Sponsored

JL Rubicon Resale (private party)

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Carvana guy got out of his car and handed me my check. Didn’t even look the vehicle over, but it was in perfect condition.

I would consider any of the big 3, but my experience with Carvana was perfect.

They sold the vehicle 2 weeks later for $600 more than they paid me. All the books said they paid me dealer retail.

Couldn't have been happier.
This isn't the HellaYella is it?
Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I went on Vroom late last week for the heck of it to see what i could get for my JLUR and they offered me $53K for it. Their previous highest a few months ago was $51K. Holy moly.

$53K was the MSRP back in 2019 when i bought it and paid $46K for it at 8% below invoice. Add sales tax at time of registration and total paid was $49K. To drive the Jeep for 2.5 years and 27K miles and make $4K on it is unbelievable stuff.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Carvanna paid me in my driveway when I handed them the keys. Letting the vehicle out of my sight without payment would be a hell no from me.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
This isn't the HellaYella is it?
It was an SUV I sold before I got my Jeep.

I will try all of them for the Jeep in the spring, but doubt they will be anywhere near what I can get locally. Carvana was offering 3K over what I paid last time I looked. I haven't tried the other two because, for whatever reason, I don't want my VIN out there until I'm ready to sell.

The local dealers have no Wranglers, haven't for months, and of the hundreds of Wranglers tooling around locally, I've only saw one other yellow, it was an older 2 door soft top. All the rest are white, black and 60 shades of grey. The local market is ripe for a Hella.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Carvanna paid me in my driveway when I handed them the keys. Letting the vehicle out of my sight without payment would be a hell no from me.
Yeah it was just a risk/reward thing. I think @JPJr70 and I had the same thought process. In my case it was a $4k difference from anyone else. And there's enough first hand experience out there that Vroom seemed like enough of a known quantity to take the gamble. Not really any experiences of people getting truly screwed. More just feedback about the process being drawn out.

I was really surprised that my Vroom pickup actually involved the driver doing the inspection on site and my check being mailed the same day. So that makes me think Vroom might be working towards a more Carvana type experience.

Sponsored

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
Just got tracking info from Vroom on my checks!
No word about negotiating the price down because they found some new chip or damage that magically appeared.
So I expect it's the full amount they promised.

One goes to the bank directly for payoff, the other to me.
I'll follow up once checks are in hand and cleared!

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
currently in the process of selling my wrangler to vroom.

MSRP was $53500, they offered me $56900. no brainer.
That's amazing and crazy at the same time.

Not that I doubt you but this makes no sense. Why would anyone pay more than MSRP for a mass produced used vehicle?

You have to ask yourself; How does it make financial sense? (Jeeps are not a collector vehicle or a long term appreciating asset).
Would anyone here do that?

I know I wouldn't....ever.

Someone at some point is going to get burned.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon

Not that I doubt you but this makes no sense. Why would anyone pay more than MSRP for a mass produced used vehicle?

You have to ask yourself; How does it make financial sense? (Jeeps are not a collector vehicle or a long term appreciating asset).

Yeah I'm super curious to see what Vroom ends up selling my Jeep for. They paid me about $850 less than original MSRP for my 2018. And listed if for sale for less than $200 more than they paid me. I understand Vroom blowing through money in an attempt to gain market share, but, to your point, is an actual person then going to essentially pay MSRP for a used 2018 Jeep? Certainly the pandemic has created a wild supply/demand situation, but that seems extreme!

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm super curious to see what Vroom ends up selling my Jeep for. They paid me about $850 less than original MSRP for my 2018. And listed if for sale for less than $200 more than they paid me. I understand Vroom blowing through money in an attempt to gain market share, but, to your point, is an actual person then going to essentially pay MSRP for a used 2018 Jeep? Certainly the pandemic has created a wild supply/demand situation, but that seems extreme!
My thoughts exactly.

Sponsored

Bernikcor

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My experience with Vroom back in June/July was a breeze. I tried a few local dealerships, Carvana, Car Max, KBB, and Vroom. Car Max was comparable, but I was awaiting a JL and chose to draw out the process. I had a clean 2017 JK two door (AC, auto, hard top only) with minimal mods. Vroom offered me $28,250, which was what I paid for it 4.5 yrs/45,000 miles ago. Car Max offered $27k, Carvana in the $26k range, and dealers $23-25k.

I received a Vroom offer on 6/20, the Jeep was picked up on 7/2, and funds were available via bank draft on 7/6 in the full amount. Packages and mail are often lost to our address, so I thought a bank draft, into an account I rarely use, was the solid choice. The only issue, while minor, was a lack of communication with the driver. He called on 7/1 asking to pick up the vehicle within two hours, however, it did not work with my work schedule. When he arrived the next day we chatted about our love for Jeeps, he took some quick photos, gave me the bill of lading, and was off within an hour. I emailed the bill to Vroom and within hours they responded funds were being submitted to the bank. Since it was a holiday weekend a delayed deposit was expected.

