Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
very nice! Can I drop mine off tomorrow? :)
Sure bring it by…but I’m betting it will be a drive for ya.

If I were to do over again right after getting my Jeep I would have cleaned, clayed, buffed, sealed and waxed…..it would have surely protected the finish more but all I did was wax it a few times and use spray on detailer but I did not realize how much difference power buffing would have made.
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Man we get so much grime by the end of winter, whatever the brine is they put on the roads. Worst is the spokes in the wheels! Anyone have any suggestions for coating wheels for winter? May not last all winter but damn they are hard to clean come spring, stuff is like cement sometimes.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Man we get so much grime by the end of winter, whatever the brine is they put on the roads. Worst is the spokes in the wheels! Anyone have any suggestions for coating wheels for winter? May not last all winter but damn they are hard to clean come spring, stuff is like cement sometimes.
I would try something like this https://www.autogeek.net/wheelwax.html or this https://www.autogeek.net/wg-uber-ceramic-spray-bundle.html

I live in South Texas so salty snowy roads are a non issue but before coming here I was in the Midwest and salt is a killer on most finishes so my plan when I head back that way in a few years is to do a full detail before the onset of winter and do a layered protection like this and put a good sealer on and won’t go thru car washes as the ph of the water in pretty much all the cheapie car washes is hard on finishes and protection, some of the pricier ones have better quality water but still those supposed non marring panels that flip over any vehicle are terrible especially if a gritty dirty vehicle went in front of you as there’s no way to keep them clean of grit so they get dragged over your vehicle and usually scratch it badly

Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing A02D4850-AA30-437E-A22E-6993F39A156E

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
Looks awesome, its a labor of love for sure. Curious, why are your removable roof panels not color coated ? was this factory?

Sponsored

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
Check out Pan's 15 min video. There is an optional protective idea at the 10 min mark:

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome, its a labor of love for sure. Curious, why are your removable roof panels not color coated ? was this factory?
No Sir the black top on the front end are not freedom panels, it’s a Bestop Sunrider they replace the freedom panels which I keep stored in the bag, actually have not had them on since i installed the Sunrider.

Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 87C31B4B-98A3-4B64-B572-29D2169FF778
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 89E59711-45EF-44FE-94AA-7AAC7AC8BA22

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
Your detail looks good. I did detailing at night and would do full paint correction as well as waxing in about 6 hours. One thing you could do to make sure you don't go too fast is to use 1" per 1 second rule. To learn how to do this you make a box using painters tape that is 24" x 24" take a sharper and a ruler and put 1" marks on the 4 sides. Start by going in a top to bottom motion in side the box using the marks and counting 1 second for each mark. Once you do this move he polisher in a side to side motion again 1 second per inch. the marks nd the count helps you get muscle memory. Do this on all sides of the box inside and out by the time you are done with that section you will be going the right speed.

I use the flex direct drive and it makes a different. Using good products also helps. I use a lot of PoorBoy's world predicts and the LC pads. Next time you do a detail skip the wax and try a ceramic costing. .They are actuakky rel easy to do and a lot faster than wax and last longer.

kiddy2fan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer, 2011 Honda Civic
Your detail looks good. I did detailing at night and would do full paint correction as well as waxing in about 6 hours. One thing you could do to make sure you don't go too fast is to use 1" per 1 second rule. To learn how to do this you make a box using painters tape that is 24" x 24" take a sharper and a ruler and put 1" marks on the 4 sides. Start by going in a top to bottom motion in side the box using the marks and counting 1 second for each mark. Once you do this move he polisher in a side to side motion again 1 second per inch. the marks nd the count helps you get muscle memory. Do this on all sides of the box inside and out by the time you are done with that section you will be going the right speed.

I use the flex direct drive and it makes a different. Using good products also helps. I use a lot of PoorBoy's world predicts and the LC pads. Next time you do a detail skip the wax and try a ceramic costing. .They are actuakky rel easy to do and a lot faster than wax and last longer.
Yes ceramic coatings are the way to go and I have found the Gtechniq ones are super easy. I prefer the crystal serum light which only requires one coat and will get you 3-5 years of coverage. I'm still validating that. EXOv4 has the best work time of any coating I have used and is the slickest its rated at 18-24 months. I'm on month 19 on the wife's vehicle and its still going strong. The biggest benefit I have found is how easy the wash process is afterwards. Other than washing the only other maintenance is I top mine with C2 every 6 months to freshen up the coating.
Sponsored