Exposed Racks vs DeeZee for hardshell RTT

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Basing my post off what I've found that's available for a 4 dr. hardtop. I'll be adding a hardshell Autohome to the roof that's about 150lb. My main questions for existing owners are to see if there are any pros/cons from one rack to the other, things like noise, strength, ease of install, etc. I'm not a fan of drilling the roof at all and think that whole concept is strange and asking for problems, just my $.02... I think I'll only need 3 crossbars and debating to order my rack now so I'll have it by the time I actually get my Jeep, then it's just a quick install and go pickup my RTT. Are there other options I've forgotten, maybe Yakima? Not interested in any platforms and added weight from that, won't be used anyhow.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There's a good reason for drilling the roof. The hard top isn't strong enough to carry significant weight without reinforcement and a RTT is significant weight. Make sure you check static and dynamic load limits and remember that's for on-road use. If you do any off-road driving stay well under those load limits as that will add significantly more stress to the rack, which will result in a cracked hard top. Usually at the upper right and left corners of the rear window, caused by side to side rocking.

I would not be comfortable with going off-road with a RTT on any rack that only uses the hard top for support. Only an exoskeleton rack or a rack that drills through the hard top and transfers weight to the roll bars or body will have the structural strength to support an RTT during off-road use.

I have the Maximus 3 Rhino Rack platform, which requires roof drilling. It's absolutely rock solid and it's aluminum so it doesn't weigh all that much.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
There's a good reason for drilling the roof. The hard top isn't strong enough to carry significant weight without reinforcement and a RTT is significant weight. Make sure you check static and dynamic load limits and remember that's for on-road use. If you do any off-road driving stay well under those load limits as that will add significantly more stress to the rack, which will result in a cracked hard top. Usually at the upper right and left corners of the rear window, caused by side to side rocking.

I would not be comfortable with going off-road with a RTT on any rack that only uses the hard top for support. Only an exoskeleton rack or a rack that drills through the hard top and transfers weight to the roll bars or body will have the structural strength to support an RTT during off-road use.

I have the Maximus 3 Rhino Rack platform, which requires roof drilling. It's absolutely rock solid and it's aluminum so it doesn't weigh all that much.
People have cracked tops offroading with roof top tents mounted with systems that drill on the top. Cracks right where the hole is.

I personally think a RTT on difficult trails is a bad bad idea. For easy and moderate it is ok.

i have an exposed racks system, but i only use it to carry stuff on road and i dont load more than 150lbs on it anyway. Both systems have downsides. But if I was to carry a RTT I would also drill the hardtop.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine

Agree with everything @Reinen stated. I’m running the Frontrunner Slimline Extreme II. It also requires drilling (8 holes) to tie it in to your roll bar and is also rock solid. Very happy with it.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
I've seen quite a few Jeeps running RTTs on the trails and didn't inquire about their setups admittedly, but I don't think it's crazy and so prone to cracking if you don't drill the roof for a rack, maybe I'm wrong. After all, even on 4Runners/GXs the roof rack/crossbars get bolted to plastic inserts to the roof rails, and should you break one and over tighten them you have to pull the headliner to get to them; but has seemed to be plenty for everyone using them all so far....

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
@Reinen nails it above. The hard top racks are limited to 100 lbs or less I believe, and I wouldn't trust it off pavement above that. There is not enough bracing within the top to prevent sideways motion. The best racks for a RTT will mount through the hard top and into the roll bar (Maximus-3, Teraflex), or around the windows and into the tub (Rhino).

Figure the static load of the rack has to be at least the weight of the RTT + weight of yourself & companions + weight of gear for the night + bedding + weight of load bars. Figure the dynamic weight to be all of that minus yourselves but doubled depending on road surfaces and driving style.

The exo-racks (Gobi) can shift and cause body damage like what happened to @Casey250 as shown on his YouTube channel.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Ayit well, I stand corrected lol. Checked with a buddy that works at OK4WD and he said yup just drill it lol, so F. Back to the drawing board it is, and finding a rack solution!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
While drilling is easy to do, it sure is scary. Quadruple check measurements and drill. Once that is over with you do end up with a much stronger roof rack.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
@Reinen nails it above. The hard top racks are limited to 100 lbs or less I believe, and I wouldn't trust it off pavement above that. There is not enough bracing within the top to prevent sideways motion. The best racks for a RTT will mount through the hard top and into the roll bar (Maximus-3, Teraflex), or around the windows and into the tub (Rhino).

Figure the static load of the rack has to be at least the weight of the RTT + weight of yourself & companions + weight of gear for the night + bedding + weight of load bars. Figure the dynamic weight to be all of that minus yourselves but doubled depending on road surfaces and driving style.

The exo-racks (Gobi) can shift and cause body damage like what happened to @Casey250 as shown on his YouTube channel.
The static load for the exposed racks RTT version is about 700lbs. 300lbs dynamic. They use 4 bars and several support feet that distribute the load across the roof. It is not just the rain gutters. People are running this setup without any issues. How far are they pushing it? I dont know. Would I do it? No.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Are there other options I should consider outside these 3 (Rhino Backbone/Maximus-3/TeraFlex), not interested in the FrontRunner route, they're overpriced and more than what's needed just for a tent. I think the TeraFlex is only for JK, didn't find anything for a 21-22'.

Sponsored

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
If you don’t want to drill your pretty much faced with an external cage style roof rack.
the weight of the tent plus wind or bodies is a lot for the gutters on the roof.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
If you don’t want to drill your pretty much faced with an external cage style roof rack.
the weight of the tent plus wind or bodies is a lot for the gutters on the roof.
I'm going to have to drill; or I'll say find someone to drill lol. Seems to be the best way anyhow.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
I'm going to have to drill; or I'll say find someone to drill lol. Seems to be the best way anyhow.
Could always go trailer so you don’t have to.
I know the jcr one is both a gutter and they sell support brackets. Kinda sucks this is the only option. Reason I sold my rtt, didn’t want to drill

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Deezee rack is a great option in my opinion. You can easily take it off anytime you want. Supports up to 600 pounds static
Sponsored