One thing to note, there was a Vroom office within an hour of my location. I was informed if I hadn’t sent the title & paperwork to the corporate office in Texas they would have honored the Vroom (email) offer and bought it on the spot. 10/10 for overall experience

I picked up my JLURD the next day from New Smyrna Jeep (thank you Chase) and the JK sold less than a month later for $250 more on Vroom.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel

My local news said new car prices were expected to climb 10% in 2022. So I guess the “profit” goes right back out when buying the new car? I guess the advantage is you get the newer model and drove your old one “for free”.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
My local news said new car prices were expected to climb 10% in 2022. So I guess the “profit” goes right back out when buying the new car? I guess the advantage is you get the newer model and drove your old one “for free”.
Selling and purchasing anything within given market conditions is often treading water. Selling in an up market, and then re purchasing, means you are likely subjected the same inflationary market you profited from. (Wordy, but I think makes the point). It can take a lot of work, risk and fees (Tax and license) to do a model year or two upgrade.

My experience with Vroom back in June/July was a breeze. I tried a few local dealerships, Carvana, Car Max, KBB, and Vroom. Car Max was comparable, but I was awaiting a JL and chose to draw out the process. I had a clean 2017 JK two door (AC, auto, hard top only) with minimal mods. Vroom offered me $28,250, which was what I paid for it 4.5 yrs/45,000 miles ago. Car Max offered $27k, Carvana in the $26k range, and dealers $23-25k.

I received a Vroom offer on 6/20, the Jeep was picked up on 7/2, and funds were available via bank draft on 7/6 in the full amount. Packages and mail are often lost to our address, so I thought a bank draft, into an account I rarely use, was the solid choice. The only issue, while minor, was a lack of communication with the driver. He called on 7/1 asking to pick up the vehicle within two hours, however, it did not work with my work schedule. When he arrived the next day we chatted about our love for Jeeps, he took some quick photos, gave me the bill of lading, and was off within an hour. I emailed the bill to Vroom and within hours they responded funds were being submitted to the bank. Since it was a holiday weekend a delayed deposit was expected.

One thing to note, there was a Vroom office within an hour of my location. I was informed if I hadn’t sent the title & paperwork to the corporate office in Texas they would have honored the Vroom (email) offer and bought it on the spot. 10/10 for overall experience

I picked up my JLURD the next day from New Smyrna Jeep (thank you Chase) and the JK sold less than a month later for $250 more on Vroom.
It sounds like this worked out great for you and I have no doubt that this is what happened. However, it still defies logic on the buying and business end.

I personally would question anyone's rational and financial sense for purchasing a 4.5 year old used car/jeep With 45k miles on the clock for more (250.00) than the original purchase price from a dealer. Being mindful that these Jeeps are not at collector status by any stretch. I'd be interest to hear if anyone here would consider being on the purchasing end of a deal like that. If so I've got a few nice cars to sell you! 😎

Further, I see some red flags with Vrooms business model "IF" they are only clearing $250.00 on a complicated and labor intensive vehicle flip. To have to pick up, transport and deliver a used vehicle, hold (store) it for approx 30 days while it's on the market, write and file paperwork, advertise and carry the risk and costs associated with doing so, quickly exceeds the 250.00 profit that they would have made. Simply put there is no profit margin at $250.00 for all of the costs associated with the simplest of vehicle transactions- especially when you are also paying overhead, costs and fees associated with operating a business.

Again, it makes zero sense, unless losing money is the goal. No matter how you add it up, the math doesn't pencil out. I know used cars are up almost 24 percent, but they were never even close to that % of the cost of a new car and likely never will be-unless production completely stops.

I believe we will look back at this as one of the craziest things we have seen in the open market. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, It cannot continue without collapse and that is likely right around the corner. I guess we will all see if this (post) ages as well as our Jeeps! Yikes...

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Makes sense. The guy on TV was saying that it also put them in debt for renewed term. He said a lot of people are finding that out who tried to do this with their homes.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I wanted to share just how crazy it seems to be to deal with carbuyerusa.com.
I'll resist the temptation to comment further. Here's a few screenshots which capture the up-front process.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon Resale (private party) carbuyerusa1

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon Resale (private party) carbuyerusa2

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon Resale (private party) carbuyerusa3

So many red flags here. This seems incredibly amateurish and vague. Any thoughts?
Sponsored