Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Nope. Looks like a definite repaint job.

There should typically be no bridging. Key for us was if the final paint work looked OEM or better. If it looked like it was repainted and was not up to typical industry standards - then back it went. In the end we got work that was way better than OEM with a lifetime corrosion warranty by an independent body shop to boot.

So maybe bring to some other paint shops and ask their opinion if that looks ok - and if not - can they fix it. Then go back and talk to the shop that did that and listen closely to what they have to say. We did that and ended up with a proper professional paint job. PITA but was worth it.

Neg is that the work may come back worse. So you have to read closely between the lines of what they tell you and make a proper determination. Since we had use of their courtesy car for a month - we were ok with that. Even racked up a couple thousand test miles. Haha!

Shop owner was apologetic and promised to make it good. And he actually did. Paint manager however was an unapologetic idiot as he was in charge of QC. Skipped and bypassed him after that and everything worked out fine.
I totally agree; however my dealer does not offer loaner, and it certainly has been an ordeal.
If corrosion returns, I’ll need to bring it back.
Sponsored

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Have you read ANY wrangler threads its the same issue for YEARS D-A

Sponsored

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Exercise Therapist/Martial Artist
Im in Plymouth, Ma. myself. Mine has 26k on the clock and my paint looks just about the same as yours. It isn't too bad to where im afraid of it flaking off (like Ford hoods) but it is at the point where its annoying. I imagine your fears are much like mine and the body shop wont beable to match the Mojito! As well? Did you check the underside of your hood? Mine is starting to bubble on the underside lip, moving into the outer skin.
Well...here we are. Had the job done at Brigham Gill Jeep Collision in Natick and one year later the bubbling is back...not to mention the overspray Sam Goldman and his boys added to it and now the hood. I'm back in line...Jeep Customer Care are being awesome and I'm trying to get the work done at Herb Chambers Collision Center in Holliston, where they do Rolls Royce, Porsche and Audi.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Closing the loop - finally got all paint work complete and badging reinstalled. Overall the paint match is acceptable - not perfect, but from factory the cowl panels/hood/fenders/grill all had a slight contrast to them in different lights. Now to monitor and make sure no bubbling returns. This was a terrible process that took 3 resprays (completed in 1 visit over 4-5 weeks) and a followup return visit to polish up to match gloss and remove a few surface imperfections. Been working on it since August 25th! If you have this problem, sorry, but stick with it and make the dealer fix it the right way!

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_1423.JPG

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
After 8 days I have my wrangler back. So far so good, very pleased with everyone from Ziegler CDJR in Downers Grove, even got a loaner out of it! Repainted hood and all 4 doors, paint looks like it matches perfect and no more bubbles at the hinges. 2018 white Sahara with 18k miles.

Acme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara Altitude V6
I'm adding my story here, 2019 Sahara Granite Crystal with less than 40K km on it. Hinges on 3 doors where corroded and it had started to spread to the doors. They replaced all hinges on all 4 doors, primed under the hinges and repainted the doors. The paint didn't match so I drove 2 months with doors that didn't match with the original paint... I complained to the dealer. They agreed to take it back to the shop and blend the sides... I just got it back and it now looks close to factory paint. The hard top is still a bit off because they didn't blend it but at this point I'm going to live with it. I can only see it under specific light and angles, and if you don't know, you won't notice. Not a show stopper at this point.

Both times the dealer (JD Dodge Chrysler in Boischatel, Quebec City, Canada) provided me with a loaner while my Wrangler was in the shop for 10 days (20 days total).

Originally the body shop said they were not paid to blend the sides, they eventually worked it out with the dealer so I'm not sure who paid for the work the second time, but I didn't pay anything (still I was without my Jeep for a total of 20 days). The dealer was very helpful and the service director, Mr. Villeneuve, never tried to convince me it was "normal" that the paint didn't match and worked with me to solve the issue to my satisfaction. It just took a little bit of patience on my side.

TBH, I'm flabbergasted by all this and the way FCA is handling this fiasco. The bodyshop told me they had a 2021 that was 9 months old with the same issue a few weeks ago. 9 months!!!! How?? How???? They basically told me I'll be back eventually because it WILL come back, it's not even an "if" but a "when"...

The only positive thing I have to say is this: I'm happy my dealer worked with me, and for me. Kudos to them as I'm reading a lot of horror stories on here. I was thinking about switching because they are a bit far and I have 2 others that are closer to my home, but I'll stick with them. They deserve my business.

Berumva

First Name
Vanessa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Graphic Designer
I have a 2019 Sahara and I noticed my decal bubbling up. Peeled off the High performance 3M vinyl to find bubbled paint and cracks. Going to go to a paint shop and see how much it will cost to have it repainted. Just wanted to contribute to the photo proof of Jeep's failure in quality control.

(conditions: I live in Los Angeles. No trails/off roading. No harsh weather.)
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_8696.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_8697.JPG

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I have a 2019 Sahara and I noticed my decal bubbling up. Peeled off the High performance 3M vinyl to find bubbled paint and cracks. Going to go to a paint shop and see how much it will cost to have it repainted. Just wanted to contribute to the photo proof of Jeep's failure in quality control.

(conditions: I live in Los Angeles. No trails/off roading. No harsh weather.)
FCA'S poor paint preparation is what that's from. Take it to the Dealer should be covered under warranty 5yr or 60,000 miles

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I have read a few pages but not the whole thread. Was this issue ever fixed at the plant? Or, are they still producing Jeeps with the same bolts and all of our Jeeps are going to do this at some point? My new '21 is due in any day now, and this has me worried especially considering I live in upstate NY. Ugh. Any update is appreciated as I don't have time to read over 100 pages. Thanks.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I have read a few pages but not the whole thread. Was this issue ever fixed at the plant? Or, are they still producing Jeeps with the same bolts and all of our Jeeps are going to do this at some point? My new '21 is due in any day now, and this has me worried especially considering I live in upstate NY. Ugh. Any update is appreciated as I don't have time to read over 100 pages. Thanks.
No this hasn't been fixed for the last 20 years. I think this occured on the JK and now JL.

It might be because this only occurs on a percentage of Wranglers. For example, i ordered and bought a JL with a friend on the same day, and picked up the same day. I have corrosion on 2 hinges, and he has none.

It's a chance you have to be willing to take.

The issue has to with production at the plant, somehow I think it cost more $ to fix their workflow at the assembly line, versus customer taking it in for warranty fix.

TBH, I think most people just let the bubbles stay and get rid of their Wranglers for a newer model year, before it gets real bad. Mainly because its a PITA to get it fixed.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Still same process at plant. People either sell or trade before it starts and don't get to experience it, its out of warranty so they can't get it fixed except at their expense so they live with it, or if they plan on keeping go through the agony of getting it warrantied.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
to add on to my post,
Im pretty sure the aluminum doors etc, are suppose to be dipped/treated in some sort of acid to inhibit corrosion, my guess is they do a half ass job and get paid minimal for their work, thus no QA, and no one cares. At the end of the day, it’s they know you’ll be buying an iconic Jeep.
Sponsored