First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
I really like the look of the Steel Bumper with endcaps removed, absolutely love how the tires are clearly exposed from the front. Seems like an easy way to make your JL look more aggressive, not to mention seemingly less obstruction for the wheels when off roading.

The steel bumpers feel very strong and sturdy, and I'd imagine they would help protect the Jeep in front-end collisions, so I am not hesitant to remove end caps. Would they actually protect very much in an accident, or should I just remove the end caps and achieve the better look?
Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to say that there would be some protection from them however it seems as though it would be minimal. I removed mine for the very same reason love the look and, how much protection could there be from them? I hope this helps.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Always check with local vehicle laws for bumper width some states may require full width, with the end caps removed you could argue that there is an increased chance of a tire climbing over something making things worse

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It really all depends on what you hit, how you hit it, and how fast you were moving to determine what would happen.

The only negative I can think of to running without the end caps, is a glancing frontal impact with a lower than van or pickup sized vehicle. The front tire would likely climb the opposed vehicle, turning it into a ramp, and cause the Jeep to barrel roll. With the end caps, it would help the Jeep to bite into the front of that same vehicle and spin the Jeep around with a lesser chance of rolling.

That being said, I still think it looks way better without them. Plus, I was having tire rubbing issues with them after switching to 38's.
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to Removing Steel Bumper End Caps 20200628_200652_resized

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E-Commerce
Thanks everyone. All great points!

It really all depends on what you hit, how you got it, and how fast you were moving to determine what would happen.

The only negative I can think of to running without the end caps, is a glancing frontal impact with a lower than van or pickup sized vehicle. The front tire would likely climb the opposed vehicle, turning it into a ramp, and cause the Jeep to barrel roll. With the end caps, it would help the Jeep to bite into the front of that same vehicle and spin the Jeep around with a lesser chance of rolling.

That being said, I still think it looks way better without them. Plus, I was having tire rubbing issues with them after switching to 38's.
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to Removing Steel Bumper End Caps 20200628_200652_resized
Definitely looks better, that’s an awesome pic.

I am still new to this, is that the standard steel bumper and rubicon fenders? What kind of bumper bar is that? If stock flares and bumper it must be the 38’s, looks so aggressive!

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone. All great points!

Definitely looks better, that’s an awesome pic.

I am still new to this, is that the standard steel bumper and rubicon fenders? What kind of bumper bar is that? If stock flares and bumper it must be the 38’s, looks so aggressive!
Thanks!

Yes, factory mopar steel bumper minus the end caps.

The bull bar is the Maximus-3 SLP. Most others are made with 2" diameter tubing, which looks too thin for a Wrangler in my opinion. This one is made with 2.5" tubing, which gives a more beefy look. I also installed the optional frame reinforcement kit for it.

The fenders are factory, but I chopped them to gain about 3.5" more clearance. AAL is the company that makes the replacement fender brace with integrated led sequential turns/drl lights. The Rubicon and Sahara fenders are a 2 piece construction, which makes it easy to remove the bottom half. The Sport fender is 1 piece, which can still be split with a little more effort.

Welcome to the community! Is the 2020 JLUR your first Wrangler? Mine is my first. Many vehicles over the years, but the Rubi is by far the best ever.

OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E-Commerce
Thanks!

Yes, factory mopar steel bumper minus the end caps.

The bull bar is the Maximus-3 SLP. Most others are made with 2" diameter tubing, which looks too thin for a Wrangler in my opinion. This one is made with 2.5" tubing, which gives a more beefy look. I also installed the optional frame reinforcement kit for it.

The fenders are factory, but I chopped them to gain about 3.5" more clearance. AAL is the company that makes the replacement fender brace with integrated led sequential turns/drl lights. The Rubicon and Sahara fenders are a 2 piece construction, which makes it easy to remove the bottom half. The Sport fender is 1 piece, which can still be split with a little more effort.

