Sponsored

JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It)

Steel vs 7075 Aluminum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
ok interesting and good to know. is that time actually installing the seat? I have a shop area to do the cutting, but lets say without painting, actual time on my needs installing the seat and bolting down?

Cheers!
It’s 4 bolts and an electrical connector so it depends on your tool setup and how handy you are. I’ve been playing around with the different seat jackers and spacing washers between my driver and passenger seats, as well as installing lumber in the passenger seat so I’ve had them loose and out a bunch over the last few weeks. First time was maybe 20 minutes to loosen, mount the jackers and tighten back down using a manual socket wrench and I’ve now gotten it to maybe 2 minutes to completely loose and another 3 to torque them down using my cordless impact.

Trick is to bring the seat all the way forward, loosen the rear 2 bolts, then move it all the way back to get to the front 2. My seats had 2 connectors underneath, one for airbag and I think the other was for seat heaters. I carefully tipped the seat to the side and it pulled right out.
Sponsored

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Any tool recommendations?

I will buy an angle grinder to do the cuts

and Will a standard torque wrench
It’s 4 bolts and an electrical connector so it depends on your tool setup and how handy you are. I’ve been playing around with the different seat jackers and spacing washers between my driver and passenger seats, as well as installing lumber in the passenger seat so I’ve had them loose and out a bunch over the last few weeks. First time was maybe 20 minutes to loosen, mount the jackers and tighten back down using a manual socket wrench and I’ve now gotten it to maybe 2 minutes to completely loose and another 3 to torque them down using my cordless impact.

Trick is to bring the seat all the way forward, loosen the rear 2 bolts, then move it all the way back to get to the front 2. My seats had 2 connectors underneath, one for airbag and I think the other was for seat heaters. I carefully tipped the seat to the side and it pulled right out.

thanks for that detailed reply. That helps a lot

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
Any tool recommendations?

I will buy an angle grinder to do the cuts

and Will a standard torque wrench

thanks for that detailed reply. That helps a lot
T50 Torx, standard torque wrench that will do 35 ft/lbs and a long extension makes it easy to get the inside front bolts out.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
ok interesting and good to know. is that time actually installing the seat? I have a shop area to do the cutting, but lets say without painting, actual time on my needs installing the seat and bolting down?

Cheers!
That Time was start to finish. From starting to haul things outside, to walking inside with the last of my equipment. I didn't time individual sections of the install.

But I'd say that actually installing the seat wasn't super easy, I definitely struggled with getting it lined up properly I'd say that probably took over an hour.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DesertDoesIt

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor, 2015 Lexus GX460, Fiero
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
Desert Does It BFCM sale is 15% Off - November 22nd-30th

BFCM2021

Free Shipping as usual

Valid on purchases made Today through November 30th.

2tall4red

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2021 JLUR 4xe soon!
Occupation
Account Manager
Just finished my install. 3 hrs total 1st to last bolt. Unreal the difference these make. Like a new Jeep. I’m 6’5” and 330 lbs. my knee was against the dash now I have 5-6” space. The seat feels more bucketed now due to the increased rake. Like others commented now you feel like your in your Jeep and not on top of it. I went full slam 2” drop and it was best for me.

Make sure when you cut the back posts off to check the slammers for secure/flat fit. I needed to grind a bit more off to make them fit perfectly. Also recommend loose installation of the back slammers before you put the seat back in. Just be careful when resetting it you don’t scrape the interior up.

If your considering seat extenders check these out first. Glad I went this direction and now don’t need any extenders. Plus my wife is 5’ 2” so these allow full factory movement and she can still reach the pedals etc.

DDI scores with these. Thanks for the engineering VERY VERY happy customer!

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 F150, 2018 V-Strom 650
Finally got around to installing mine today. Wow, what a difference!! Sitting in the Jeep instead of on top of it is the perfect description. I actually have thigh support now too. I feel like I'm taco'd into my seat. Its incredible how much more I can see out of the windshield, I can see traffic lights and the sky now! LOL. For reference, I'm 6'6" 425, so a pretty big guy. If I lose some padding off my big butt it will only get better.

I had been running the big boy brackets from Misch 4x4 but no longer need them with the seat slammers.

As for my install experience, it went well. Took me 3 hours as well. I could do it much faster next time. If anyone is local I can lend a hand and we could knock it out in 2 hours easily.

