First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
stock does not mean every upgrade included just cuz it came from factory, i suppose the 392's or the Hellcat are stock cuz they come from factory? stop with that
You are confusing stock with base.

Back in the days when stock cars were based on an actual modified production car, it had to be based on something that was in stock production. One example would be the Dodge Daytona Charger and Plymouth Super Bird models. NASCAR rules at the time dictated that 500 had be be built for sale to the public. Even though they were crazy, over the top cars thet were stock. Since then the word stock has come to mean unmodified as built from the factory. You will see and hear the terms, stock wheels, stock suspension, etc.

A 392 Extreme Recon is considered stock as long as at it is not modified. Just as a base Sport is stock as long as it’s unmodified.
Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
no hate, but thanks for checking in...I was merely laughing out loud looking at 60k jeeps being called stock...I guess short of a supercharger and wings, we're all stock then...whatever

STOCK is minus all extras, ask websters!
I asked Websters. There are many definitions of "stock" I found at Merriam-Webster, none of which include "minus all extras". The closest is "kept regularly in stock". A stock vehicle sometimes means "in-stock" at a dealership. Neither of these mean minus any options from the factory, and more often than not, includes various options. So, based on that, I would say Stock does not mean "minus all extras".

To further complicate things, Merriam-Webster defines a "stock car" as "a racing car having the basic chassis of a commercially produced assembly-line model", or in other words, it's been heavily modified for racing, but still has the basic chassis. Other definitions (by other online dictionaries) include "A vehicle that is kept and maintained to legal specifications." (which gives a lot of room for extras, lifts, bigger tires, etc.) and "a latticed railroad boxcar for carrying livestock" (which has nothing to do with anything in this thread). It seems there are quite a lot of different valid definitions out there for stock (I won't even get into the stock used for cooking or the butt of a gun), but none of them I am seeing say "minus all extras" or anything similar.

I did look up "base vehicle" as well. For example, Auto Trader defines a base vehicle as "the most basic, no-frills version of the car you are buying." This matches what you are referring to much more than "stock" does.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
stock does not mean every upgrade included just cuz it came from factory, i suppose the 392's or the Hellcat are stock cuz they come from factory? stop with that
It actually does lol. As has been pointed out, stock and base are two different things.

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Here is my “stock” Willy’s. Upgraded to 33” tires which is the same size as the rubicon’s (285/70/R17). Wheels just have a more aggressive offset. Then a winch plate on top of the original plastic bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of stock Jeeps -- no lifts, no big tires 6D84CA29-E711-42B8-99C2-EA778D065BFE

Sponsored

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I would like to see pics of peoples jeeps who run theirs stock. I plan on keeping my jeep stock with no lifts and stock tires on my rubi. I might run 35s when its time for new set but will see. I love the look of jacked up jeeps but lately im diggin the stock jeeps with pizza cutters. Maybe its an age thing.
I do plan on light off-roading, and know a stock Rubicon is very capable as is!
100% factory stock, as it was when it rolled off the line.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of stock Jeeps -- no lifts, no big tires 20200428_140653