Welcome to the community! Is the 2020 JLUR your first Wrangler? Mine is my first. Many vehicles over the years, but the Rubi is by far the best ever.
Thanks! Really love the look of yours, I appreciate the info. NY plate color looks great on your grey too. Agreed on the beefier look I noticed it right away. All things I must consider now

It’s my first Wrangler and first 4x4 vehicle. Have only had sports cars before this. It’s only been a week so still on honeymoon with my Rubi but I absolutely love it! Can’t stop staring at it, amazing and timeless design

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Really love the look of yours, I appreciate the info. NY plate color looks great on your grey too. Agreed on the beefier look I noticed it right away. All things I must consider now

It’s my first Wrangler and first 4x4 vehicle. Have only had sports cars before this. It’s only been a week so still on honeymoon with my Rubi but I absolutely love it! Can’t stop staring at it, amazing and timeless design
Warning, the honeymoon may last longer than expected. I'm 18 months into owning mine and I still look back every time I'm walking away from it, still go out at the end of every night to walk around it, and I still take the scenic way when not in a rush to get somewhere. Lol My wife calls it my mistress. Hahaha! She's right, but I don't tell her because she's a 3rd degree black belt and I'd rather avoid the few days having a sore shoulder.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I'm probably the over-thinking minority when it comes to opinions about this, but here are my thoughts:
impact absorbtion aside, there's one other aspect that I think heavily of with regards to "less than full width" bumpers; rock slinging! God knows the Wrangler's windshield is a magnet for rocks: all the rocks on the road are one story, but do you really want to start running into those being flung forward & then bouncing up to hit your own windshield?
I lost the windshield in my wrangler at the 2 month point, no use risking continued incidents...which is why I run full width bumpers AND Racing Optics laminate tear-away on my windshield

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably the over-thinking minority when it comes to opinions about this, but here are my thoughts:
impact absorbtion aside, there's one other aspect that I think heavily of with regards to "less than full width" bumpers; rock slinging! God knows the Wrangler's windshield is a magnet for rocks: all the rocks on the road are one story, but do you really want to start running into those being flung forward & then bouncing up to hit your own windshield?
I lost the windshield in my wrangler at the 2 month point, no use risking continued incidents...which is why I run full width bumpers AND Racing Optics laminate tear-away on my windshield
The wings are far from full frontal protection from throwing stones out ahead. From my own experience, tire poke from under the front fenders has increased how much material I get on my hood and windshield when at or near full turn and accelerating from a stop. Fortunately, it's just been mud being tossed up and driven into its flung path.

But then again, with closer to stock tire sizes the end caps cover more of them than with larger sizes.

Fully stock with 33's
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to Removing Steel Bumper End Caps 20190827_085123_resized

2" lift and 35's and chopped fenders
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to Removing Steel Bumper End Caps 20200423_092612

3.5" lift and 38's
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to Removing Steel Bumper End Caps 20211013_132712_resized

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I really like the look of the Steel Bumper with endcaps removed, absolutely love how the tires are clearly exposed from the front. Seems like an easy way to make your JL look more aggressive, not to mention seemingly less obstruction for the wheels when off roading.

The steel bumpers feel very strong and sturdy, and I'd imagine they would help protect the Jeep in front-end collisions, so I am not hesitant to remove end caps. Would they actually protect very much in an accident, or should I just remove the end caps and achieve the better look?
Anything over a 5mph impact with a reasonably solid object or large animal and the end caps are useless.

I pulled mine off from day one that I had the steel bumper installed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to Removing Steel Bumper End Caps 3ED0AE32-9731-4BFF-BCBE-70524D251376

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
The wings are far from full frontal protection from throwing stones out ahead. From my own experience, tire poke from under the front fenders has increased how much material I get on my hood and windshield when at or near full turn and accelerating from a stop. Fortunately, it's just been mud being tossed up and driven into its flung path.

But then again, with closer to stock tire sizes the end caps cover more of them than with larger sizes.

Fully stock with 33's
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to Removing Steel Bumper End Caps B7F85EC6-B1DC-45D6-9D6C-9D129CAA125A

2" lift and 35's and chopped fenders
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to Removing Steel Bumper End Caps B7F85EC6-B1DC-45D6-9D6C-9D129CAA125A

3.5" lift and 38's
What is that plate relocation
It really all depends on what you hit, how you hit it, and how fast you were moving to determine what would happen.

What is that bracket for your license plate?

I hate my plate sitting in the front.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is that plate relocation

What is that bracket for your license plate?

I hate my plate sitting in the front.
In the first 2 pics above, it's the Maximus-3 Stealth plate bracket. In the 3rd pic, the playe is attached to the fairlead filler plate that is part of the Warn winch mounting kit.
Sponsored