of the best, they only go maybe a year on a battery. Makes no difference if you place the FOB 2000 miles away or keep it in the car. Thus like in my advice above, both get replaced at the same time, once that warning comes up.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Good suggestion, thanks. I’m going in for my 20k service in the next couple of weeks anyway so I’ll have it done then and if it gets worse in the meantime I’ll use the spare.

BTW is the battery replacement user serviceable?
Yes, you can replace you're own battery. Pretty sure it's a CR2450 flat battery, although mine is a 21 and I haven't broken it down.

*Edited for correction.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you can replace you're own battery. Pretty sure it's a 2032 flat battery, although mine is a 21 and I haven't broken it down.
@Rufus
@Dyolfknip74
@abnormal4x4

Fob battery for any and all stock JL/JT fob is a CR2450 ......

....and it is very easy to get out of the fob and to place a new one in the fob.

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
@Rufus
@Dyolfknip74

....and it is very easy to get out of the fob and to place a new one in the fob.

Watch first couple of minutes of the video at the link below and you will see how to access / deal with the battery in a stock JL/JT fob..
https://vod-progressive.akamaized.net/exp=1637776611~acl=/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/879/21/529395389/2492239882.mp4~hmac=19421dd4533341773fe70f5e9cccb6a66a14a54cd5253087db5c40b299c2da4d/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/879/21/529395389/2492239882.mp4?filename=Factory+Fob+Disassembly.mp4.mp4

I knew any mention of the fob would summon you. ;)

Thanks for clarification.

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rufus
@Dyolfknip74
@abnormal4x4

Watch first couple of minutes of the video here and you will see how to access / deal with the battery in a stock JL/JT fob..
That is so helpful thank you so much.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is so helpful thank you so much.
@Rufus

Suggest you buy a 2 pack of quality (not cheapo's) CR2450 batteries and change the battery in both of your fobs, not just the battery in the one fob.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rufus

Suggest you buy a 2 pack of quality (not cheapo's) CR2450 batteries and change the battery in both of your fobs, not just the battery in the one fob.
That’s exactly what I was thinking since they are 3+ years old. Thanks.

ca.sowers21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Having this same issue, only since the weather has changed and has gotten colder. I keep the fob in the Jeep in the garage, so it's cold now. The difference I seem to be having is that the remote works, it just isn't recognized by the Jeep. Sitting inside the car, I can remote start it. I can remote start from distance. I can lock/unlock like normal. I just can't push button start with the fob in the car. Once I use the fob to push the button, Jeep starts and after I drive for a bit all seems ok, until I try to start it again. I'll try new batteries to see if that helps.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having this same issue, only since the weather has changed and has gotten colder. I keep the fob in the Jeep in the garage, so it's cold now. The difference I seem to be having is that the remote works, it just isn't recognized by the Jeep. Sitting inside the car, I can remote start it. I can remote start from distance. I can lock/unlock like normal. I just can't push button start with the fob in the car. Once I use the fob to push the button, Jeep starts and after I drive for a bit all seems ok, until I try to start it again. I'll try new batteries to see if that helps.
@ca.sowers21

Not good to do... a mistake..... not wise at al ....... keeping your fob in the JL, all the time...

Do research on this so you understand why.. If you do this keep the fob in a Faraday bag in the JL.

For fob batteries, buy fresh, quality batteries and replace the battery in each fob..

Sponsored