Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
not sure how valid it is but ive always heard, going on 25+ years, that its against CA vehicle code to drive on the street with a roll cage and you can certainly be ticketed, if not have your car impounded for being an unsafe vehicle. of course we see people do it. my buddy had a convertible mustang with a full cage in it he would daily drive lol. typically only the CHP are really aware of stuff like that. local cops are busy doing real police work lol
More hearsay nonsense. There is nothing in the CA vehicle code about roll bars or cages. The only thing they could possibly ticket you for is if your cage was built in a way that prevented safe operation of the vehicle. ie blocking vision, etc.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
More hearsay nonsense. There is nothing in the CA vehicle code about roll bars or cages. The only thing they could possibly ticket you for is if your cage was built in a way that prevented safe operation of the vehicle. ie blocking vision, etc.

Exactly! VC 26708 is a common enforceable ticket for roll cages on street vehicles. Nothing I know of specific to roll cages.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Exactly! VC 26708 is a common enforceable ticket for roll cages on street vehicles. Nothing I know of specific to roll cages.
A well designed cage follows the A and B pillars, thereby not obstructing the view out the windshield or front side windows. Assuming you don't add a dash bar and vertical windshield bar/bars even 26708 isn't applicable.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
A well designed cage follows the A and B pillars, thereby not obstructing the view out the windshield or front side windows. Assuming you don't add a dash bar and vertical windshield bar/bars even 26708 isn't applicable.
I would not even consider a custom cage that does not have a dash vertical or v style windshield bars. It’s kind of pointless to leave that safety feature out when you get to that level.

I forgot the company but there is one that makes a bolt on that meets DOT requirements.

Shiner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This forum is harsh. Fixup your jeep and don't off road it - and folks pile on the "mall crawler."

But go out in the offroad and make a mistake and now watch the fur fly.

100k? Oh no, never spend that much.... unless you're talking about running 37" or larger tires, and then the collective JL wrangler forum wisdom will quickly tell you that you're doomed to axle break carnage unless you get "won tons." Get these babies and your build total cost is quickly gonna tick up to six digits: https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assem...s-prorock-xd60-xd60-axle-set-for-jeep-jl.html

Well guess what, this guy upgraded his jeep, went out into the sticks, was having a good time, made a mistake, and now he's paying for it. Sucks. That's a bad day on the trail. But nobody got hurt, so in the end it's only equipment, money and ego. Good on him. I hope he's out there again soon.

Best practice experience advice? Yeah, don't drive into water unless you're SURE how deep it is. I'm sure none of you folks have never done that? Really? The only way I believe that is if you always wheel in a big group and let someone else be the lead jeep at the river ford. Because when you're out there with the family and faced with actually wading in and getting sopped up near your belt buckle and riding around in a cold damp puddle for the rest of the day, most folks will opt to stay on the nice dry shore, say "looks shallow enough" and then hop in and go for it. That usually works. Sometimes, it doesn't.

Damn.
Underrated post.

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....