Other observations:
- It was only 10c (50f) here today so I used a heat gun to speed up the paint drying process. Watch you don't burn your seats if you do this. It singed my moving blanket I had in place.
- Take the head rest off your seat, makes it much easier to get in/out.
- Cover your door sill with a blanket or something so you don't scratch it.
- If you don't install the rear slammer parts before you put the seat on the Jeep you can easily do it by flipping the seat forward against the steering wheel to get better access. Way easier that trying to do it while its sitting on the floor.
- Don't forget to use locktite! I didn't when I installed my Misch 4x4 brackets and all the bolts were loose.
- Make sure you cover your seat with a moving blanket or similar when cutting/drilling. You'll have shavings everywhere and they are a pain to pick out of the fabric otherwise.
- I did one side with a sawzall and the other with a grinder. Same result either way but the grinder was a bit faster. Just make sure your seat is covered so you don't burn holes in it. My nylon track pants didn't fair too well. Doh!

Huge thanks DDI for making these, it has transformed the Jeep into something I'm actually happy to drive. :like:

If you are on the fence about getting these, don't wait, just do it. You won't regret it. If you are nervous about doing it or don't have the tools, Join a local club, I'm sure someone in your area would be happy to help you out.

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Finally got around to installing mine today. Wow, what a difference!! Sitting in the Jeep instead of on top of it is the perfect description. I actually have thigh support now too. I feel like I'm taco'd into my seat. Its incredible how much more I can see out of the windshield, I can see traffic lights and the sky now! LOL. For reference, I'm 6'6" 425, so a pretty big guy. If I lose some padding off my big butt it will only get better.

I had been running the big boy brackets from Misch 4x4 but no longer need them with the seat slammers.

As for my install experience, it went well. Took me 3 hours as well. I could do it much faster next time. If anyone is local I can lend a hand and we could knock it out in 2 hours easily.

Other observations:
- It was only 10c (50f) here today so I used a heat gun to speed up the paint drying process. Watch you don't burn your seats if you do this. It singed my moving blanket I had in place.
- Take the head rest off your seat, makes it much easier to get in/out.
- Cover your door sill with a blanket or something so you don't scratch it.
- If you don't install the rear slammer parts before you put the seat on the Jeep you can easily do it by flipping the seat forward against the steering wheel to get better access. Way easier that trying to do it while its sitting on the floor.
- Don't forget to use locktite! I didn't when I installed my Misch 4x4 brackets and all the bolts were loose.
- Make sure you cover your seat with a moving blanket or similar when cutting/drilling. You'll have shavings everywhere and they are a pain to pick out of the fabric otherwise.
- I did one side with a sawzall and the other with a grinder. Same result either way but the grinder was a bit faster. Just make sure your seat is covered so you don't burn holes in it. My nylon track pants didn't fair too well. Doh!

Huge thanks DDI for making these, it has transformed the Jeep into something I'm actually happy to drive. :like:

If you are on the fence about getting these, don't wait, just do it. You won't regret it. If you are nervous about doing it or don't have the tools, Join a local club, I'm sure someone in your area would be happy to help you out.
great notes about the install. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I’ll have mine in a week or so.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DesertDoesIt

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor, 2015 Lexus GX460, Fiero
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
Thank you @2tall4red and @YJGUY, I really appreciate the reviews and feedback. Happy to hear y'all finally fit IN your Jeeps.

Just a heads up, one more day of 15% off for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Steve
Desert Does It

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@F800 Princess Auto has moving blankets and a cheap heat gun on sale if you need those too.

j7mm9

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
Thank you @2tall4red and @YJGUY, I really appreciate the reviews and feedback. Happy to hear y'all finally fit IN your Jeeps.

Just a heads up, one more day of 15% off for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Steve
Desert Does It
Hello DDI, do you have plans for additional holiday discounts? I’ve Been checking this thread periodically; I’ve been hemming and hawing over which choice to go with, seat slide extender or one of your products. The reviews are compelling here.

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@j7mm9 As someone who's had both I much prefer the seat slammers. The big boy brackets from Misch 4x4 were nice but they do raise you up the thickness of the brackets. So if your head is close to the roof or roll bar it will make it worse, but you will have more leg room. With the brackets I have a much better driving position, more leg room and don't have to hunch over to see out the front. Just my $0.02

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid
@j7mm9 As someone who's had both I much prefer the seat slammers. The big boy brackets from Misch 4x4 were nice but they do raise you up the thickness of the brackets. So if your head is close to the roof or roll bar it will make it worse, but you will have more leg room. With the brackets I have a much better driving position, more leg room and don't have to hunch over to see out the front. Just my $0.02
Completely agree here. I also had the Misch Big Boy brackets first, and the Seat Slammer Kit is 1000x better.

That being said, I'll sell you my Misch brackets cheap, if you really want to go that route...
Sponsored