Sponsored

Tommy Mica's back with another Willys Sport video.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Spending $50,000 to $70,000 on a Jeep you plan to take off-road makes little sense IMO.

I’ve seen it in myself: the more expensive Jeep I got, the less willing I was to have it get a scratch.

I can’t get enough of his videos.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Spending $50,000 to $70,000 on a Jeep you plan to take off-road makes little sense IMO.

I’ve seen it in myself: the more expensive Jeep I got, the less willing I was to have it get a scratch.

Roman, Tommy, Andre and Nathan do a great job. And they're totally right: do not ever check boxes of options if you'll not use it at least once a week.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
I've been watching TFL for years, Tommy's first videos were really bad. His voice was scratchy , looked scared to be on camera. But he has really come into it, at this point I prefer his coverage over the other's.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Roman, Tommy, Andre and Nathan do a great job. And they're totally right: do not ever check boxes of options if you'll not use it at least once a week.
According to this option if I don't drive at night at least once a week I should not get LED's... And steel bumper option. So that is a no go too? Since I hope to never have to use the steel is better than plastic option? And also no climate package either since I won't use them till winter. I like your logic.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Auto climate control year round.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

He complains about gearing in every video...a stripped 2 door Rubicon is only $42k msrp. Ordered from one of the many dealers offering 5% below invoice makes it $38k. That's only a few grand more than he spent, and as much as he dislikes the gearing, he states in this video he probably won't address it because "warranty concerns". Especially if you are afraid to modify anything, the Rubicon is such a better value. If Jeep would let you add 4.56 or 4.88's to a Willys Sport a la carte, the price difference might be worth it. 3.45's, especially with the manual are just too tall. The 4.10's and 4-1 transfer case make the manual so much more enjoyable to drive both on road and off. Of course we spent $60k on a Jeep we take off road thousands of miles a year so what sense could I possibly make? Buying a wrangler and not taking it off road, regardless of price, makes no sense to me.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
According to this option if I don't drive at night at least once a week I should not get LED's... And steel bumper option. So that is a no go too? Since I hope to never have to use the steel is better than plastic option? And also no climate package either since I won't use them till winter. I like your logic.
You seem fun and very easy to talk with. I LOVE people who don't pick on micro-details like you for what seems to be an unnecessary long time.

Have a nice day in Denver, it's so beautiful outside.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
He complains about gearing in every video...a stripped 2 door Rubicon is only $42k msrp. Ordered from one of the many dealers offering 5% below invoice makes it $38k. That's only a few grand more than he spent, and as much as he dislikes the gearing, he states in this video he probably won't address it because "warranty concerns". Especially if you are afraid to modify anything, the Rubicon is such a better value. If Jeep would let you add 4.56 or 4.88's to a Willys Sport a la carte, the price difference might be worth it. 3.45's, especially with the manual are just too tall. The 4.10's and 4-1 transfer case make the manual so much more enjoyable to drive both on road and off. Of course we spent $60k on a Jeep we take off road thousands of miles a year so what sense could I possibly make? Buying a wrangler and not taking it off road, regardless of price, makes no sense to me.
Each person needs to live within his means. The extra 5000 may not seem like a lot to you but it might seem like a lot to someone else.

I respect his decision to buy what he can afford.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Each person needs to live within his means. The extra 5000 may not seem like a lot to you but it might seem like a lot to someone else.

Indeed. Living within our means is so underrated these days.

Most YouTubers, like Trail Recon, Instagrammers and Social Media in general, exist in a virtual world where money is no object.

I can understand that a lot of people go online to escape the realities of daily life. Unfortunately, constant exposure to this virtual reality results in a large number of consumers spending beyond their means.

I like how TFL covers big and expensive vehicles, and alternates it with content that brings the financially-constrained reality within which most people live.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It just reminds me of what I always knew. I like all Jeeps, cheap or expensive. I do the same stuff with my 50k JLUR that I did with my $11,000 93 YJ. A Jeep is a Jeep. You work with whatever advantages or limitations each has. A big part of the enjoyment is just seeing what it'll do. And any Jeep will usually suprise you.

What I would not want to do is live with no Jeep at all.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

I'm all for living within your means, but if you can afford a $33k vehicle, you can save a little longer and afford a $38k vehicle. If that's not an option, you really can't afford a $33k vehicle to start with. In every video, and on every podcast, he's shouting from the roof tops that there's "no reason to spend the extra money on a Rubicon". And then in every instance I've seen, he complains about the gearing. That is the number 1 reason to spend the extra money. You'll quickly spend the difference regearing and swapping out the transfer case and still won't have lockers, push button sway bar disconnect, or stronger and wider front axle. I can't tell if he is just adamantly defending his purchase or simply doesn't realize that you don't have to spend $50k plus to get a Rubicon?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Every time he talks about how expensive a Rubicon is, sometimes referring to them costing $50k+ I want to say, you bought a budget Jeep purposely, so what's a purposely inexpensive Rubicon cost? Mine was $41k. Not much more than his Wiilys Sport.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Every time he talks about how expensive a Rubicon is, sometimes referring to them costing $50k+ I want to say, you bought a budget Jeep purposely, so what's a purposely inexpensive Rubicon cost? Mine was $41k. Not much more than his Wiilys Sport.
With all due respect, I think you miss his very clear point. He's having fun around Moab with somewhat of a bone stock Willys Sport. He's not saying you shouldn't buy a Rubicon (he had a Rubi Glady recently, remember), he's saying a Willys Sport does the trick for about 95% of the situations.

That being said, $41K is still $8k more than what he paid. That's a shit load of money for most people. His point is: if you don't want to spend for a Rubicon costs, you can have a ton of fun with a Willys Sport.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
With all due respect, I think you miss his very clear point. He's having fun around Moab with somewhat of a bone stock Willys Sport. He's not saying you shouldn't buy a Rubicon (he had a Rubi Glady recently, remember), he's saying a Willys Sport does the trick for about 95% of the situations.

That being said, $41K is still $8k more than what he paid. That's a shit load of money for most people. His point is: if you don't want to spend for a Rubicon costs, you can have a ton of fun with a Willys Sport.
His point isn't clear when he says things like "you don't have to spend 50,60, or even 70 grand on a Jeep to run even moderately difficult trails". Inflating the price difference in order to argue your budget option is misleading at best and down right dishonest if it's intentional. If you don't mind the terrible gearing, by all means get the Willy's. You probably shouldn't complain about it in every video though?
Sponsored