First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I am in Tucson. I tried a sales guy in Phoenix on the "list here" for an order. Started hot out the gate and then fizzled out, silent. I was hoping with the swath of Gekko's in transit to the PDX/TUC area it might not be a total PITA :)
Costco (Chapman Jeep) does a 1% under deal as well. I suspect that Chapman needs to be consistent in their Costco discounting, pandemic or not, or risk losing the local Costco car selling franchise.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I am in Tucson. I tried a sales guy in Phoenix on the "list here" for an order. Started hot out the gate and then fizzled out, silent. I was hoping with the swath of Gekko's in transit to the PDX/TUC area it might not be a total PITA :)
Hello..from Cave Creek..:) Also as a whole, Dealers are more aggressive on their pricing, at the end of the Month, and also even more, the last day of the year. They really want to make their quota...

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I'm assuming they will be at MSRP or above for an on the lot vehicle. Most dealerships are.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
They really want to make their quota...
During the pandemic, many brands cut back on the quota bonuses due to low inventory/volume, so this doesn't necessarily help in the current market.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hello..from Cave Creek..:) Also as a whole, Dealers are more aggressive on their pricing, at the end of the Month, and also even more, the last day of the year. They really want to make their quota...
Hello...from Desert Ridge. :)

This is a classic This American Life episode. It's a blow-by-blow, behind the scenes, at a Jeep dealer on the last day of the month. Entertaining...and real.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars

Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
and real.
Real when there's a volume bonus on the line.

In the days of gross over volume with manufacturers pulling back volume bonuses, it can be a different story.

OP
OP

wponder

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon
Well, I have to see the details but I would say they are being super cool and very up front. Not at MSRP, slightly below. Honest about not really being motivated to go off MSRP much but there is some. Numbers are reflective of being able to remain profitable until inventory uptick targeted around 2023. No allocation to order which makes sense considering the number of vehicles in transit. I will share more once I have it. It would come down to the trade ins

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, I have to see the details but I would say they are being super cool and very up front. Not at MSRP, slightly below. Honest about not really being motivated to go off MSRP much but there is some. Numbers are reflective of being able to remain profitable until inventory uptick targeted around 2023. No allocation to order which makes sense considering the number of vehicles in transit. I will share more once I have it. It would come down to the trade ins
Warren, The dealers likely won't commit to a trade number until your new Jeep arrives. If they do give you a pre-offer it will be low in order to account for uncertainty over time. I rarely sell my own vehicles, but a Wrangler almost sells itself in this environment.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Hello...from Desert Ridge. :)

This is a classic This American Life episode. It's a blow-by-blow, behind the scenes, at a Jeep dealer on the last day of the month. Entertaining...and real.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars
Hi Rick, from your Neighbor just North of you in Tatum Ranch..😄 That Link to the days at a Dealership, well.. let's just say it was so bad, that it was funny..LOL I'm am sure glad, that I was never a Dealer Salesman..:(

OP
OP

wponder

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon
Warren, The dealers likely won't commit to a trade number until your new Jeep arrives. If they do give you a pre-offer it will be low in order to account for uncertainty over time. I rarely sell my own vehicles, but a Wrangler almost sells itself in this environment.
The one that popped up is in transit and could arrive any day. When I looked at ordering your right, that was the case. I totally agree last time I looked I only found one in the country comparable to mine that was a Rubicon. Mine is close to 27K miles. So it's also hard to find one with that low miles. I need to play with the numbers and see if selling it Private Party crushes the Tax saving benefit of a trade-in. There is a chance it will

Last edited:

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Given the trade ins are excellent, paying MSRP would be fine in this market. The JK is 7-8 years old, 36k is close to it's MSRP and Renegades hold zero value practically. Not sure how much more you could possibly ask for.

OP
OP

wponder

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon
Given the trade ins are excellent, paying MSRP would be fine in this market. The JK is 7-8 years old, 36k is close to it's MSRP and Renegades hold zero value practically. Not sure how much more you could possibly ask for.
The value of the trade-ins is why I would go so close to MSRP. Crazy times really..... I was looking at my Rubicon paper work today and what a Rubicon with Xtreme builds out too depending on what you add. Its as much as my 2017 F350 Super Duty was ( LOL )

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Wow, you're gonna get 21k on a 2017 Renegade? I guess prices really are crazy.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Apologies if I am misreading this. Are you are saying that you found a dealership willing to sell you an XR that they have coming in at 3% under invoice? In this market, that would be nuts. If so, you need to jump on that! And probably keep that dealership in mind for the future!

One thing I was wondering: is that price dependent upon trading in the other 2 Jeeps? If so, I guess I get that, if they can make money on each of them. If not, have you checked Vroom? They are paying crazy prices right now. Like private party prices without the private party risk. Just wanted to throw that out as something that might be worth double checking.

OP
OP

wponder

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon
Apologies if I am misreading this. Are you are saying that you found a dealership willing to sell you an XR that they have coming in at 3% under invoice? In this market, that would be nuts. If so, you need to jump on that! And probably keep that dealership in mind for the future!

One thing I was wondering: is that price dependent upon trading in the other 2 Jeeps? If so, I guess I get that, if they can make money on each of them. If not, have you checked Vroom? They are paying crazy prices right now. Like private party prices without the private party risk. Just wanted to throw that out as something that might be worth double checking.
No offer below invoice. It was more advice on IF my offer would be reasonable for one they have in transit, not on the lot yet. As others have said. It basically comes down too. Good enough deal on the trade-ins where it off sets MSRP and the headache of selling them private party. However, it also is a possible path of going private party just because of the crazy offers right now, it might just trump trade-in tax savings.
Sponsored